Just won the bid but item is FAKE! What can I do?

cloudzz

O.G.
Aug 12, 2010
I just won a bid on ebay but I realized that the seller is selling fakes!! (Reminder: Don't trust their feedbacks! I checked before bidding and she had good feedbacks -> 1 negative review about lost item out of 27xx total feedbacks, so I bid without paying too much attention to the item.) It is a hard-to-find cosmetic item in Canada which I have bought before in other countries. I thought it looked somewhat different from what I got and did a bit research into it. Then it turned out to be FAKE! I can't believe this comes from a "reputable" seller. Has no one noticed that she's selling fakes with all those thousands of feedbacks?

So what should I do now? I have contacted the seller already pointing out that she's selling fakes. I just started ebaying so I really don't know what's going to happen next. And I also don't want a flawed record. Please help anyone?

Your first step is to verify authenticity (or lack thereof) in the Authenticate This section of the forum for the brand of bag you purchased. If it is indeed fake, you aren't obligated to pay for it since selling and shipping counterfeit items is a federal crime.

Good luck!

Your first step is to verify authenticity (or lack thereof) in the Authenticate This section of the forum for the brand of bag you purchased. If it is indeed fake, you aren't obligated to pay for it since selling and shipping counterfeit items is a federal crime.

Good luck!

It's not a bag but cosmetics and I'm positive that it is fake. I won't be paying for it for sure but I don't want to be labeled as a non-paying bidder either. So I wonder if there's anything I can do.

Thanks anyway~:biggrin:

Maybe if tell the seller that you know it's fake and that you want to cancel the transaction? Try explaining the legality of the situation (illegal to sell/ship counterfeit merchandise) it might change their mind about the sale.

Thanks everyone~ The seller cancelled it without providing any explanation. I guess that means she admitted selling fakes right? I'm glad that I didn't use fake cosmetics on my face; that's even worse than using fake handbags!
I don't know if it's just me, but I tend not to worry too much about authenticity on biddings if the seller has a good feedback score. If the price is a bit too low I just think it's because the item is not so popular. Lesson learnt~

Thanks everyone~ The seller cancelled it without providing any explanation. I guess that means she admitted selling fakes right? I'm glad that I didn't use fake cosmetics on my face; that's even worse than using fake handbags!
I don't know if it's just me, but I tend not to worry too much about authenticity on biddings if the seller has a good feedback score. If the price is a bit too low I just think it's because the item is not so popular. Lesson learnt~

Unfortunately a good feedback score doesn't necessarily mean an item is authentic. You should always be wary and have it authenticated if it is something that is authenticable.

Did you actually check it with an authenticator at all? How do you know it is not actually real - do you have a lot of experience with the brand? You said you don't normally worry about doing that. Perhaps the seller cancelled because she didn't want to deal with an allegation of a fake.

If you are 100% positive sure the item is FAKE, email the seller nicely and tell/point out to her that her item is FAKE and you do not wish to complete the transaction and ask her to send you cancel transaction request. ONLY DO THIS IF YOU ARE POSITIVELY FOR SURE IT IS FAKE, otherwise you will have to complete the transaction or seller can report you for non payment bitter and give you a strike.

Sometimes even reputable sellers can get fake items mixed in with their authentic items from time to time. Always best to ask for third party authentication prior to bidding/purchasing on items that could cause very serious heartbreak/heartburn.

Did you actually check it with an authenticator at all? How do you know it is not actually real - do you have a lot of experience with the brand? You said you don't normally worry about doing that. Perhaps the seller cancelled because she didn't want to deal with an allegation of a fake.

I have used that brand before therefore I know what it should be like. I'm not good in telling fakes, but the item was a horrible fake. <- the box it comes in is very different from the authentic ones. I thought something was wrong when I bid on it but didn't pay too much attention to it. But the more I looked at it, I knew something must be wrong. So I doubled checked to be sure, and YES it is fake. I even found a site where these fakes are sold in large quantities, at around 5% of ebay price. LOL

I'm a bit confused here: if you've used this brand before and know what it should be like, and the item was a horrible fake, then why did you bid? You say you thought something was wrong, yet you bid anyway. :shrugs:

The seller cancelled it without providing any explanation. I guess that means she admitted selling fakes right?""

Not necessarily. She, like many sellers, may have decided to cancel rather than deal with a buyer claiming (accurately or inaccurately) that the item is fake. It's not that uncommon for some buyers to regret the purchase and make such claims to avoid having to pay for the items. Not saying that was your case, but it happens. Or maybe you caught her selling a fake, so she quickly ended the transaction. The good news is that you don't have to worry about it anymore.