Just made my first Bal purchase but now I'm worried....

miss_lyn

O.G.
Apr 14, 2006
Just purchased a brand new Balenciaga City Black F/W 2009 and Im in love with it! But now after reading some of the threads in this forum there is a possibility for the black to turn green within a few months? Help! Is this true? My black isn't jet black its more of a deep coal grey? How can I tell if my purse will turn green? Also how green will it turn? Any advice is appreciated! Cuz if there is a possibility this will happen I might just have to return it =(

I have a Black F/W GGH City and the top part of the bag slightly turned green but nothing too bad. I think it was because of the frequent rubbing on the leather because I wore the handles over my shoulder. I also had a Black RH City that I returned to the store and it wasn't jet black but a soft black as well. I think 2010 Black leather is a lot better than 2009 and maybe it is better to exchange it for that.

Here is a photo of my 09 Black RH City before I returned it.

IMG_0255.jpg

Thanks for the quick response ! I actually like that it's not jet black cuz I have too many other black bags, my concern is will it have a green undertone after several uses?

I have 09 black and have been wearing it for more than 6 months as my everyday bag. There is no even slight possibility it will turn green beacause it looks grey more than black. It's very, very faded black.

Oh boy ... kind of hesitated to respond to this, but alas .. I took out my '09 Black PT the other day to use it, and was SHOCKED at what I saw. Last time I had used it, it appeared to be Jet Black and so I was extremely surprised when I opened up the dust bag to see a bag that looks like swamp water! It's not like it is because of sun exposure (they are always stored in their dust bags way outside of any sun), and it didn't really get that much wear to begin with. I tried clipping my little Black MMF to it, but I ended up taking it off because the difference was remarkable. I'm tempted to ask Balenciaga if they will re-dye it; it really looks awful!

I have two bbags left from 2009 both black. The city is very black and remains very black. The part time is a tiny bit lighter than the city. But compared to my black bags from 2005, they are not as jet-black but close. So far, no hint of turning green. I believe that they have faded very slightly though.

Oh boy ... kind of hesitated to respond to this, but alas .. I took out my '09 Black PT the other day to use it, and was SHOCKED at what I saw. Last time I had used it, it appeared to be Jet Black and so I was extremely surprised when I opened up the dust bag to see a bag that looks like swamp water! It's not like it is because of sun exposure (they are always stored in their dust bags way outside of any sun), and it didn't really get that much wear to begin with. I tried clipping my little Black MMF to it, but I ended up taking it off because the difference was remarkable. I'm tempted to ask Balenciaga if they will re-dye it; it really looks awful!
oh crikey - this is scary news! I'm contemplating a black City - preferably an older chevre but basically a black that pops up as a good deal!
I had a black 09 that I didn't have long enough to notice any change of colour....but I think the only safe option looks like an 05 or 06? Up goes their resale price then - as if they weren't high enough already!

I have 09 black and have been wearing it for more than 6 months as my everyday bag. There is no even slight possibility it will turn green beacause it looks grey more than black. It's very, very faded black.

Same - my most heavily used fw 09 black city has faded for sure but no green undertones (yet?)

However, my first fw 09 black city had a corner turn completely green after less than 2 months so I returned it.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I got my s/s 09 black City in '08 December and have been carrying it several days (more like 5 days at least) a week ever since. It is still jet black.
It sounds like you have the perfect bag for you so you shouldn't worry.

Certainly some have been unlucky with bags turning green (and apparently this can happen with every year - I'm sure some '10 black's fading to green will turn up too). Naturally the people who's bags turned green are going to start threads and post about this problem but please remember all those that didn't turn green, you know. It's just that we don't usually open a thread becasue our bags didn't turn green ;)

Enjoy your bag and enjoy using it!

Last edited:
How long after you purchase a purse that you can still return it? I bought mine at neiman Marcus, will they still accept returns after a few months if I notice leather changes? Thanks

I think Neiman's has a pretty good return policy (better than other stores), but you should check because I read an article recently (in the NY Times) that said that stores are cracking down on returns (mostly for those that return a lot). Always good to check on beforehand ...

i had a 2006 black city.. she did turn green somewhat...
i have yet sold her as i had to many black bags.. i know the 2004/ 2005 have stayed jet black so far.

2007 seems to be jet black too.
can't speak for the other years but im learning from you guys!