Just started looking...need engagement ring advice!

jesscat

SF-HK-NYC-LA-SEA
O.G.
Jul 6, 2008
So I'm just starting to look into engagement rings, and I don't even know where to start! I've never tried any on and don't know what the process is like...how did you figure out what you liked? Did you try stuff on to get an idea, or was your ring a complete surprise? Is it weird to just walk into, say, Tiffany's and say "hey I'd like to try on some engagement rings"? LoL (Not that I'd say it like that...but you know what I mean!) I just get intimidated but I really need to figure out what I like and what I don't like...and the only way to do that is to try stuff on!

What was your process like? Please share! Any advice is appreciated :smile:

You can walk into Tiffany, but have an idea of what you like. Look at their website. THey have all their styles on their. What's important to you? Size or quality of stone? Does color of the stone matter or as long as it is near colorless(G H I). People vary with the color.

I would go to just about any jeweler, say you and your fiance were discussing rings and what you wanted, you had never even thought about it, and can you get some help trying stuff on to see what you might like on your hand. Don't discuss budget at all, just say you're just starting to look. And if they're not hard sell and obnoxious, get their card.

I found 4 rings I like for engagement rings n the tiffany website. didnt really find many I would like outside of there. At the moment my fiancee is tight on money so he gave me a placeholder ring, and will give me one of the tiffany rings I liked around our 1 year anniversary.

And another of the rings I like will be given to me by my mother, because someone broke into her house a while ago and stole many jewelry, including 2 heirloon pieces that were really valuable and were going to be mine as soon as I got married, wich will be in 2 months from now.

So, she said I can choose one piece of hewelry I really like, and as soon as she sells one of her houses (she has some, but one is on the market), she will give me the piece I choose, plus give me some money for a down payment for my own house. Meanwhile, I can look at the picture of the ring everyday, to make really sure it is the one I want. haha

I guess ring style tell a lot about you. do you like big and flashy? small and more delicate but with a better quality stone? intricate details, or plain band? see what catches your eye the most when looking at the engagement ring thread and makes you ohhhhhh and ahhhhhhh and drool all over. it will give you a hint. :biggrin:

Yes to the looking through the engagement ring thread here, and also on other websites that focus more on the ring rather than general wedding boards.

I have to admit, I walked into Tiffany a couple months back (by myself) just to get an actual idea of how different sizes and styles looked on me even though I had looked online. And I am nowhere near getting engaged, haha...did it just for fun! So yeah, as long as you walk in like you have a little bit of an idea what you are doing it won't be a problem.

I think trying on is very important. There are a lot of styles I love in pictures but not on my hand. Proportion is very important. Don't let it intimidate you -it's going to be your rung and you need to love it!

I would look at a local jewelry store rather than Tiffany. Some of the rings at Tiffany will be so much higher than a regular jewelry store and it might throw you off.

My (first) ring was a surprise by DH. It was NOT me, but I was young & in love & I wore it proudly for almost 10 years.
Now - 10 years later - I've been trying on rings for over a year now. Now I really know what I want - & when I tried them on it was not what I had originally thought. I looked everywhere & all jewelers till I deceided. No real research - I just walked in & asked to try on. If they give you trouble - than you know right away this is not the jeweler for you, right?
Have fun browsing!!!

Thanks for all the advice!! Gonna go look today...just gonna start w/Tiffany's just to get an idea - as far as pricing goes I'm pretty sure the BF is gonna get a diamond and then get it set separately anyway, but I need to figure out what kind of shape/size/etc I want! So excited!

Ok so I ended up going to the Wall St Tiffany tonight, (Margo helped me - she's super nice!), and I absolutely fell in LOVE with the last ring I tried on, the round brilliant with pear-shaped side stones. Oh, my God! My heart literally stopped and a feeling came over me like, THIS IS IT! haha

I also tried on the classic round brilliant in the tiffany setting, the Lucida, the Novo, Soleste, and something else I can't really remember.

Ah, it was gorgeous!! The only thing is I'd want it a little bigger than the one I tried - the center stone was 1.67 carats, and I want something much closer to 2!

What can I say...it was love! haha Thanks for your advice ladies!!

Oh EXCELLENT choice, that's so classic that just about anyone can make it! Check out Good Old Gold if you're willing to head out to massapequa park in LI. :smile:

Hubby surprised me with a ring he bought in an antique store in London. He said Nat King Coles "The Christmas Song" was playing in the store (his fave Christmas song) so he knew it was the right ring! I'm not a big jewelry person so I'm glad I didn't have to pick my own! :lol:

Oh EXCELLENT choice, that's so classic that just about anyone can make it! Check out Good Old Gold if you're willing to head out to massapequa park in LI. :smile:

Haha thanks! I figured that setting is easy enough to find a better-priced version, and I'm lucky that he's a Virgo so he pays attention to detail and is very visual! haha (So whenever he goes to check out the ring I want at Tiffany's, he'll know exactly what I want and be able to pull it off!)

I'm SO excited...can't wait till I actually get it...haha