Justifying Your LV Purchases!

autumn2187

Jan 14, 2010
Hi Everyone,
I am still relatively new to the wonderful world of LV! I will finally be starting my collection soon! I will be making my first purchase(s) (most likely a Damier Ebene Speedy 30 or 35 and an Eva in either Mono or Damier Ebene) in the next few months (hopefully on a summer trip to Paris!:yahoo:). And then I will be saving for a Palermo. After the Palermo I'll probably be looking into a cross body bag, and then continue saving for other LV bags/accessories. My question for you all is how do you justify the amount of money you spend on LV to other people, especially family and those closest to you? I know the people in my life don't really understand my obsession for handbags or LV for that matter. And I'd love to hear how some of you deal with your family/those closest to you. Thanks so much!:smile:

Since my parents are the ones that supply my LV bags, I had to convince them that it was a justifiable cost first. My mom was very reluctant to buy my first Speedy at the time, but she soon realized how LV was something that made me happy and not something that I'd get bored of and never use again after 3 months.
My dad still doesn't really support my designer bag obsession, and he doesn't really know the total value of bags that are sitting in my closet right now. But he knows that I love them and he's bought me a Tivoli GM once. I won't push any further limits onto him, of course, because I know that's all he can accept. :P

For extended family, they are not supportive of my handbag obsession at all. They ridicule why a 18 year old is carrying LV and tell my parents off for buying these things for me. There's not much that I can do about it, except to switch into 'lesser' bags when I'm around them and not let them know anything more than they need to know.

I don't. I work for my money to use as I need/want. It's nobody's business how I spend it. I have very little tolerance for people who feel the need to voice their opinion about how I should spend my money, life my life, etc.
I'm 39 though and have developed a thick skin and people's opinions just don't matter to me.

I justify it to myself and to others by saying that LV is of high quality and classic so that instead of buying 10 handbags a year that are of lower quality and that I will tire of quickly, I buy a couple of quality LV handbags a year that could last me a lifetime. This is true for clothing as well. As I get older, I look for quality, not quantity.

i try not to care what others think! i have some friends and even strangers that roll their eyes when they ask how much was spent on a purse... but who cares? it makes me happy and that's all that matters!

luckily, i have some friends and family that share the same purse addiction that i have so they're very encouraging and extremely understanding.

we justify our purchases by believing we bought it before a future price increase! lol :P:biggrin:

I don't tell my family or friends about the true cost of my purchases. Only dh knows how much I spent on the bags (we have a joint CC).

My family & some of my friends know that the general cost of the bags but we don't discuss it.

I feel like I don't need to justify my purchases. I have a job (though I make almost nothing) and I am still 100% supported by my parents because I'm only 19 and still in college. My money is my money, why waste it on something else that will be worn out sooner? My dad thinks I should save all of my money, but then what's the point of having a job? My mom also thinks the amount I spend is crazy, but she buys 2 bags a year and wears them out, so she doesn't quite understand (though her bags are all premium designer ones as well!)

I don't care if people think I'm crazy, they're just crazy too in other ways :biggrin:

I work in the summer to pay for my bags and tuition, so I don't need to justify my purchases to anyone. My mom loves designer bags as much as me, but she only carries them on special occasions. Luckily, my dad and my boyfriend also understands and supports my obsession.

I don't. I work for my money to use as I need/want. It's nobody's business how I spend it. I have very little tolerance for people who feel the need to voice their opinion about how I should spend my money, life my life, etc.
I'm 39 though and have developed a thick skin and people's opinions just don't matter to me.

ITA, it's all about you that feel if you deserve it or not. Your relatives don't know anything about you. It's you who know yourself best.

i don't really justify it to other people. even though my parents feed my lv habit right now, they probably won't ever be able to justify spending that much on a bag. thats just not where their interests lie. i justify it to myself by telling myself that i haven't purchased on in a long time..hahah

:tup::tup: What she said! I'm grown. I work. I have LV.

Well I am 18, but my parents would never buy me LV. I work hard and I am very exsat on putting money aside for saving and money in the "lLV fund". And that works perfect, I have expensive, beautiful bags but I'm not feeling bad about spending that much money on it sins I save just as much.

I will be using my own money, for everything except my first bag the Speedy (that will be a b-day gift from my parents :yahoo:). So hopefully they can learn to accept my love of bags over time? I am not like some ladies who have a whole closet of shoes.:P My bag collection so far just consists of a few (3 Or 4) coach bags and a ralph lauren tote.

That is exactly how I feel. I work for my own money. So what I spend on is none of other people's business. :tup: