Keep or exhange/return?

What do you think I should do???

• Keep both bags!

• Keep the satchel but exchange the Lily for a black satchel or something else...

• Keep Lily but exchange the burnt orange satchel for the black one.

• Return both bags and get something else...

Results are only viewable after voting.

elnrie

Apr 3, 2008
I have 2 dilemmas at the moment and I need my fellow coachies help!

Dilemma #1 – I took my black medium Lily out for the first time today. I think she is really cute but I realize now just how heavy she can get with and without something inside of her. I agree with some of the other coachies that her leather does look dull too. (I haven’t conditioned her yet but I don’t think it will make her any shinier after I do so). Now I feel like returning her after only using her once! :sad:

Dilemma #2 – I already bought and used my large burnt orange hobo when I decided to also get the satchel in the same color. I have a navy satchel and after hearing about how the burnt orange one has been selling fast, I decided to join in on that bandwagon. Now that I received her, I’m wondering if I just have burnt orange overkill with both bags. I do love my hobo although I now wish I got her in black instead so I wouldn’t have this “problem”. I don’t want to return my hobo because I have fallen in love with her and can’t part with her at all. I did like seeing coachfreak’s black satchel all dolled up though and am debating now whether I should exchange my burnt orange one for the black one… :confused1:

Decisions, decisions… All I know is I need to make a decision by Saturday morning when I go to pick up my presale from Macy’s. (I bought both during Macy’s F&F.)

So my options are either to:
* keep both bags,
* keep the satchel and exchange Lily for a black satchel or another bag,
* keep the Lily and exchange the satchel for a black one,
* or just return both bags and get something else in general.

What do you think I should do??? All opinions are greatly appreciated! TIA everyone! :biggrin:

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you're stuck with both of them unless you want to try eBay. You can't return used bags to Coach; you can only return new and unused merchandise. Sorry!

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you're stuck with both of them unless you want to try eBay. You can't return used bags to Coach; you can only return new and unused merchandise. Sorry!

I bought both bags at Macy's. I haven't cut off the tag for the burnt orange satchel yet and although I used the Lily today it is currently sitting in my locked drawer untouched. Plus, I know many of the SAs at the Macy's I might return one of them to, and I don't think they will mind the tag being cut...

Also, I returned my first navy satchel with the tag cut after only using it twice (I am a very careful person when it comes to my bags in general), and they totally returned it for me (maybe because 1) they didn't have any at that Coach store and 2) someone was going to purchase it right after I returned it).

That's interesting how people are reporting their black Legacy bags look dull. My new Bridgit is nice, shiny, and very supple! I do agree with the other posters that you are stuck with the bags if you've used them, though. I would try conditioner on the Lily and see if that helps. Some of the Legacy pieces I know can arrive very dry. My sunflower Bridgit was that way, as was my camel Lily. Conditioning did help in that regard. My sunflower one now looks great, and I was very worried in the beginning.

As for the satchels, my opinion is that they will be restocked as long as there is demand.... I know a SA over the weekend told me the burnt orange will be restocked, and I also see that the patent ones are online as well. I wouldn't worry about that so much at this point, especially since the PCE excludes them. I know they made a lot more of the traditional colors rather than orange and the patent ones, and that's why they sold out so quick at the stores. If you would really like black, I would recommend exchanging the new and unused burnt orange satchel for the black one. That way you would have one burnt orange and one black. The black does not appear to scratch up nearly as bad as the burnt orange does. It's easy enough to take care of, but I know some people don't like the scratching. If it's the style and color you really want, though, then I would say sell your hobo and keep the burnt orange satchel.

I bought both bags at Macy's. I haven't cut off the tag for the burnt orange satchel yet and although I used the Lily today it is currently sitting in my locked drawer untouched. Plus, I know many of the SAs at the Macy's I might return one of them to, and I don't think they will mind the tag being cut...

Also, I returned my first navy satchel with the tag cut after only using it twice (I am a very careful person when it comes to my bags in general), and they totally returned it for me (maybe because 1) they didn't have any at that Coach store and 2) someone was going to purchase it right after I returned it).

Doesn't matter if the tag is on it or not..... I wouldn't want to go to a store and buy a used bag that has been returned. Macy's return policy on Coach bags is the same as if you were to buy it from a boutique....
" We will be glad to refund or exchange any new and unused merchandise. You may return your item(s) to either a Coach Full Price Store or ship your item(s) to our Returns department."

Please don't return used bags, even if it's just once or twice used and the SA @ Macy's will allow it.

It's not fair to us and other shoppers who want to buy a new bag. We want a new bag, not a "new" bag, KWIM?

If you must recoup your $$, please sell them on ebay or elsewhere.

It doesn't matter if the tags are on or not. There isn't a clothing/accessory retailer in the country who has a policy that allows return of used items unless there is a manufacturing defect. I used it and decided I didn't like it doesn't cut it, unfortunately. It doesn't matter if you only carried it a few times and it doesn't matter if you left the tags on it when you used it. Used is used - period. And, like candac3mari3 said, I don't want to go to Macy's, Coach or anywhere else and pay for someone else's used bag. I never use a bag until I know I absolutely love it. If I use it and decide I don't like it I sell it on eBay.

Otherwise, where does it stop? What seems reasonable to you is different than what seems reasonable to someone else. Using it "only" a couple times and deciding it's not for you may seem reasonable to you, while using it a couple weeks and deciding it's not right may seem reasonable to someone else.

^^ I totally agree - if you've used the bag, you should not return it - it's not fair to those of us who assume a new bag we buy from a retailer is just that - new -not used even once! I always make sure I want to keep the bag before I take tags off and use it and I'm also super careful with my bags but would not return to a retailer as new if I'd used the bag - I'd sell it on Ebay at that point.

I definitely agree with everyone. I don't really want to return Lily TBH. I will just have to deal with her heaviness by not putting too much in her from now on.

The tag is still on my burnt orange satchel and is sitting in the box I received her in. I haven't used her at all. I just want to make that clear.

I can see both sides. Don't return something that you have used but honestly, if you took it to the store once and did no damage and are just so disappointed in the weight or feel of the bag then whats the big deal? The bags are mass produced in China and there's a huge mark up on them. They've raised prices significantly in the past few years, we should be HAPPY with them. Now I know there are some that abuse the SA's taking stuff back too liberally and I don't agree with that but if its in brand new condition then I don't see a big deal.

agreed.

Regardless of "how careful" you are when you used the bag, it was USED, and it no longer new. I certainly would not want to buy an expensive bag if I knew it had been previously used. To not disclose the fact that it was used is very dishonest... I know everyone here would be upset if they purchased a bag on ebay that was advertised as "new" when in actuality it had been used.

And who carries around a bag with the tags still on it so they can return it later? It sounds crazy. If you are going to use a bag, then use it. Cut the tags off and be done with it.

Last edited: