Keepall Questions

Tammy518

Just one more...
Jan 3, 2006
I'm considering getting a Keepall. The only one I've ever had was the 45 Cerises one, but I sadly sold it long ago. I remember it not really holding as much as I needed when I had it, though. So if I get another one, I'd like to get a 50 or 55. Just curious as to your opinions on the difference in sizes. In price there's only a $25 difference, so that's not an issue. I would probably be using it for trips by car or plane for a week's duration. Also, I'm not sure I would like the shoulder strap. I'm only 5'2" and I feel like it would really weigh me down carrying it that way, so I'm thinking of getting the one without the shoulder strap.

I've noticed most everyone says they don't check their LV; they use it as a carry on. I'm not sure I would want to use it for that. Besides trying to navigate through a plane, I would probably have a hard time carrying it all through the airport to my gate and then into the overhead bin as I have a bad back. In other words, I like to dump the heavy stuff ASAP and then go on to my gate. But is it a really bad idea to check it? Also, I don't necessarily want my things to get beat up, but I'm not super picky about a scratch or two here and there.

I am in a dilemma as far as whether to get the Monogram or Damier Ebene. I have a DE Speedy that I love, but for some reason, I almost prefer the Monogram for the Keepalls. I did notice the Macassar Monogram, though, so that would do away with the light Vachetta, but is that strictly more a man's bag?

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

As far as sizes go I would go with the 55. If you don't need as much space on a particular trip that's great but you can't add space should you ever need it. However, I would not recommend checking an LV Keepall. Not only because of the inherent dangerof it getting torn, punctured, or otherwise destroyed but of it "disappearing". But if I were you I'd steer clear of a Keepall altogether. You need something with wheels! I believe the Pegase comes in different sizes, possibly as a carry on (I'm sure someone more knowledgable will weigh in) which would eliminate your need to check it.

Speaking of keepalls! I'm getting the 50 tomorrow in monogram. Personally, I wouldn't check any of my LV's in. As a frequent flyer I know how damaged and poorly treated they are. The 50 is a good size to put in the overhead locker but also has enough space for a longer trip. I'm guessing it is a good weekender bag too. As a guy I prefer monogram and with the vachetta. Macassar is great but the gold hardware is swapped with silver and I prefer gold. Also the black leather is less maintenance. Good luck with your choice!

Yeah, you guys are right. It probably wouldn't be a good idea to check it. I'll keep the Pegase in mind. I know it would be more practical. I just love the look of the Keepalls.

I have the Keepall 55 in Macassar and I think it is just the perfect size for a weekend trip. The 45 would be too small, at least for my needs.

I do not find the Macassar masculine at all, but that is my opinion. I love the look of it, you get the monogram print without having to worry about vanchetta. Plus I love the silver hardware and the beautiful aubergine interior:smile:

If you dont like/need the strap you can always take it off. I always keep the strap on and carry it on the shoulder unless it is really heavy.

I have never taken it on a flight, but if I do I will never check it in - my baby will stay safe in the cabin with me:biggrin:

I have the mono 50 and it's the perfect size, IMO. Long enough to carry pants folded once, but compact enough to carry on without hassle. It also only takes up one place in the backseat of a car, which is nice if you're traveling with three people.

That said, I never travel with just my keepall. I usually pack a garment bag or trolley to supplement it.

I have the Monogram Keepall 50. I did a review on YT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV_qucgxvfw&feature=plcp.

I use it primarily for road trips. Like you, I don't think I would use it as a carryon as it could get quite heavy (especially the way I pack). I definitely would NOT check it. Reimbursement for lost bag wouldn't begin to cover replacement cost, not to mention what was inside. I recently purchased the Keepall 45 in DE for a smaller carryon. I did purchase it with the strap as trying to get through airports can be quite challenging, and a shoulder strap would definitely be beneficial. It is going on it's maiden voyage next month.

I have a mono keepall 45 which I use for hand luggage. It does not hold a lot but that's not an issue to me as I don't carry a lot in my hand luggage. I love the look...but must agree it is not the most functional hand luggage piece. If you prefer more room I think a 50 would work too. I find the DE print a tad too masculine especially on bigger bags.

I have the 55damier with strap. Honey this is soft and if you check it it will ome back ripped torn and or soiled. I truly believe that. This bag can get heavy and I wish I had a wheeled one.

I have the Keepall 55 in Macassar and I think it is just the perfect size for a weekend trip. The 45 would be too small, at least for my needs.

I do not find the Macassar masculine at all, but that is my opinion. I love the look of it, you get the monogram print without having to worry about vanchetta. Plus I love the silver hardware and the beautiful aubergine interior:smile:

If you dont like/need the strap you can always take it off. I always keep the strap on and carry it on the shoulder unless it is really heavy.

I have never taken it on a flight, but if I do I will never check it in - my baby will stay safe in the cabin with me:biggrin:

I love your charm in your avatar. Is it currently available, or have you had it a while?

For those of you with the strap, do you find it's heavier/bogs you down more to carry it by the strap or handles when it pretty full?