Keep or sell YSL Le Carre

Jan 17, 2022
Hey guys!

So I got this really cute YSL Le Carre satchel in a seasonal color for $1.2k at the outlet store (neutral colors retails at $3,250 online) and it was an impulse buy but I’ve been wanting to add a pop of color to my neutrals bag collection (Lady D in black, Chanel boy in black, YSL sunset in beige, Dior saddle in taupe, Goyard tote in black, loewe in white). But I’m wondering if it’s worth it considering how strong the color is and obviously my previous choices were all neutrals. But what do y’all think? I guess I’m just scared I won’t be able to get the value for my money.

IMG_8796.jpeg

IMG_8666.jpeg

Last edited:
Value for money as in cost-per-wear? Then that's just up to how much you will reach for it and make an effort to use it. :biggrin:

Value for money as in retaining value? Not very much at all. There was a person on this forum about a year ago who wanted to sell that exact bag in black to consignment and their offer was quite low. She asked on TPF if it was a fair offer, and tbh, consignments will give a low offer for a non-logo YSL bag. Consignments will usually cut 30% off retail price for a YSL bag in general and even more for a non-logo one (there are certain exceptions with more popular lines like the Sac De Jour). Also, with a lot of Gucci and YSL bags flooding the market, in general the prices are lower.

Personally that bag doesn't work for my lifestyle. I looks like a smooth leather or one with a very fine grain which is a no-no for me (especially for a crossbody), because I'm very heavy handed and I'll get scratches all over that bag.

I understand the difficulty of incorporating color into a wardrobe.
I am a heavy neutral person myself. A lot of my clothes are black, white, beige, gray, with some occasional olive green and blue. Most of my bags are neutral and I only just started to get into colors last year. I realized blues work very well for me and I got a green bag this year (since I like olive green clothes.)

I guess you just need to take a leap of faith and commit to using it. :smile:

I think the colour looks really very chic on you and the pop of the colour is offset by the classic style.
Is it the Saint Laurent red they call Opium Red, which is a muted mid red? Or is it a more orange-red?

Either way it suits you and I think you were drawn to it which counts for something! Value for money: it’s hard to say but you could ask consignment stores for a quote now to get an idea?

It's a pop neutral in a classic style, not an eccentric color or design, so if that was your goal you did fine! "Value" will come down to if you will reach for it and enjoy using it, that's it entirely. It looks great with your outfit here. :tup:
Value for me would be more on cost per wear I guess and whether I’d reach for it more. I know resale value for a colorful bag will always be less but I already scored this for 60% off retail so it’s not that big a deal for me even I end up selling it again for like $800 or so. Fashionphile currently sells the yellow one for 1.6k.

I’ve always wanted a celine triomphe but couldn’t get myself to spend 4x the cost of this ysl bag that’s why I got really attracted to this! I read a lot that smooth bags like this esp the celine triomphe in black gets so many visible hand prints and scratches. I think I’m going to keep it! :smile:

Value for money as in cost-per-wear? Then that's just up to how much you will reach for it and make an effort to use it. :biggrin:

Value for money as in retaining value? Not very much at all. There was a person on this forum about a year ago who wanted to sell that exact bag in black to consignment and their offer was quite low. She asked on TPF if it was a fair offer, and tbh, consignments will give a low offer for a non-logo YSL bag. Consignments will usually cut 30% off retail price for a YSL bag in general and even more for a non-logo one (there are certain exceptions with more popular lines like the Sac De Jour). Also, with a lot of Gucci and YSL bags flooding the market, in general the prices are lower.

Personally that bag doesn't work for my lifestyle. I looks like a smooth leather or one with a very fine grain which is a no-no for me (especially for a crossbody), because I'm very heavy handed and I'll get scratches all over that bag.

I understand the difficulty of incorporating color into a wardrobe.
I am a heavy neutral person myself. A lot of my clothes are black, white, beige, gray, with some occasional olive green and blue. Most of my bags are neutral and I only just started to get into colors last year. I realized blues work very well for me and I got a green bag this year (since I like olive green clothes.)

I guess you just need to take a leap of faith and commit to using it. :smile:
I think I answered the value question just above this one. I checked the resale value before I bought the bag and am not too worried, got this for 1.2k, lower than what fashionphile sells it for in another color at 1.6k.

More concerned whether I’ll reach out for it more and wondered if I should have just splurged double the price for the green mini jodie or $700 more for the green dionysus wallet on chain. But I can’t get myself to spend over 2k for a colored bag so maybe I’ll keep it for a fun summer color! :smile:

Reactions: jellyv
I think the colour looks really very chic on you and the pop of the colour is offset by the classic style.
Is it the Saint Laurent red they call Opium Red, which is a muted mid red? Or is it a more orange-red?

Either way it suits you and I think you were drawn to it which counts for something! Value for money: it’s hard to say but you could ask consignment stores for a quote now to get an idea?
I think it’s just orange. I’ve used it for two days straight and I am surprised how it matches most of my clothes. I wear a lot of browns, whites, sage green and black.

I did check fashionphile and I bought this cheaper than what they’re selling it for still.

I think it’s just orange. I’ve used it for two days straight and I am surprised how it matches most of my clothes. I wear a lot of browns, whites, sage green and black.

I did check fashionphile and I bought this cheaper than what they’re selling it for still.
It’s a really good orange and I think orange is a neutral! That’s great it’s held its price

I was wondering as am considering the Carre myself - how do you find it to use, is it convenient so far? I know it doesn’t hold that much of course but does it hold cards/phone/sunglasses? And is it very stiff? I heard the strap attachments at the top of bag rotate to make it more comfortable which seems a great touch. Thank you for any advice!

I think I answered the value question just above this one. I checked the resale value before I bought the bag and am not too worried, got this for 1.2k, lower than what fashionphile sells it for in another color at 1.6k.

More concerned whether I’ll reach out for it more and wondered if I should have just splurged double the price for the green mini jodie or $700 more for the green dionysus wallet on chain. But I can’t get myself to spend over 2k for a colored bag so maybe I’ll keep it for a fun summer color! :smile:

So if fashiophile sells it at 1.6k, then that means they'll take about 30% for their commission, which goes down to $1120 left for you.
And I guess it evens out for you so that means you technically won't loose anything.
But that is assuming that it sells. Colored bags are generally harder to sell and sit on websites longer. The longer they sit there, the more the price drops.
This is all from a hypothetical standpoint of course, if you were to sell your bag.

But if you're okay with all of this, then why not! Have fun with it, enjoy it, and when you don't like it anymore, sell it.

I think it’s really a pretty color! I agree with the comment about its being a “pop neutral”. I think that could easily be used year-round. And it does suit you!

Reactions: pursesandshoes
I think it’s great that you’re learning towards keeping it! You got a great deal on it, it is a classic style/shape that is lacking in your collection, and like you mentioned, I think you’ll find the color is very versatile.

Orange really plays well with many other colors - a great pop against neutrals (except black which can look Halloweeny) and denim, looks great with similar tones like pinks and yellows, and also with jewel tones opposite on the color wheel like green and purple.

It’s a beautiful bag - I hope you enjoy it! :love:

So if fashiophile sells it at 1.6k, then that means they'll take about 30% for their commission, which goes down to $1120 left for you.
And I guess it evens out for you so that means you technically won't loose anything.
But that is assuming that it sells. Colored bags are generally harder to sell and sit on websites longer. The longer they sit there, the more the price drops.
This is all from a hypothetical standpoint of course, if you were to sell your bag.

But if you're okay with all of this, then why not! Have fun with it, enjoy it, and when you don't like it anymore, sell it.
Yeap, sold my fendi once to fashionphile so I have an idea how much they pay for stuff outright usually. I probably have gotten a lot of use to this by now as it is suprisingly one of my most used summer bags next to my loewes since I only really wear neutral colors.

So I don't feel regret anymore and I'm keeping it!

It’s a really good orange and I think orange is a neutral! That’s great it’s held its price

I was wondering as am considering the Carre myself - how do you find it to use, is it convenient so far? I know it doesn’t hold that much of course but does it hold cards/phone/sunglasses? And is it very stiff? I heard the strap attachments at the top of bag rotate to make it more comfortable which seems a great touch. Thank you for any advice!
It actually holds a lot! I don't feel it as stiff because it's wide so it's easy to grab things in and out. I can fit my phone, airpods, card case, keys, face powder, and it still has space.

It's been one of my most used summer bags!