Keepall 45, 50 or 55 for an airplane???

I have had really good success with my 55 fitting in the overhead bins. The only time it didn't fit was on a small turbo prop plane. They had to gate check it.

I believe the 55 is the largest cabin sized keepall. I see what you mean about he requirements but keep in mind that these are soft sided pieces and will easy shift shape depending on just how packed they are so you can get away with it.

Yes, keep in mind the little commuter planes if you are carrying that bag.

I had a flight on one and got a bulkhead seat, which meant no underseat storage. Rude flight attendant grabbed my Cosmic Blossom PM (with laptop, wallet, etc inside, mind you) and started shoving it in the overhead about halfway back the plane. I tend to be protective of my bags (and my husband would go nuts if he saw the laptop being treated like that) and I politely asked if it could go in the coat hanging area nearer to me, and she flat out said no, that's not for passenger use. No more than one minute later, she takes a larger laptop bag and jacket from another passenger and hangs it nicely inside. Harumph!

It's to the discretion of the gate agent & flight attendant when it comes down to taking it onboard. I too have the keepall 55 & was nervous taking it on a flight the first time. The FA on my flight said I could check it airside if I wanted to, but thankfully I was able to squeeze it in the overhead in a full plane. You're right, the 55 does go slightly above the carry on restrictions, when you look at the measurements. While I haven't had a problem, it's hard to say 100% for sure you won't have an issue- especially if you go with the 55.

i've taken my graphite keepall 55 onto the plane without problems. but then again, i also didn't have to place it into those metal bins for measurement.

hmm something to think about, i tend to stuff everything till its full. i go to Japan every year and i bring back the maximum allowed. i usually take my hermes herline (gm? the biggest size they had =P) and a rolling carry on. a keepall would give me that much more space to bring back goodies =)

1dache1: that sounded like a horrible flight attendent, i hope you filed a complaint. she needs to work on her customer service skills

when i bought my keepall50 two years ago, i asked my SA about the restrictions for carry-on luggage. she adviced me not to take the keepall55 but the keepall50, because it might be a problem to take the keepall50 on board when fully packed.
i never had problems with my keepall50, but friends of mine had to check in their keepall55 and keepall60.

I have the keepall 45 and since I'm petite (5'2 and 115lbs), it's the best size for me and fits in the overhead compartment perfectly well. I think a size 50 or 55 would be too bulky for me to lug around.

Yes, keep in mind the little commuter planes if you are carrying that bag.

I had a flight on one and got a bulkhead seat, which meant no underseat storage. Rude flight attendant grabbed my Cosmic Blossom PM (with laptop, wallet, etc inside, mind you) and started shoving it in the overhead about halfway back the plane. I tend to be protective of my bags (and my husband would go nuts if he saw the laptop being treated like that) and I politely asked if it could go in the coat hanging area nearer to me, and she flat out said no, that's not for passenger use. No more than one minute later, she takes a larger laptop bag and jacket from another passenger and hangs it nicely inside. Harumph!

If you are in a bulkhead seat in a turbo-prop you are screwed. I make sure I get row 2 or 3....
if your 55 is full it won't fit in their overhead bins?
but it does in the seat in front of you?
unfortunately i have to fly on those planes a lot.... but i know i can fit my tumi duffle under the seat, and its abt the same size...., I just looked up all the dimensions online. the 55 is about the same size as the Tumi sport duffle, Tumi is a little shorter but not as tall...

I would never leave my 55 at the skycheck... Its monogrammed

I sit on the side with the two seats, and to be honest, it takes up more than my half, I can't stretch out my legs, and the person to my right looses some space... but that is a sacrifice i'll make for 40 mins to make sure that nobody tosses my 55 around.....