Just wondering ... do any of you ...

Wow, thinking about the issue of multiple identical bags and such makes me really glad that I am an utter clutter-phobe. Otherwise, I'd go broke for sure. I definitely have plans of buying several more H bags in different shapes/colors, but after I attain "critical mass", I'll probably be operating in one in = one out mode.

I just like to know exactly what's in my closet, and having too many permutations would complicate my life, as opposed to enhance it. But I know I'm not the girliest of girls, so maybe I'm in the minority here.

Personally, that's not the way I view collecting H bags. Because each one is made by hand and is a unique creation, I would never want to have two of the EXACT same bag, identical in every way. (I'm not talking about having a collection of all black or all pink bags at all here.) BUT, No back-ups for me. First of all, I can't afford it!! hehe And secondly, I'd just feel like I had too many "things." Keep in mind that this is just how *I* feel and what makes ME happy. :smile: I'm not judging you in any way. This is just my opinion. :smile:

Each bag I buy has to fulfill a need in my lifestyle, wardrobe and heart. I work very hard to keep them nice but I don't worry about them showing wear. That's what the Spa is for! Shoot, I'M growing older and showing Wear!! Why can't my bags?
Also, each bag comes with its own story. Part of the fun of owning these bags is letting them collect memories then passing them on to future generations to collect more memories. To ME, having doubles and triples doesn't fit in with this ideal. My H bag is a BIG extension of my personality, sense of style, and thus, myself. It reflects who I am and the fact that I value things that have great beauty and history. To MEEEE, the need to have a backup bag for every bag, and even a back-up bag for those means that I'm living in fear. And that's something I Do NOT do, in any area of my life. Nope. :smile:

Now, I think it's fine to have a bag that's purely a collectors item, maybe one-two that never get used because of their rarity or history or something. Or, if you really value a good, classic black box Kelly, maybe get another just to save.
But I see this as a different thing than trying to duplicate every bag in my collection.

I'm with Greentea on this one. Hermes has so much variety that I can't see having multiples or permutations of multiples of the same bag. That being said, I only buy PH hardware in new bags ( vintage is another issue). try to stay away from having bags withing the same color family (blues, reds, etc). I'm trying not to feel wasteful for having two blue H bags ( BJ and Thallasa).

The day in and day out of daily living is routine enough for me. My bags ad some variety to life.

However, if you can afford it, and it makes sense to you, do what makes you happy!!!

With all the possible combinations of style/size/colours/leathers ...
I think I would prefer to have an infinity of different H bags...

But I could buy several times the same bag if it had too obvious sign of wear ;)

I can definitely understand why some one would like to have a back-up. Once I left my favourite Chanel flap at a street cafe in Italy (I never did get it back). However all I could think about was not the money, the IDs, the credit cards and all the other vital financial assets that were lost, but "OMG I can NEVER get my Chanel bag back again!!!"

So yes given a chance, I can definitely say that there are a couple of bags in my collection that I'd love to have backups of, just for fear of the sheer pain of losing them (I am a scatterbrain). However, the problem is that which one will become a long-term favorite is never apparent from the beginning, it takes years. By then it's usually impossible to find the same bag again. :shrugs:

Although I would definitely like to have "backups" of certain things such as the perfect pair of black boots, the perfect black cashmere sweater, the perfect white shirt, etc.... I don't think I would ever buy a "backup" H bag. I think of Hermes as bags that will last a lifetime. Isn't that part of the lure of Hermes?

It looks like we need to establish a breeding program for bags! Then they will be a renewable resource. Seriously, though, I don't think I would exactly duplicate anything I have; I wouldn't get another black box 32 kelly - I'd get a 35. I have to force myself to vary my belongings!

i have a friend (who obviously has no issues with money) that buys the same bags with diff. color hardwares (white bags with GH and PH). she also buys the same color bags but different leathers (ex. vert anis in ostrich, lizard, togo etc.). must be nice......she matches it with her jewelry too!

A girl after my own heart! :love:

Although I would definitely like to have "backups" of certain things such as the perfect pair of black boots, the perfect black cashmere sweater, the perfect white shirt, etc.... I don't think I would ever buy a "backup" H bag. I think of Hermes as bags that will last a lifetime. Isn't that part of the lure of Hermes?

ITA^^ I wind up buying multiples of jeans and even shoes but not Hermes. First, the price is a deterrent, and second, I think I carry my bags with enough care that the occasional visit to the spa should be just fine. Having said that, I do veer towards reds (as many do towards black) so I have multiple reds but they are all different shades and some are in different styles. Hardware is not an issue---I'm PH all the way at this point.

I did this alot with Chanel but have tried to curb that habit (so for example i had the medallion tote in black/gold and tan /gold and the shopper in black with gold and tan with gold)...I realized that it is alot more fun to have a larger variety of less similar bags but it has been hard to break the habit!

Hi!

I do have several black bags, but they are all a little different. All my black bags have different leather, and no two styles with the same color hardware. Of course, I don't have so many bags at the moment, but I'm getting there!

I say whatever makes you happy is fine. They're your purses!:smile:

Oh, after reading a few more posts I wanted to say I left one of my tiny Kelly bags on the seat next to me in a London cinema house once (they had a bar inside!) and during the middle of the movie I remembered and went back - and it was still there! Boy I said my prayers that day and was very thankful!

Multiple bags don't appeal to me because Hermes is already so expensive and I prefer to simplify my life and edit my possessions for efficiency. The orange boxes are already threatening to take over my small closet. And I have other expenses to consider (not as much fun as dreaming about Hermes by any means:smile: ...), like my kids' education.
Also, I always discover something new each time I use a different bag. Hermes bags last a long time, so I would think that by the time one gets worn out, I would have changed a lot or learned so much from using that one that I might not even want to buy the exact same bag again.
As for multiple bags in multiple residences, I guess that is a possible consideration if you spend a lot of time in different homes. But chances are, these places have different climate or call for different lifestyles, it is unlikely you would need the exact same bag everywhere. If you love a bag that much, you'd probably travel with it anyway.

If it makes you feel any better, Kou - while I think the idea of having two of anything (or even two of everything) is completely ok, let me add, for what its worth - in my years of toting around Hermes bags (and I suspect I am older than you, maybe even old enough to be your mom) I have never ruined or lost one. Now, I have ruined or lost just about everything else - once as I was walking down the street a couple years ago, someone walked by and burned a cigarette hole in my custom-ordered Kiton suit - ouch! - recently someone accidentally put a big unrepairable hole in my new black cashmere JilSander sweater - more ouch! - but never ever has anything befallen an Hermes bag (hope I have not jinxed it now). I agree with what Greentea says about not living in fear. It helps to remember that, if you damaged or lost one, it can always be replaced - thats what insurance is for.
On the other hand - if you are one of these people who, say, lives and works in both two distant cities like London and New York, or Tokyo and San Francisco, well then, not having to carry the bag back and forth across ocean, makes perfect sense.

By the way, tomorrow, ole "accident prone" here is going to suck it up and go and replace the sweater. Heaven knows, enough money has flown out of this household this month!