Keep Getting Defectives

handbag.gal

Apr 25, 2020
Hi all, this is my first time posting here.

I just bought a Chloe Mini Marcie, my first ever premier designer handbag. I've been eyeing the Chloe Marcie line for years and decided to jump in and bought it from Net A Porter cause somehow it was cheaper than all the other website including tax.

Shipping was quick, 4 days to arrive via DHL. Love the black box packaging from NAP. Unfortunately it went downhill from there. Upon inspection, I found a small hole and scratches on the tassel hardware. I immediately asked for an exchange.

Fast forward to the second bag, the hardwares are all good, but..... There are small sections where the top layer of the leather are scratched off and glue residue on some part of the bag. I'm exchanging this one again.

So my question is, is the quality of Chloe's bag just not that great, or is it NAP quality control that's at fault, or am I just too picky? Keep in mind this is the most expensive bag that I own so far and to keep getting defectives one like these for my first is just so disappointing. It's taking all the joy out of it.

IMG_20200626_095219.jpgIMG_20200708_170953.jpgIMG_20200708_171052.jpg

Unfortunately they are most likely left over bags that they are trying to get rid of. They don’t tend to take very good care of them. I’ve seen pile of bags that are on sale just literally dumped on top of each other.

Unfortunately they are most likely left over bags that they are trying to get rid of. They don’t tend to take very good care of them. I’ve seen pile of bags that are on sale just literally dumped on top of each other.
This particular one were not on sale though. It just works out cheaper compared to all the other websites like mytheresa and Chloe's own website

This particular one were not on sale though. It just works out cheaper compared to all the other websites like mytheresa and Chloe's own website
Not acceptable either way! I will be more inclined to look over certain imperfections if it is heavy discounted. Hopefully you get a new one in good condition. Sometimes it is such a hit and miss with these luxury goods.

Not acceptable either way! I will be more inclined to look over certain imperfections if it is heavy discounted. Hopefully you get a new one in good condition. Sometimes it is such a hit and miss with these luxury goods.
Yeah, hopefully third time's a charm. But even if I get another defective, I've resolved myself to keep exchanging it til I get one I'm happy with cause I learnt that if I asked for a refund, I'll lose the tax/duty because of where I live.

Reactions: HKsai
I received the third bag and this one also has a tiny section where the top layer of the leather is scratched off, revealing a lighter underlayer. Is this a common thing with the marcies? I don't know if I should just keep this and move on.

IMG_20200724_034718.jpg

This looks like manufacturing issue.
You should have kept the first one - was nothing wrong with it. Marcies are extremely hardy, they can be tossed around and take the beating with little effect. Do you chance the next bag having a bigger issue or stay with this one? Do you have time to think about it before returning? I would carry around the house and see how you feel. Like i said - their leather is very tough and doesn't scratch easily.

The first one has a literal hole on the brass part, not just a scratch which I could live with. My picture is blurry so you can't really see the hole.

I've been mulling over this for a few days. Out of the three bags, this is the one I probably could live with the most. But I'm still not totally happy with it.

Last edited:
Terrible glazing. Alignments are all over the place. The black glazing was literally on the canvas. One of them looked like the glazing wasn’t dry and it got brushed onto the canvas. I looked at three then I gave up lol

I’m sorry this has been your first Big bag experience. I didn’t think the items were defective in a quality control sort of way And probably would have kept the first one. ( in some of the enlarged pics I truly could not see the defect or thought it of little consequence. It seemed to me that some tiny nicks may have happened during routine handling or packaging. For relatively pristine NIB merchandise purchased on line, I have personally had good luck buying from either bergdorfs or Saks.com. But, I’m not familiar with the sites you mentioned or with this brand’s bags. (I do have some chloe boots and RTW.

If you keep in mind that leather is a skin and some nicks are inevitable; it might prevent such a disappointment on a subsequent purchase. But, perhaps if these things cause you stress, it’s best to buy in person when things open up more. I tend to think if you return multiple times online, it becomes progressively less likely to get a better item. JMO. I hope you find your next bag soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags