Keep or return?

LVLoveaffair

Bagaholic
O.G.
Jul 16, 2009
I recently purchased a pre-loved bag online (not from ebay) but I paid with Paypal. The seller had pics of her bag and she posted a few more when I requested. I got a really good deal but when I received the bag it looked more like a "beater" bag than it did in the pics. And on top of that when I brought it to LV the repair manager pointed out a slight tear in the canvas near the handle. So now LV most likely won't do any repairs!

The seller is going through hard times and is letting go of a lot of her things for really low prices. And now I'm dreading to email her to tell her I want to return the bag.....do I just keep the bag and use it until it falls apart or return it?

I recently purchased a pre-loved bag online (not from ebay) but I paid with Paypal. The seller had pics of her bag and she posted a few more when I requested. I got a really good deal but when I received the bag it looked more like a "beater" bag than it did in the pics. And on top of that when I brought it to LV the repair manager pointed out a slight tear in the canvas near the handle. So now LV most likely won't do any repairs!

The seller is going through hard times and is letting go of a lot of her things for really low prices. And now I'm dreading to email her to tell her I want to return the bag.....do I just keep the bag and use it until it falls apart or return it?
For me it would depend on whether it was a really good deal for the condition it's in.....do you feel it's worth what you paid for it?
If there is a tear in it that wasn't disclosed and it makes the bag worthless, then I'd ask myself if it was such a good deal that it doesn't matter. And maybe it LV wouldn't fix it, could it be repaired elsewhere or would the damage be noticeable?

Since you're feeling sympathetic for the seller, do you know that person?
If not, then you really don't know for sure what their circumstances are. If you do know them, then it may make a difference. Maybe you want to cut them some slack.

Keep this simple: it sounds like you're turning it into a moral dilemma. Any seller, even those in hard times, is supposed to accurately describe and photograph their merchandise. If you like the bag as is and don't mind that it falls short, keep it. But you are within rights, including ethically speaking, to return it.

For me it would depend on whether it was a really good deal for the condition it's in.....do you feel it's worth what you paid for it?
If there is a tear in it that wasn't disclosed and it makes the bag worthless, then I'd ask myself if it was such a good deal that it doesn't matter. And maybe it LV wouldn't fix it, could it be repaired elsewhere or would the damage be noticeable?

Since you're feeling sympathetic for the seller, do you know that person?
If not, then you really don't know for sure what their circumstances are. If you do know them, then it may make a difference. Maybe you want to cut them some slack.
I've seen bags in worse condition sell for $200+ more on ebay. I paid $450 and there's one listed for $700 that looks worse. I'm just concerned that the handle might tear off eventually. I don't know the seller- we were just emailing back and forth before I bought it. I know she had a couple of higher offers for it after I paid. My family and friends think the bag is nice - they think I'm crazy to want to return it.

The fact that the seller is having a difficult time & you are sensitive to that but the
issue is you have a bag that is not in the condition you expected & probably will
not retain the value as you might think it would if the condition was described correctly.

Try to separate the issues here... if you know this person that is one thing but if
not it is the seller's responsibility to describe their item well. It appears your seller
did not do this & while she may have overlooked the tear due to her "circumstances"
if the bag is not what you will wear & enjoy, it should be returned.

The choice obviously is yours...

I emailed the seller and she responded pretty quickly saying she didn't notice any rips or tears and wanted some pics. I sent them off to her and haven't heard back yet....

you should email her through ebay. that way if there is a dispute, ebay can see all your communication.
I was debating whether to start a PP claim so the all the communication is logged but I ended up just emailing her directly. I haven't heard anything back regarding the pics of the tears yet. And I ended up finding another small tear on the bottom of the bag near the piping- it's small but it's there! I think if I don't hear anything in a few hours I'll go through the Resolution center.

^Agreed. You're obviously not happy with it the way it is. It doesn't matter if it was at a great price or what your friends and family think. It matters what you think because you'd be the one carrying it.