Keeping or selling my Marmont navy velvet

jaskg144

Feb 18, 2016
I went into Gucci a couple of months ago and completely fell in love with the velvet marmont in dark blue. I was completely obsessed with the bag for a couple of weeks after buying it but now I'm finding I just do not find it practical to use. I'm constantly worried about creasing or scuffing the velvet, I can't get it wet in the rain (which is quite limiting, as I live in the UK) and I am just generally obsessed with making sure I keep it pristine, which is unusual as I do not baby my leather or canvas bags at all.

I have the Gucci mini camera bag in beige and completely love it, I've had it for almost three years and I'm still in love with that bag, but this Marmont just does not seem to be working for me. I think its gorgeous and really love how it looks, but I'm not sure whether to let go of it?

My issue with selling is, on the resale market this bag seems to be going for around half of the RRP, even in perfect condition, which I feel is a shame, which is one of the reasons I'm holding onto it.

Would love to hear from others about the wear and tear, usability, etc. of this bag

TIA

Attachments

• 58358569604__9422564C-C6A8-456E-BB0F-8777AEBC90D1.JPG
    58358569604__9422564C-C6A8-456E-BB0F-8777AEBC90D1.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 254
Wow tough situation....Gucci resale truly sucks, always has for some reason. Being as though that is the case, I always purchased Gucci with the intent of keeping forever. The one bag (sukey) I did sale I orig purchased at an amazing sale price. So when I resold, I only lost $50 bucks. With that being said I say she is a keeper! Beautiful color and timeless piece that can be styled so many ways. Sometimes you just have to pull your stuff out and wear it! I bet once you do, you will find a gazillion ways to rock that bag. Good luck!

I would hold on to it. It's not an everyday bag, imo.

I just bought one in the petrol blue. I love all the colors.... and I have wanted one for awhile. On a fluke, I came across this one. They are so pretty. I will agree, now that I have it, I don't want it to get ruined. So I plan to use when the weather and the occasion seems a good one. haha. By occasion, I mean, when I won't be carrying my work bag, a lunch and a computer. AND I am not paranoid that it will get schmutzed the whole time :smile: Like date night or weekend lunch plans!

I went into Gucci a couple of months ago and completely fell in love with the velvet marmont in dark blue. I was completely obsessed with the bag for a couple of weeks after buying it but now I'm finding I just do not find it practical to use. I'm constantly worried about creasing or scuffing the velvet, I can't get it wet in the rain (which is quite limiting, as I live in the UK) and I am just generally obsessed with making sure I keep it pristine, which is unusual as I do not baby my leather or canvas bags at all.

I have the Gucci mini camera bag in beige and completely love it, I've had it for almost three years and I'm still in love with that bag, but this Marmont just does not seem to be working for me. I think its gorgeous and really love how it looks, but I'm not sure whether to let go of it?

My issue with selling is, on the resale market this bag seems to be going for around half of the RRP, even in perfect condition, which I feel is a shame, which is one of the reasons I'm holding onto it.

Would love to hear from others about the wear and tear, usability, etc. of this bag

TIA
I say keep! I've actually been contemplating this same question - except I have the burgundy wine colored one. I got mine on the summer sale, so around May. I have yet to use it, since I think it's a more fall geared bag. However, I've sprayed mine with scotch guard, so any water will roll right off now... & once the weather starts cool down, I'm taking this baby out. I like the velvet more than the leather since the colors are so vibrant & less common on the streets in the Marmont collection.

I have the same bag! It is so gorgeous. But, it’s not an every day bag. It is definitely for special occasions. I wear mine on special nights out when I feel like it will look good with my outfit. I haven’t had any quality issues so far. Keep it! Don’t worry about it. Enjoy it!!

Reactions: MooMooVT
I do not own your bag, but I own a velvet bag whose material seems pretty close (a pink Longchamp Funtaisy)
It is not fragile at all, and IMHO you can use your bag carefreely, for velvet is much less subject to marks than many leathers!
But in case you really do not dare to use it, or if it is too small for your needs, maybe selling it quickly as long as it is sought after could be the best solution for you... As in 2 years you'll maybe get 200 € for this lovely bag with an hypnotic colour !

This bag is truly stunning - I can see why you snatched it up! I would keep it for the main reasons most others echoed - you'll find occasions to wear it and the resale value isn't there. It's nice to have a beautiful bag to pull out for special occasions and this seems to fit the bill!

Reactions: laurasaprincess
I say keep! I've actually been contemplating this same question - except I have the burgundy wine colored one. I got mine on the summer sale, so around May. I have yet to use it, since I think it's a more fall geared bag. However, I've sprayed mine with scotch guard, so any water will roll right off now... & once the weather starts cool down, I'm taking this baby out. I like the velvet more than the leather since the colors are so vibrant & less common on the streets in the Marmont collection.
Which scotch guard did you use for it?

I just realised I never replied on this thread - sorry guys! I kept the bag. I just stopped caring about the wear and enjoy it :love: It holds a special place in my heart and it still looks great.

I am so pleased you kept it. I think Gucci does special fabrics so well.

I have a (different) Gucci velvet bag too, slightly more structured. I knew it would be TROUBLE from even before I bought it. But hey-ho, I do actually have other bags for everyday, so when the weather looks OK I wear it, looks amazing day or night. Brands will always make safe, practical bags for everyday. Sometimes, just sometimes, better to be daring and buy and use what you truly love, we can't always play safe.

• Love
Reactions: 880 and jaskg144