Just my one cent…

reovi

O.G.
Jul 14, 2006
Ok, so, don’t hate me, but I was walking through the Bal store in Boston, and was very underwhelmed with the bags (the SA was lovely).
I saw one city-ish bag with multiple sizes of giant hardware, like all doubled up. Not my style. And the moto stuff was also very tame. I’m sorry to say this season, and some of last, is not for me. But please, someone talk me into the beauty of it!

Reactions: IntheOcean
It won't be me, because I feel the same as you: I dislike the direction the brand has been going in for the past few years too.
The Balenciaga of 20 years ago was this easy, effortless cool. Now it's very overwrought and forced, like fast fashion without the price advantage.
Of course my tastes in general gravitate more towards the aesthetic the Moto Bal's represent; obviously there are some that prefer the Hourglass/Cagole aesthetic. But honestly, I just don't see them being sought after some day the way many here prize a flat brass First or chevre City.

It won't be me, because I feel the same as you: I dislike the direction the brand has been going in for the past few years too.
The Balenciaga of 20 years ago was this easy, effortless cool. Now it's very overwrought and forced, like fast fashion without the price advantage.
Of course my tastes in general gravitate more towards the aesthetic the Moto Bal's represent; obviously there are some that prefer the Hourglass/Cagole aesthetic. But honestly, I just don't see them being sought after some day the way many here prize a flat brass First or chevre City.
100% agree. Although I'm still a "newbie", I simply cannot imagine spending the wee hours of morning stalking pages looking for some bejeweled hourglass bag or other. No offense to anyone loving those. But like you said, the coolness of the classic moto bags is just not there anymore. I guess it's just a different clientele going for DG's stiles? Don't care about any of his stuff...it's all too much of everything for me...:shrugs:

the moto bags were/are such unique designer bags, with their simple, casual, unstructured look, and strict logo-shunning. For me it has always been about the leather and the colors. the new Balenciaga has gone to the opposite end of the logo-screaming spectrum. they slap the logo ostentatiously on everything and charge a mint for it. Not buying.

I never looked twice at the hourglass and don’t get what the big deal is. The ville and Triangle and thirty iterations of plastic shopping bags do nothing for me. I do love some of the neo classic cities, though, and would probably pick up a cagole in a color I liked if i could find a deep (and I mean deeeeeeeep) bargain. As it stands, I don’t care for them anywhere near the price they command.

and I loathe the Gucci-Balenciaga hack.

the moto bags were/are such unique designer bags, with their simple, casual, unstructured look, and strict logo-shunning. For me it has always been about the leather and the colors. the new Balenciaga has gone to the opposite end of the logo-screaming spectrum. they slap the logo ostentatiously on everything and charge a mint for it. Not buying.

I never looked twice at the hourglass and don’t get what the big deal is. The ville and Triangle and thirty iterations of plastic shopping bags do nothing for me. I do love some of the neo classic cities, though, and would probably pick up a cagole in a color I liked if i could find a deep (and I mean deeeeeeeep) bargain. As it stands, I don’t care for them anywhere near the price they command.

and I loathe the Gucci-Balenciaga hack.
It seems like so many brands are doing this logo thing—a bag with a wide fabric strap emblazoned with the brand name. It's so incredibly horrendous; where did it originate, was it Bal? Whenever I see those bags it's like the brand is spitting on their own face/image by putting out pieces like that. Like why??? (I suppose it must be profitable).

And it always reminds me of how it used to be trendy for guys to walk around with visible underwear band—just gross.

The moto bags were/are the best indeed.

Reactions: Deco
Ok, so, don’t hate me, but I was walking through the Bal store in Boston, and was very underwhelmed with the bags (the SA was lovely).
I saw one city-ish bag with multiple sizes of giant hardware, like all doubled up. Not my style. And the moto stuff was also very tame. I’m sorry to say this season, and some of last, is not for me. But please, someone talk me into the beauty of it!
Probably visited the same store. I was in Boston last week, went to Copley square on Thursday and could not believe that there was nothing I liked an even a bit in Balenciaga store. Ferraragamo the same. When I got back home, sweet “first” oldie was waiting among the mail and made me really happy

Reactions: Norm.Core and reovi
I love the new Neo City bags and I purchased a mini Neo City and I am very happy with it! I also like the Hourglass. I agree that the written on bags are a big no! I do agree that it seems that Balenciaga is moving too much of their product to shock value instead of the wearable clothing that I loved from a few years ago. I just hope Balenciaga changes it up and remembers that we want beautiful wearable products!