Keep or return?

applebutter

Aug 23, 2007
This is the Lou camera bag in sea blue. I hunted her down for months, finally scored it from a Canadian department store (Holt Renfrew). Had it shipped to a friend's home in Canada because the retailer doesn't ship to the US. Friend received it last night, did an unboxing with me, and she was immediately annoyed on my behalf.

It wasn't stuffed or packaged with care, just shoved into the dust bag and into a cardboard box. The tassel is bent, the top of the bag was squished, the hardware on the front was badly places resulting in a pucker/crease, and the strap was bent.

I can live with the strap, it should straighten out with use. I'm on the fence about the hardware; I've seen other Lou camera bags with this issue and people dont seem to mind it. The bigger concerns for me are 1. Can I get that tassel straightened out? and 2. Will the way it's squished at the top resolve with some wear as it's broken in?

Any thoughts or advice?

If I have her return for me, it can not be replaced. This color is sold out everywhere.

received_295446425066557.jpeg

received_326001195196799.jpeg

received_2708505069405793.jpeg

If I have her return for me, it can not be replaced. This color is sold out everywhere.
That’s the point^ depends on how much you love the bag. ITA re the Strap. I don’t see a problem with
The Tassel. If other people have The same issue with the YSL logo, then, if you love the bag, let it go. JMO
Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:
Hmm I usually let a couple of days pass and if the issue still bothers me, I return it. There's no point in settling cause otherwise I'll always be thinking of the flaw and it'll annoy me. BUT if it's something you decide you can live with and you truly love the bag, then you should def keep it :smile: good luck!

• Love
Reactions: jelly-baby and 880
That’s the point^ depends on how much you love the bag. ITA re the Strap. I don’t see a problem with
The Tassel. If other people have The same issue with the YSL logo, then, if you love the bag, let it go. JMO
Good luck with your decision!

You can see the tassel shape better here. I've been trying to find out if there is a way to fix it.

20200815_194150.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 880
Honestly, I think the tassel is cute! The way it’s bend is like a swishy horses tail or a cowlick. Having said that, if it bothers you, you should let it go. (If it bothered me, I might place a book on it to weigh it down — pls do not follow this advice — bc I’m more prone to experimentation than the average TPFer and like my bags to live a dangerous life :smile: I’m a little more forgiving bc you stated that it’s an impossible color to get again and I’m fond of blue.

That is a beautiful color! However that tassel would annoy me. I'm not a fan of the oxidized hardware. That's the reason I didn't get it with the silver hardware and got black. We pay a lot for these bags so they should be in perfect condition as a new bag should be. Now if you got a nice discount, then that's another story.

• Love
Reactions: 880
That is SO frustrating and disappointing!!!!! I just want to give you all my sympathy. We have such craziness going on in the world and we all work so hard... it would not have taken that much effort for them to take more care in packing it.

I personally would give it a day or two and then depending on how I felt, send it back or keep it. Do whatever will bring you joy.

I'm so sorry this happened! It has happened to me as well so I really feel for you. The huge let down after such anticipation and excitement. I hear of this occurring quite frequently from various department stores including Nordstrom and Saks.

I am no expert but I imagine that if you stuff the bag for a few days, likely the top decompression and crease above the Y will improve. A little leather conditioner will also probably help the crease. Leather is malleable and perhaps wrapping the tassel fairly tightly with tissue paper and then hanging it so that gravity works its magic will be of help.

Best of luck!

My heart goes out to you. As mentioned above, we pay toooo much money to receive a bag in this condition. If I was in you place, the creasing in the front would really bother me. Although there is some great advice given by Alebeth, I personally think one should not have to deal with ’fixing’ brand new bags. I would return it because I believe there always a better deal around the corner. Moreover Saint Laurent does the most beautiful coloured bags which are extremely versatile and bearable and every now and then they come out with new colours. I would try my luck with new season colours.

in the end what matters most is what makes you happy and follow that path. I hope it all works out for you.

Reactions: HavPlenty
Wanted to provide an update, finally got my bag last week. I stuffed it and the shape came back, and the tassel straightened out. I couldn't be happier with it!

My BFF in Canada mailed it to me, and there were surprise duties/import fees (the shipper she used assured her that the method she was using would not generate these fees) to the total tune of about $220. That was on top of full retail, so I'm a little salty about that.

The color "Sea Blue" is amazing though. A beautiful mid-tone blue with the smallest hint of teal/green.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

YSL Lou.jpg

Wanted to provide an update, finally got my bag last week. I stuffed it and the shape came back, and the tassel straightened out. I couldn't be happier with it!

My BFF in Canada mailed it to me, and there were surprise duties/import fees (the shipper she used assured her that the method she was using would not generate these fees) to the total tune of about $220. That was on top of full retail, so I'm a little salty about that.

The color "Sea Blue" is amazing though. A beautiful mid-tone blue with the smallest hint of teal/green.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

View attachment 4864023
Stunning! So happy your new bag could be spruced up. I love this distressed/oxidized hardware, especially against this shade of blue. :heart: