Just Need to Vent - Handbag Care

LarissaB

O.G.
Sep 3, 2008
I hired someone to come and professionally organize my master br. Can you believe that during the organizing process (I was not present) that they opened up my dustbags and removed the tissue paper from my handbags? They then flattened them out and laid them in a plastic box. Am I crazy about keeping my bags stuffed with tissue paper and in their dustbags? I thought this was normal care. I wouldn't think that a professional organizer would think this was OK. Then they took two of my large patent hobos and stuffed them in a plastic box and shoved the handles down so that they could fit in the box with the top on!!!! WTH Last but not least, I saved the gift boxes from Parker Hipee and Sabrina. I had the handbags living in their gift boxes in their dustbags stuffed with tissue. They used those boxes to store my toiletries????? I just dont get it. Since I was using Parker Hippie yesterday, they totally disgarded the tissue paper from that bag. I also have an older siggie bag this is missing the dust bag altogether. I am so upset. I think this is my fault because I hired this company, but who treats leather handbags in this manner?

:shocked::shocked::faint::faint::faint: OMG, I'm so sorry!!!! I would literally die, and heads would roll!!! There is NO WAY I let anyone touch my bags anyway, but this reminds me of an episode of what's that show...the one where a family member has someone's room redone on the sly?? Not Trading Spaces, but there's another one. Anyway, there was one episode where the wife had her husband's room redone, and the people on the show were PLAYING WITH his diecast collection. I was personally freaking out during the show at the lack of respect for his collectibles, and the guy was actually very pissed when he found out. I know that in most cases people just don't think about what a collection means to someone else, but if I were you I would complain heavily. Removing the packing saves space, but it also damages your bags!! You should always keep them fully stuffed and in dust bags out of light and a neutral environment (not too dry or humid) to preserve them. I would not even display my bags because of light fading and dust.

That's just incredible! I'm sure they probably didn't think, but WOW, I can't believe that and know you must have been shocked and devastated!!

Wow, that's insane. I guess when we pay for a company to organize our stuff, we hope they have some basic common sense and consideration for valuable items. It's rude the way they treated your Coach beauties. I'm speechless. :shocked:

Last edited:
Oh and yeah, NEVER store leather in a plasic box!! It has to breathe. I know someone who did this for 6 months, and her bags cracked, especially around the piping and sealant. NOT a good idea!!!

If I were in your position, I would call and demand a partial refund and explain just how out of line they were--clearly they need to read up on handbag storage. I would also use word-of-mouth to tell friends and family how unacceptable your experience with that company was. I definitely don't think you should let this slide, though.

Really what this shows is not so much how little the reorg experts were but actually how knowledgeable you ladies (and gents) here have become! You can educate them on proper storage of fine leather items.... and get back some of your money for your troubles!

If I were in your position, I would call and demand a partial refund and explain just how out of line they were--clearly they need to read up on handbag storage. I would also use word-of-mouth to tell friends and family how unacceptable your experience with that company was. I definitely don't think you should let this slide, though.

ITA! Eeek I was cringing reading your story!

I would not be pleased with that at all. I keep tissue and or the little packing bags of air or bubble wrap in mine and store them in their dustbags. I think it would ruin them to keep them stored all mashed down. And like others said definitely do not store them in plastic.

Wow. To think that people who make a living reorganizing people's closets would have a general idea on how to store things properly. Of course women have handbags, they should know how to properly store them. Of course people keep expensive/important things in the closet, there should be a respect towards those items too.

I don't like those shows where they disrespect the persons' belongings while they're renovating. And it's horrible that people who claim they have an ability to do a job have no idea what they're doing.

:wtf: Oh, I'd tear them a new one. :cursing: That's just completely unacceptable!

bakeacookie is right, you'd think that a company that does this for a living would at least have some modicum of knowledge on how leather goods should be stored (i.e. not in plastic). They may not know how leather handbags specifically should be kept stuffed etc if their usual clientele don't own multiple leather handbags, but certainly they've had clients who own other leather apparel, e.g. jackets, shoes, boots, etc? Unless all their previous clients have been vegans who don't own anything at all in leather, I think this shows them to be pretty incompetent.

I don't think it's your fault at all. You hired a professional company and expected professional work, and they clearly didn't deliver. I would definitely call them and let them know that the job they did was unacceptable. Yeesh!