Keep this square mini?

Chial819

Aug 19, 2019
Hi everyone! I was hoping for advice on whether I should return this black lambskin square mini (8 series). I paid slightly below retail and it came with the box, authenticity card, and dust bag. Ranked as “excellent condition” by fashionphile.

I originally wanted caviar but the one I found sold while I was debating it. I didn’t want to settle, but even Japanese ebay sellers are listing caviar minis for $4000 - $5600. I don’t want to pay that much, especially from an overseas seller (customs, difficult returns). I could wait for another caviar mini to show up on a reseller site, but I don’t know when that’ll be (and preloved prices are still increasing) or that it’ll be in good condition.

Should I just keep it since it’s already a “safe bet?” I’ve seen minis with uneven sides/structure loss etc. and this one seems good in that respect. The only things bugging me are that the CC is slightly crooked (lower on the right) and the black pocket is slightly misaligned. Would this bother you or am I crazy?

I was also wondering if anyone can speak to the durability of lamb minis? I assume that bc it’s small, it’d be less prone to scuffs since it’s less likely to bump into things. The mini’s lambskin actually seems sturdier than my vintage Diana’s lambskin.

My last dilemma is whether I even need a black mini. My other Chanel bags are both black (caviar reissue 225 with RHW and medium vintage Diana). I can dress up the mini more than these bags, but I already have a black Givenchy cross3 that works for formal events. I had wanted to add a beige bag to my collection but I’m not sure I’m responsible enough for a light-colored Chanel.

What do y’all think I should do? I’m leaning towards keeping it. And if anyone has suggestions for alternate bags please do share! Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post! :smile:

696C4BAE-BD16-415B-B7FE-BAB4FAD1A3B4.jpeg

681010A5-A99A-4D6B-B63B-9B078A5F9BB7.jpeg

I think with all of those doubts you are better off returning it as I’m afraid you’ll always think of them and not fully enjoy the bag!
Personally, I don’t like the older ones which had a shorter front flap and a smaller logo? They look dated to me but that’s just me as I realize others appreciate the vintage look. I wouldn’t also settle for lambskin if I caviar is what I actually want. Good luck deciding!

I think with all of those doubts you are better off returning it as I’m afraid you’ll always think of them and not fully enjoy the bag!
Personally, I don’t like the older ones which had a shorter front flap and a smaller logo? They look dated to me but that’s just me as I realize others appreciate the vintage look. I wouldn’t also settle for lambskin if I caviar is what I actually want. Good luck deciding!

Thanks for your input! I actually like the vintage aesthetic and the more I look at the bag, the more I like it. I hope the post doesn’t come off as too negative - just wanted to fully flesh out my thoughts. With prices rising I’m just worried I won’t be able to find another vintage mini in good condition for a decent price, and wanting caviar is mainly for durability. I do think the bag is beautiful so this will be a tough decision :smile:

Thanks for your input! I actually like the vintage aesthetic and the more I look at the bag, the more I like it. I hope the post doesn’t come off as too negative - just wanted to fully flesh out my thoughts. With prices rising I’m just worried I won’t be able to find another vintage mini in good condition for a decent price, and wanting caviar is mainly for durability. I do think the bag is beautiful so this will be a tough decision :smile:

It is a beautiful bag I can not deny and if you do want the vintage look then that could be the bag for you!

Reactions: Chial819
Tbh with you, I can’t really see the flaws you pointed out. Also if you don’t say it, no one would probably even notice. However if it bothers you, I’d say return it. If you really want caviar bags, then don’t settle for lamb. Also if I could make a wild suggestion, if that’s the look you like, look into small “Urban Companion”. It has the same look as the vintage square mini. But the price is much friendlier for a caviar bag. I saw them around 3k-3.2k. Good luck ;)

Tbh with you, I can’t really see the flaws you pointed out. Also if you don’t say it, no one would probably even notice. However if it bothers you, I’d say return it. If you really want caviar bags, then don’t settle for lamb. Also if I could make a wild suggestion, if that’s the look you like, look into small “Urban Companion”. It has the same look as the vintage square mini. But the price is much friendlier for a caviar bag. I saw them around 3k-3.2k. Good luck ;)
Thank you for the suggestion, I’ll look into it! And I’m glad you think the misalignments are barely noticeable, I think it’ll be something I can overlook :smile:

Reactions: M00
It looks to be very puffy and in excellent condition for a vintage.

I had the square caviar mini in black in 8 series, I sold it because I kept yearning for a small or medium classic caviar. I had also previously sold the one you have now in lambskin. Now I ended up with a red mini lambskin vintage flap. So I guess in many ways once I had the caviar, I found myself yearning for a mini lambskin again, I didn't like the caviar as much as I thought I would. I know this prob doesn't help at all but just sharing my experience. I will also say I found black with gold hardware mini square looked too dressy on me in both lambskin and caviar. The red makes it look *more casual.

Last edited:
It looks to be very puffy and in excellent condition for a vintage.

I had the square caviar mini in black in 8 series, I sold it because I kept yearning for a small or medium classic caviar. I had also previously sold the one you have now in lambskin. Now I ended up with a red mini lambskin vintage flap. So I guess in many ways once I had the caviar, I found myself yearning for a mini lambskin again, I didn't like the caviar as much as I thought I would. I know this prob doesn't help at all but just sharing my experience. I will also say I found black with gold hardware mini square looked too dressy on me in both lambskin and caviar. The red makes it look less casual.

Thanks for sharing your experience. You raise good points - the black might be too dressy and I do tend to dress more casually. (Not to mention I’m not going to any formal events anytime soon with the pandemic.) I also hadn’t really considered a mini in a different color, besides beige, but I like the idea of navy!

Do you find the lambskin to be durable?

I find the vintage lambskin to be durable, even when you rub little areas you might accidentally scratch it helps enough. I was going to say the navy is gorgeous with the deep gold hardware and way more casual even with the size.

I think Fashionphile accurately depicted the condition of this bag. It looks great to me. I cannot see the crooked CCs or the smile (back) pocket being misaligned. I have both caviar and lambskin minis, but from a few years ago, and have not experienced any issues with my lambskin, nor do I feel I need to baby it. In fact I prefer the lambskin in the mini size, it looks more elegant and most of time I use it for going out to dinner or to show. If I'm going shopping I use my caviar as I feel it to be more casual looking.

I think Fashionphile accurately depicted the condition of this bag. It looks great to me. I cannot see the crooked CCs or the smile (back) pocket being misaligned. I have both caviar and lambskin minis, but from a few years ago, and have not experienced any issues with my lambskin, nor do I feel I need to baby it. In fact I prefer the lambskin in the mini size, it looks more elegant and most of time I use it for going out to dinner or to show. If I'm going shopping I use my caviar as I feel it to be more casual looking.

I agree, fashionphile delivered with this bag, which is why I’m so hesitant to return. It’s also reassuring to hear you don’t feel the need to baby the lambskin, and that you and another poster both don’t notice the crooked CCs. I do already have a caviar bag that I can use casually so this could def be reserved for more dressy occasions. Thanks for your input :smile: