Alexander Wang Just got my Diego, and....need your wisdom!

foxgal

O.G.
Jul 22, 2010
Hi all AW fans - I need your wisdom! I've looked at the Diego for a LONG time, thought it looked so cool, researched and scoured blogs. So when a classic black/brass came up on a great sale I took the plunge. It just arrived, and....

Hmmm, my first thought of seeing it IRL is kinda underwhelming. Seems kinda odd. Did anyone else have this reaction? Does it "grow" on you, or should it be "love at first sight"?

The leather is pretty nicely pebbled all the way around, but is stiff. I've heard is will soften up...does this happen quite quickly? Will putting some moisturizer on it help this happen faster? I've also read about the edge problems and will get some Edge Kote if I decide to keep it.

I could sell, or exchange for a Rocco. I always thought the Diego looked "cooler" than the Rocco (imho, no offense to Rocco fans!). But maybe a Rocco would be more practical? What should I do? :shrugs: Any input is appreciated! TIA.

Hi all AW fans - I need your wisdom! I've looked at the Diego for a LONG time, thought it looked so cool, researched and scoured blogs. So when a classic black/brass came up on a great sale I took the plunge. It just arrived, and....

Hmmm, my first thought of seeing it IRL is kinda underwhelming. Seems kinda odd. Did anyone else have this reaction? Does it "grow" on you, or should it be "love at first sight"?

The leather is pretty nicely pebbled all the way around, but is stiff. I've heard is will soften up...does this happen quite quickly? Will putting some moisturizer on it help this happen faster? I've also read about the edge problems and will get some Edge Kote if I decide to keep it.

I could sell, or exchange for a Rocco. I always thought the Diego looked "cooler" than the Rocco (imho, no offense to Rocco fans!). But maybe a Rocco would be more practical? What should I do? :shrugs: Any input is appreciated! TIA.

hi foxgal! i feel your pain. it's always so hard to decide between two different styles! when i got into AW i knew i had to have a rocco and after carrying mine for 5 months now, i have to say it's my FAV bag!! it's very convenient, roomy and just the perfect everyday bag - i carry it with casual outfits to dressy outfits, day to night, etc. Then i wanted a diego to add to the collection, but i read about how hard it was to get in and out of the bag... so that was kinda a deal breaker for me. And ever since, i've looked at other AW styles that don't have the rows of studs like the Emile, Prisma Tote, Marion, and Jane. I now have a prisma tote (love it!) and currently waiting on an emile. so my advice would be to send it back or sell it if you don't LOVE the diego! it's a good chunk of change so you should be 100% happy with your purchase!!

bottom line.... return it and get a rocco! or check out the other awesome AW styles!!! :graucho::graucho:

While I find the Diego to be the (almost) most user unfriendly bag I have ever owned I still like the edgy look to it. I have so many other satchel style bags that I thought I would try a different style. Of course I will also pick up a Rocco down the line when the right one at the right price comes along :graucho:

I have the drawstring (flat back) style, and I found that doubling the strap was more comfortable than carrying it long or crossbody.

Could it be the brass/black combo that you find underwhelming? I was looking at that combo in a Rocco from Aloha Rag since it was on sale. I didn't take the plunge because I wasn't sure that combo would *pop* enough for my taste and they are return for store credit only on sale merch. I have the black/silver Diego and I really like how it *pops*

But I agree, for that $$$$ you should be completely happy. What is the return/exchange policy where you purchased? If possible keep the bag for a bit and see if it 'grows' on you. I can't even begin to tell you how many bags I had an extreme adverse reaction to upon receipt turn into my favorite after the initial shock wore off iykwim

Foxgal,

I own a tangerine Diego and I really love it. I would *love* a black w/brass Diego.
The Diego is definitely different and maybe even a bit 'edgier' than the Rocco.
It does soften up over use.
I did not use moisturizer, but from personal experience with dozens of bags that I've treated... I prefer for the leather to age and break-in naturally, without "helping it" along.
You will have some problems with the edges in the back of the bag from rubbing up against jeans. My edges haven't worn off or anything but there is a tiny bit of denim transfer from my jeans there, that's it.

But as everyone says, if you don't love it, don't force yourself to just because it was a good deal.
Get something that will truly make you happy and will fill your purse need. :smile:

Thanks all for your input :hugs: I agree, poopsie, that it's partly that the black/brass doesn't really *POP* especially like the rose gold versions I've seen. But then again, not sure I could really carry off that much POP!

I could return for store credit, but really there is not much else at Aloha Rag that really grabs my attention other than a Rocco, and I still prefer the look of the Diego over the Rocco, so why would I do that?!

I do think it is partly also that the leather seems kinda stiff and dull. Think if I put a bit of moisture on it so the leather got a bit shinier and softer, I could really grow to love it. It's just taking a chance because once I take the tags off, I can't return it, right?!?

Adding to it all is that I also just found a Givenchy Pandora on wicked sale and ordered that too, and they are both kinda edgy bags whereas my style (for work) needs to be more polished. Do I really need two edgy bags...probably not! ARGH!?!? :confused1: So confused!

Thanks all for your input :hugs: I agree, poopsie, that it's partly that the black/brass doesn't really *POP* especially like the rose gold versions I've seen. But then again, not sure I could really carry off that much POP!

I could return for store credit, but really there is not much else at Aloha Rag that really grabs my attention other than a Rocco, and I still prefer the look of the Diego over the Rocco, so why would I do that?!

I do think it is partly also that the leather seems kinda stiff and dull. Think if I put a bit of moisture on it so the leather got a bit shinier and softer, I could really grow to love it. It's just taking a chance because once I take the tags off, I can't return it, right?!?

Adding to it all is that I also just found a Givenchy Pandora on wicked sale and ordered that too, and they are both kinda edgy bags whereas my style (for work) needs to be more polished. Do I really need two edgy bags...probably not! ARGH!?!? :confused1: So confused!

I think the only Rocco left on AR is the black/brass combo, but I could be wrong..................the gray showed as sold out last I checked.

Does your Diego have a flat back (drawstring) or cinch into a complete circle (bucket)? The bucket might not rub as much as the drawstring.

The one I have has kind of matte black leather, but I don't mind as it is super thick and pebbly

I think the only Rocco left on AR is the black/brass combo, but I could be wrong..................the gray showed as sold out last I checked.

Does your Diego have a flat back (drawstring) or cinch into a complete circle (bucket)? The bucket might not rub as much as the drawstring.

The one I have has kind of matte black leather, but I don't mind as it is super thick and pebbly

Mine is the flat back. I'd get some edge kote if I decide to keep it to help prevent the edge rubbing issue.

The leather is pretty thick and pebbly - very nice - I'm just surprised how matte it seems. Guess that's the way it's supposed to be, almost looks like suede from a distance - ? I put a little Blackrocks Leather n Rich on a spot on the inside leather and it brought out a little shine...think I would actually like it better like that. But I just don't want to remove tags and do that until I'm sure I'll keep it.

The option I'm leaning towards is...keep it and use for a while and see if it grows on me. When my Pandora arrives, I can compare and see if I want to keep both, or sell one to fund a Chloe Paraty (the other bag I'm lusting over right now and would actually suit my lifestyle a bit better :P)

Well, was never really into the Rocco..

So took the plunge and cut off the tags, and treated with some moisture, and getting excited...check out how the pebbles are coming through...

ForumRunner_20120724_213332.png

It's almost like it was coated with chalk when I first got it. Beginning to love it. Will take on first outing and report back.

Felt like I need to chime in...I have both Rocco and Diego. I loved Rocco first. Howver, the more pics I saw of Diego the more I felt it suited my style. Since I have the Rocco in mustard I bought the Diego in black/brass as I wanted that combo in the Rocco. I bought Diego off eBay from a seller that said it was almost new. Being so excited, I went to Barney's to check out Diego while it was being shipped to me. At the store, like you, I was underwhelmed. Even my sister commented on how odd it looked. It didn't look like the pics of celebs carrying it. That's for sure. However, when I received the bag from the seller, the bag was way different than the one in the store, in a gd way. Mine was slouchy and the leather was soft and I loved carrying it a la satchel style with the short handles on the crook of my arm!!! I found myself reaching for Diego than I did Rocco. Granted, it does get heavy during a long shopping day but I'm willing to sacrifice for fashion. I figured that as long as I loved it, I'll be willing to use it. Enjoy your diego and I hope u love him as much as I do!!!

Felt like I need to chime in...I have both Rocco and Diego. I loved Rocco first. Howver, the more pics I saw of Diego the more I felt it suited my style. Since I have the Rocco in mustard I bought the Diego in black/brass as I wanted that combo in the Rocco. I bought Diego off eBay from a seller that said it was almost new. Being so excited, I went to Barney's to check out Diego while it was being shipped to me. At the store, like you, I was underwhelmed. Even my sister commented on how odd it looked. It didn't look like the pics of celebs carrying it. That's for sure. However, when I received the bag from the seller, the bag was way different than the one in the store, in a gd way. Mine was slouchy and the leather was soft and I loved carrying it a la satchel style with the short handles on the crook of my arm!!! I found myself reaching for Diego than I did Rocco. Granted, it does get heavy during a long shopping day but I'm willing to sacrifice for fashion. I figured that as long as I loved it, I'll be willing to use it. Enjoy your diego and I hope u love him as much as I do!!!

Thank you mizfoxy! I think this is just what I needed to be re-assured of - that the Diego might seem odd at first, even for those of us that have researched the design, but that it just takes a bit of getting used to.

Took her out tonight and was very happy!