Kate & Andy Spade to step down from Designer & Chief Exec

I always thought her husband's name was Jack too, but apparently Andy Spade helped design the Jack Spade items. Why Jack, I wonder?

Edited to add: I looked up Kate Spade on Wikipedia. According to the site, Andy Spade created the Jack Spade line. Jack Spade is simply a fictional name. Maybe they didn't think Andy Spade sounded as good?

I was totally enamoured with kate spade (everything from handbags and paper to my dishes to my bedding) for years but the lines have definitely changed. I sure hope I do not see kate spade at Ross for $11.99 like I see Liz Claiborne. How sad but I guess its better to be true to yourself and your family than to your business.

Interesting - though I thought the bags were kinda all over the place in recent years. Good luck to them! And yes, those bags better not be at bargain stores and dilute the brand!

I think this will really impact the integrity of the brand because it is her class and simple elegance that has always made hre items so unique. I totally understand wanting to spend time with family though, so cheers to them!

I'm glad they get to spend time as a family... just wondering where the bag design and manufacturing will go. I think it has changed since it was taken over - even with Kate and Andy managing.

I think the Kate Spade brand is over. Everyone is doing it better and cheaper. It is too waspy and boring and...over. She never went anywhere with it after her original looks.
By the way, don't overlook Liz Claiborne! They are doing amazing things at that company. Number one, Project Runway's Tim Gunn is there as design director. Liz Claiborne does amazing mass market versions of top glamorous style. Good quality too. So keep your eye on it.

I think the Kate Spade brand is over. Everyone is doing it better and cheaper. It is too waspy and boring and...over. She never went anywhere with it after her original looks.
By the way, don't overlook Liz Claiborne! They are doing amazing things at that company. Number one, Project Runway's Tim Gunn is there as design director. Liz Claiborne does amazing mass market versions of top glamorous style. Good quality too. So keep your eye on it.

Hopefully Tim Gunn makes things better there, because I've never seen anything by Liz Claiborne that I've liked.

It's kind of sad that they are stepping down. I don't believe it is because they want to spend time with their daughter. This is a spin...They are lucky, they have sold their company twice, once to neiman's, once to Liz Claiborne. But, it is her name, her style, her elegance that made it what it once was. Their paper goods are great, their homewares are great, and if they hire a few designers, with her great direction, the handbags will be great as well...too bad, a sad day.