Kate spade... what do you think of the brand as a whole?

I think KS is simple and classic. Her designs and styles are pretty functional (like the diaper bag that you can use as a laptop bag!). She doesn't have the "make my heart flutter" kinda bag, but she has produced interesting bags. I like some of her logo prints, but have branched out to other TPF introduced designers lately (e.g. HH). She also has a pretty good sample sale in NY so I think it's worth checking out.

I think Kate Spade is a very nice brand. The leathers used are wonderful and very supple. I think overall the design of the bags are great - they're simple and don't scream "I'M A DESIGNER BAG LOOK AT ME!!!" :smile:

like 5-6 years ago when this whole handbag craze started in my life, i would go to nordy's and always look at the kate spades. i always wanted the simple black tote, but i always winded up with something else. i still go and look at the kate spades, but like a few of you have said, i just haven't brought myself to buy one. i still enjoy the simple black handbag, and still look, but never buy. hmmm .. and i really don't know why. :confused1:

i think they're classic bags, though.

i have quite a few kate spades..unfortunately they have not seen the light of day since about 2000...lol. i do think they are great bags for the starter collector, and reasonably priced compared to others...i also like the baby bags for mom's. other than that,she needs to do some work to make a comeback as the "it" designer for bags..her accessories are pretty cute though (shoes, wallets, etc.)

I also associated KS with Connecticut, upper east side preppy which is a style that never appealed to me, so I never understood what the big deal was when it was happening in the 90s! I remember thinking too that KS was an awfully lucky lady to have turned simple bags into a big hit!
Funny thing is, she's not from the East Coast, try Kansas City.
One smart cookie though (KS) she sold a huge share of her company to Neiman's at the height of her popularity.
Out of 15 KS bags, I've kept only one, and one pair of shoes.
In this genre of handbag designers I prefer Lulu Guinness bags over Kate Spade bags.

Kate Spade had her moment as the IT bag. And now, it is a classic, preppy look that has become...a classic. The brand is not going to come out with new IT bags, because it has defined its aesthetic -- and you either like it or you don't. Kate Spade was IT just before the whole handbag craze began.

I love them because they don't scream "I'm an IT bag!!!!" That being said, I've never paid remotely full price and I don't think I ever would. For all the law students out there--Westlaw gives them out for free. What I really like about Kate Spade are the shoes! The come in my size, are super comfy and I always get a zillion compliments.