just one great bag

No Cute

cupcake butt
Aug 17, 2008
I know this whole purse passion is an evolution, and when I was looking for my first designer bag and found TPF, I was in a different place than I am now. When I got here, I saw all the lovelies and wanted more. I sought a beautiful bag in each color of the rainbow (I love color).

Now I'm in the position of selling off everything I can to clear the decks and make a little cash. (I sold a lot three years ago when I got divorced and saw my bags as a source of groceries...yay for the bags. ;) ) Now I'm tired of the volume of bags I still have, and it is half of what it was. I am taking as many as I can to consignment.

I've learned what I love and what I want to carry, and while I still love all the bags, I have decided that I am going to (when finances allow for me to pay cash) buy a beautiful, purple satchel to carry every day. So far, Ferragamo's Briana in Fall 2012's purple is the bag I will seek. But there will always be more bags.

Has anyone else moved to a single, excellent bag?

Hi, your post reminded me of this thread: http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/ever-purged-your-collection-pursuit-one-bag-how-540419.html

I think it's great to find a bag that can be carried for a longer time..

you beat me to it :smile: that's one of my favorite threads.

nocute - i think finding one perfect bag is a great idea. i love seeing well edited collections of 1-4 bags or so; it's like the person has carefully and specially selected one or a few bags that they love and that are functional for them.

I had one bag I carried every day for about two years (black LV Epi Speedy), it worked because it was unaffected of rain and snow etc. It wasn't the best with a black bag in the summer though.

I think my goal now is for a new bag to be carried for a least six months, to get the value from it..

I know this whole purse passion is an evolution, and when I was looking for my first designer bag and found TPF, I was in a different place than I am now. When I got here, I saw all the lovelies and wanted more. I sought a beautiful bag in each color of the rainbow (I love color).

Now I'm in the position of selling off everything I can to clear the decks and make a little cash. (I sold a lot three years ago when I got divorced and saw my bags as a source of groceries...yay for the bags. ;) ) Now I'm tired of the volume of bags I still have, and it is half of what it was. I am taking as many as I can to consignment.

I've learned what I love and what I want to carry, and while I still love all the bags, I have decided that I am going to (when finances allow for me to pay cash) buy a beautiful, purple satchel to carry every day. So far, Ferragamo's Briana in Fall 2012's purple is the bag I will seek. But there will always be more bags.

Has anyone else moved to a single, excellent bag?

I have to admit, I was curious to open your thread. TBH, I haven't read any of it. I can't get past your avatar pic.....is that a rabbit....the size of a pony???!?!?!?!?

I haven't really found just one yet, but I think I could do it with two: my Tods 24hrs sacca grande and a smaller satchel or hobo for days I don't need to carry paperwork. I love your attitude, though. I, too am trying to downsize and to put the need before the want. I feel overwhelmed and disgusted with myself at times for the sheer consumerism I'm displaying. Staying off the various forums helps, though. Good luck on your quest and I would love to see the reveal of your "true one" some day!

When I started my bag journey a little over a year ago I was very impulsive and like you I wanted a bag for every color under the sun. It took me some time (and some selling on ebay) to narrow my bags down. I also had to be honest with myself in that I am now and forever a black bag girl. Neutrals are okay as well, but really, I cannot continue to invest in colorful bags that get no use from me. A raspberry Marc Jacobs quilted flap is sitting in my room as I type this and I believe it's only a matter of time before I sell that off as well as it's been used probably twice in over a year.

For a long time I've been using my PS1 Keep All (black leather/black hardware) everyday and I have no complaints. I prefer 3 or 4 quality bags that can be rotated every couple of weeks but I think I could get by with one bag just fine.

I have to admit, I was curious to open your thread. TBH, I haven't read any of it. I can't get past your avatar pic.....is that a rabbit....the size of a pony???!?!?!?!?

That is Herman, a Flemish Giant. I found his picture online when reading the news not too long ago. I fell in love, and here he is. :lolots:

When I started my bag journey a little over a year ago I was very impulsive and like you I wanted a bag for every color under the sun. It took me some time (and some selling on ebay) to narrow my bags down. I also had to be honest with myself in that I am now and forever a black bag girl. Neutrals are okay as well, but really, I cannot continue to invest in colorful bags that get no use from me. A raspberry Marc Jacobs quilted flap is sitting in my room as I type this and I believe it's only a matter of time before I sell that off as well as it's been used probably twice in over a year.

For a long time I've been using my PS1 Keep All (black leather/black hardware) everyday and I have no complaints. I prefer 3 or 4 quality bags that can be rotated every couple of weeks but I think I could get by with one bag just fine.

My work totes and remaining clutches would offer me some rotation. Also, I'm keeping two handheld bags that are gifts/won't get enough cash to give them up...they are more clutches as far as how I use them. I guess the title of the thread isn't quite accurate: one great every day bag. I will still keep some occasion bags.

A bunch of bags are ready to go to consignment.

I think I might have posted in the other thread, but probably not, as I wasn't 'pursuing', really - but I can assuredly answer in this thread - because I have found my 'one bag', and it is the Bottega Veneta Cervo Hobo. Because I am not a rich person, I have to keep this collection small, and I've managed to stay at four bags (well, three, I'm working on getting the fourth, and that will be it until I win a lottery or something.)

I did the same thing you did, No Cute - I came here because of Hayden-Harnett and I bought one of the Inka in every color - and fell out of love. Then I found RM and the Beloved Mini and bought one in every color - and fell out of love. A few short visits to some other brands, and then WHAM - somehow I landed on the Cervo Hobo and for over a year now it's been a solid love. The One who called my name and beckoned with a graceful wink and it's a lifetime thing, now. Me and BV, and it keeps me in check, because, like I said, I'm not rich. Not that kind of rich, IYKWIM... :biggrin:

I think I might have posted in the other thread, but probably not, as I wasn't 'pursuing', really - but I can assuredly answer in this thread - because I have found my 'one bag', and it is the Bottega Veneta Cervo Hobo. Because I am not a rich person, I have to keep this collection small, and I've managed to stay at four bags (well, three, I'm working on getting the fourth, and that will be it until I win a lottery or something.)

I did the same thing you did, No Cute - I came here because of Hayden-Harnett and I bought one of the Inka in every color - and fell out of love. Then I found RM and the Beloved Mini and bought one in every color - and fell out of love. A few short visits to some other brands, and then WHAM - somehow I landed on the Cervo Hobo and for over a year now it's been a solid love. The One who called my name and beckoned with a graceful wink and it's a lifetime thing, now. Me and BV, and it keeps me in check, because, like I said, I'm not rich. Not that kind of rich, IYKWIM... :biggrin:

Word.

I wanna be the single, soccer mom working two jobs and lugging a Ferragamo. :lolots:

I think I could do one everyday bag. I do like variety but my first love is black bags.

I was thinking recently, if I had to start all over, or purge my collection, what's the lowest comfortable number I could do. Really, I *could* do one versatile bag, but ideally, I would like three-four: an everyday bag, a crossbody, a tote, and an evening bag (some bags I have can do double duty with styles). I'm not totally sure which bags I would choose though. Maybe a Bal city or RM MAM, an RM MAC, a vintage Chanel flap or BV knot, and a Bal Weekender.

Like you said, there will always be another bag, but the buying/selling cycle gets tiring. I have a better idea of what works for me since posting in that other thread, but I still have more bags than I really need.