Keepall 45: Adding Strap on Handle HW Awkward?

theclassic

O.G.
Dec 22, 2010
Hi all! I found a really pretty vintage keepall 45, and was going to pull the trigger... and then realized that it is the strapless version. I am able to purchase a shoulder strap for it, but will it look silly hooked to the handle hardware vs. the sides of the bag (like the B style)? I sometimes wear a shoulder strap with my Alma hooked onto the handle hw and I love it, but I'm worried that the size of the 45 will make the strap placement awkward on the keepall.

Any thoughts? Thank you so much!! ~

Alma is a structured bag and the strap put that way does not exert as much pressure. The Keepall, being much bigger and soft-sided, will look distorted if full and with the longer strap, I think. I am not sure whether it won't tear the bag, too, if too heavy.

The Alma has dedicated hardware for that on the handles. The Keepall is not meant to be used like that. Even a Speedy would suffer from such handling (the handle would be damaged in a few days), but a bigger Keepall definitely would. Not to mention that it would look funny. Please don't.

Reactions: theclassic
Hi all! I found a really pretty vintage keepall 45, and was going to pull the trigger... and then realized that it is the strapless version. I am able to purchase a shoulder strap for it, but will it look silly hooked to the handle hardware vs. the sides of the bag (like the B style)? I sometimes wear a shoulder strap with my Alma hooked onto the handle hw and I love it, but I'm worried that the size of the 45 will make the strap placement awkward on the keepall.

Any thoughts? Thank you so much!! ~

It is highly recommended that you NOT do that to Speedy's without the bandouliere because overtime, the handles would be damaged... I imagine with a Keepall, with so much stuff packed inside, if you were to do that, the handles would probably fall off before you even come back from your vacation or wherever you are taking it. I would suggest you pass on this particular item and just wait for one with a strap because plenty pop up on the preloved market in a great condition.

Best of luck, and I do hope that you don't go through with this purchase because I know it would end it tears... patience is virtue and the perfect Keepall Bandouliere will come its way soon!

I think it depends how heavy you plan to make the keepall. People, including me, have been using straps on original speedys for years and years. I have yet to see a single case of handle damage because of it.
I wanted an epi keepall, so preloved was the only way to go. No bandouliere option. I haven’t needed a strap for it yet, but I would not hesitate to add one if necessary.

I think it depends how heavy you plan to make the keepall. People, including me, have been using straps on original speedys for years and years. I have yet to see a single case of handle damage because of it.
I wanted an epi keepall, so preloved was the only way to go. No bandouliere option. I haven’t needed a strap for it yet, but I would not hesitate to add one if necessary.
Once in a while, LV releases the Keepall B in Épi leather - but it’s usually listed in the men’s section.

Once in a while, LV releases the Keepall B in Épi leather - but it’s usually listed in the men’s section.

I never felt that Épi is OK for a duffle bag like that. I always wanted an Épi version too, but I would just hold it by the handles all the time. The instant big creases would drive me crazy :smile:

I never felt that Épi is OK for a duffle bag like that. I always wanted an Épi version too, but I would just hold it by the handles all the time. The instant big creases would drive me crazy :smile:
Ah yeah... I understand. I think Canvas is perfect for luggage: resistant and easily cleanable.

Reactions: BULL