Keep classic patent or exchange for caviar?

ladyjeye

Aug 23, 2013
Hi ladies! Still new to Chanel and recently got a medium/large black patent classic while on vacation. Now that I'm home I'm having second thoughts and wondering if I should return her and wait to get a caviar or lambskin classic and in the jumbo size with ghw.

I need some advice. One moment I'm in love and the next second I'm wondering if it's too shiny to be able to use casually with my outfits. What are your thoughts? Is the patent too much to use for everyday wear? Would a caviar be easier to match casual outfits with and less flashy? Will patent go out of style?

I apologize with the bombardment of questions. My mind is all over the place. I've spent the entire day looking at everyone's pictures of their classics and I can't seem to decide if I want to keep my patent or go with something else, and also if I should go for jumbo size.. I'm pretty short, only 5'1 so I'm afraid that it might be too big if I exchange. I was able to get a boy in a pearly black lambskin with bronze hardware in the medium size (I think) and will be arriving tomorrow from Hawaii :yahoo: I can probably fit more there if I decided to stick to the m/l instead of the jumbo. AAAH! so many decisions!

Thanks in advance for you thoughts. I know I sound so indecisive.

To answer one of your questions, I don't think patent will ever go out of style. It's a matter of personal taste. Maybe you should hold off making such a large purchase until you're more sure what you want.

I have the m/l black patent shw, the m/l black caviar ghw, and the jumbo black lambskin ghw (and others). Each has its purpose. I love patent, on shoes, belts and bags. I've seen a few patent Chanels out and about here in Chicago, ands I've always thought they looked very pretty. I think patent can be successfully coordinated with casual outfits.

I love my patent m/l at dressy events. In January I was at one such event, there were about 7 ladies wearing black classic Chanels in lambskin or caviar. Obviously I'm biased like a proud parent, but I thought my patent stood out a little more in its subtle way. But that is really splitting hairs to a ridiculous stretch, you can't go wrong with any classic as far as I'm concerned.

Being that you chose patent to begin, quit second guessing yourself. Stop obsessing over what others have and enjoy what you prefer. When someone sees you with your patent, perhaps they will be the ones wishing they'd done what you did. It's a beautiful bag. Enjoy it.

I have the m/l black patent shw, the m/l black caviar ghw, and the jumbo black lambskin ghw (and others). Each has its purpose. I love patent, on shoes, belts and bags. I've seen a few patent Chanels out and about here in Chicago, ands I've always thought they looked very pretty. I think patent can be successfully coordinated with casual outfits.

I love my patent m/l at dressy events. In January I was at one such event, there were about 7 ladies wearing black classic Chanels in lambskin or caviar. Obviously I'm biased like a proud parent, but I thought my patent stood out a little more in its subtle way. But that is really splitting hairs to a ridiculous stretch, you can't go wrong with any classic as far as I'm concerned.

Being that you chose patent to begin, quit second guessing yourself. Stop obsessing over what others have and enjoy what you prefer. When someone sees you with your patent, perhaps they will be the ones wishing they'd done what you did. It's a beautiful bag. Enjoy it.

Thank you for putting things into perspective for me. I do love the patent; I think I may have just gotten the Chanel bug today and wanted them all at once. Now that I think about it, the bag itself has sentimental value to me as my husband insisted on getting it for me during our trip and preferred the patent. I think i just got so immensed into the all the gorgeous bags and various options that I forgot to enjoy what's in front of me. Thanks again :smile:

I think patent will never be out of style! I wear my patent mini with jeans! But if you feel that is to flashy for an everyday bag than change in caviar!:cool:

I had a patent bag (not Chanel) that I immediately fell in love with in the store. I wore it a couple of times, but it was too big and too...."fancy", i.e., it could only fit certain occasions, certain outfits. There were many times I wanted to grab it, but it didn't have a shoulder strap, it was too shiny, and I knew it would be weird to carry. It didn't scream the brand (LV), but it would scream the occasion. "I know I'm just grocery shopping, but check out my big shiny purse!"

I know I talk about my patent WOC all the time, but I love it. It's small, can be carried anytime, and due to the size doesn't "flash", yet it's different enough to stand out. And, I can tuck it in bigger bags if necessary.

I'm not sure if any of the blabbering helped you any! However, if I were you, I would switch the patent for the caviar and satisfy my patent love in a smaller piece.

I agree with the above poster: patent will never go out of style. I have a patent mini and adore it--it's so cute and the patent is so luscious. I have seen patent M/Ls occasionally and they are so gorgeous, and I agree that it stands out more. I think also the sentimental value of your husband picking it also would make me keep it. But it's your bag and I think you need to be the one happy with the decision!

While I like patent, I generally reserve it for small leather goods. With larger bags, I prefer more matte leathers. At least this way, I can have both. Just a thought. Good luck.

Thank you for putting things into perspective for me. I do love the patent; I think I may have just gotten the Chanel bug today and wanted them all at once. Now that I think about it, the bag itself has sentimental value to me as my husband insisted on getting it for me during our trip and preferred the patent. I think i just got so immensed into the all the gorgeous bags and various options that I forgot to enjoy what's in front of me. Thanks again :smile:
I think that it's soooo easy to second guess yourself when you've bought a bag. I know there are a few threads out here, but I always experience excitement and then a sense of guilt that I've spent so much $$. Ultimately, though, I'm happy with what I got -- you had your eye on this and there is sentimental attachment? Keep it! Just use this as the springboard for the other bags you want in the future. I definitely find that as soon as I get, say, a black m/l, I'm thinking about the next bag, a jumbo in a fun color, etc. etc. It never ends. Lol!

Thank you all for your input ladies! I'm going to keep the patent I fell in love with at the boutique and enjoy her. There's so much sentimental value that comes with it, especially it being my first Chanel and my DH spending the time to help me decide on it in the first place. I'll just have to start a new Chanel fund for the caviar jumbo :smile: You all are wonderful!