Just need to vent!

crazycatgirl

Aug 11, 2010
I've been buying and selling on the 'bay for about 10 years now. Only had a handful of obnoxious/bad buyers. So I list a pair of boots that were purchased by me, worn by me, you get the idea. I never wore them anymore so I decided to list them. I gave plenty of good clear pics so there was no question about the condition.

Here comes the issue. These boots were leather, pull on only, meaning no side entry zipper, noted clearly in auction. They were 5" heels. I had no issues with them, however I thought they fit a bit narrow, so I noted that in my auction because they were marked medium width. I also have a no return policy. (If it was something misrepresented or something I may have missed, then I would definitely work it out).

So the buyer gets them. She sends me a message that she LOVES the boots, they are gorgeous, but can't get them on and will be returning them. Doesn't ask, just says she is sending them back. I politely reply stating I have a no return policy regarding fit issues and that was clearly stated in the auction. She gets mad and says there is no way anyone but an anorexic person could get them on, rants about how she disagrees with the description, ect and I neglected to mention they were impossible to get on in the auction.

Ok, first of all, I had zero issues getting them on my feet. I wore them for crying out loud! When I decided to sell them, several people at work tried them on with no issues getting them on, they just didn't want to pay my asking price.. I have athletic legs/calves so that wasn't an issue either getting them on. I noted they were pull on only with no side zipper and that they fit narrow. I also noted they fit between a 7 - 7.5. I tried to make sure I noted every issue from sizing to wear that I thought of and getting them on to wear was not one of them I had encountered and neither had anyone else that tried them on.

I called eBay and they said my auction was clear so I should have zero issue with her trying to open a case against me. But can she circumvent eBay and go thru PayPal to open a case?

Anyone else with similar issues? This is why I try to avoid selling shoes/boots online. Sorry for the long rant!

Thanks guys!

I agree that you have every right to stand by your 'no return' policy, and that you did everything to describe them as clearly as possible. And you can and should stand your ground if you feel that is right.
That said, I make an exception to my no returns policy when it comes to footwear. Especially used. I don't worry so much about shenanigans iykwim.
I will absolutely not buy boots from a seller that doesn't take returns. There are so many discount websites out there with free to and from shipping that I only go to Ebay as a last resort.
I am in the process of ridding myself of all my old pull on boots. They are just such a struggle for me now days. I used to hate those side zippers, but I have had to surrender if I want to wear boots other than those Ugg styles.
If she paid with a credit card she probably could do a charge back.

well, you have every right to stand your ground but how would you feel if you were in her plight? buy a pair of boots that don't fit, naturally she would want to return it.

and yes, she would probably open a paypal case, chargeback...

I would have given exact measurements (length on shaft, width, cicumference etc). instead of descriptions such as "marked medium but fits narrow". One person's medium is another buyer's wide and vice versa. You can stand your ground all you want but if she files a claim and either Paypal or ebay sides with her there's nothing you can do. And you may end up with not only a negative feedback but without your ebay fees if buyer denies your request to cancel transaction. It may just be easier to allow the return at her expense and either relist the boots or sell them to one of your coworkers at a reduced price. Their best offer may be what ou will be netting after eBay and PayPal take their fees.

Last edited:
The statement that they would be returning the boots without politely asking first would have pizzed me off too.
I agree with twin-fun.
Do you have a Craig's List? I have sold footwear there that was a hassle on Ebay

Thanks everyone. I am with poopsie in that I typically don't buy boots from eBay. But if I do and the seller has a no return policy, then I know I am taking a risk of them not fitting and being stuck with them. I won't harass the seller on fit issues. I understand her position, but I clearly stated no returns due to fit. In my opinion, she took a risk when purchasing. She did not ask any questions prior to bidding or purchase. I don't want to seem mean or unfair. I've bought things before that I didn't like after I got them or bags that didn't fit my shoulder as well as I thought it would from sellers with no returns. So I've been in her position. I just took an assumed risk.

Well, if she returns them without your permission she will have voided her buyer protection.
Now, if she files and wins she will be reimbursed the original shipping. Return shipping would be on her. Since a seller isn't automatically off the hook for FVF when they issue a refund, she would have to agree to a cancellation.
Just a few more things to think about. :P

How interesting. I don't think this is the same pair of boots but there was a post made by the buyer of a pair of boots last night on ebay's CAB board.

The scenario was eerily similar. In that case, they were Frye boots, size 9 and the buyer claimed that her daughter couldn't get her foot into them even though the daughter wears 8.5-9 in other Frye boots.

In that case, though, the buyer waited too long to file a dispute and instead, she negged the seller for not taking the return.

If this were my sale, I'd take the boots back (as long as they're in the same condition) and issue a refund for the purchase price only. Shipping in both directions would be on the buyer.

And if you relist, be more specific about measurements.

Wow, no it's not the same case but that is crazy that someone else was complaining of the same thing.

Her initial email complaint was that her foot wouldnt fit, then she filed a not as described case with ebay, stating it was too tight on the calf but her foot fit perfectly. She said she could not even get her arm into the boot, that they were that narrow in the calf area. Well, if she couldnt fit her arm in, then how did she get her foot in? I wore these boots when I was in my heavier days (about a size 12 with pretty thick calves) with no problems.

Anyway, ebay sided with me and denied her claim. I was pretty shocked. Usually they side with the buyer. I escalated it to a claim about 7am this morning and had a decision from them in 3 hours.

I checked her feedback that she's left for others and it seems like she gives lots of negatives for things that probably shouldnt have been a negative. I also noticed she had bought several other pairs of boots of the same brand in a size 8. So I am wondering if she bought them thinking they'd fit and when they didnt she wanted to send them back.

Selling isnt a perfect science and hindsight is always 20/20. Of course after something is over you always see the things you could've done better or differently and make improvements from there. We are all human and certainly not perfect. I really dont think giving specific measurements would have helped in her case though. She admitted to ebay that she didnt read the description til after she got the boots and "then she noticed that "they fit narrow and would fit a 7-7.5 definitely not an 8".

Wow, no it's not the same case but that is crazy that someone else was complaining of the same thing.

Her initial email complaint was that her foot wouldnt fit, then she filed a not as described case with ebay, stating it was too tight on the calf but her foot fit perfectly. She said she could not even get her arm into the boot, that they were that narrow in the calf area. Well, if she couldnt fit her arm in, then how did she get her foot in? I wore these boots when I was in my heavier days (about a size 12 with pretty thick calves) with no problems.

Anyway, ebay sided with me and denied her claim. I was pretty shocked. Usually they side with the buyer. I escalated it to a claim about 7am this morning and had a decision from them in 3 hours.

I checked her feedback that she's left for others and it seems like she gives lots of negatives for things that probably shouldnt have been a negative. I also noticed she had bought several other pairs of boots of the same brand in a size 8. So I am wondering if she bought them thinking they'd fit and when they didnt she wanted to send them back.

Selling isnt a perfect science and hindsight is always 20/20. Of course after something is over you always see the things you could've done better or differently and make improvements from there. We are all human and certainly not perfect. I really dont think giving specific measurements would have helped in her case though. She admitted to ebay that she didnt read the description til after she got the boots and "then she noticed that "they fit narrow and would fit a 7-7.5 definitely not an 8".

Even more interesting is that the responses to the Frye boots buyer on the CAB were more in favor of the seller and the listing. After the buyer/OP wasn't getting the responses she was hoping for, she self-reported her thread and it's no longer there.