Just got invited to a fine jewelry event but not sure I’ll fit in

JJbear

O.G.
Nov 24, 2012
I’m not sure how I was even chosen since I’ve never been a big shopper and haven’t bought anything in over a year but I just received a text with my first ever invite to an “exclusive premium fine jewelry and watches event.”

It sounds like it would be a super fun experience but I’m a bit intimidated because for one, this kind of thing is waaay out of my tax bracket, I feel like I might be a little young as I’m still a student, and I don’t think I will be buying anything so I don’t want to waste anyone’s time. It sounds like the event is hosted throughout one week, you make an appointment and are shown items? So it’s not like the free walk around browsing situation that I imagined.

I’ve only ever spoken to this SA once when picking up a repair and have never had a designated SA at a store before because I rarely shop, so I guess I just got lucky. When I met her quite a while ago, the manager was chitchatting with us and did mention some events they thought I might be interested in, to which I made a joke about how I “know exactly what you’re talking about and I can assure you I can’t afford any of it” which we all had a laugh over.

The SA was so kind in remembering me to invite me but I don’t want to take up her time and space when she could be having clients who are sure to spend big $$$ instead.

I should decide soon whether I want to attend. Could any of you ladies who have been kind of describe what to expect or what these things are like, how to blend in with the people attending.

B9E4B870-ACF7-4915-869C-BD6F7C1D8516.jpeg

Yes, that just sounds like an appointment for you to be shown items from their fine jewelry line. If you aren't interested, I wouldn't go. This honestly sounds like they are contacting everyone.

That makes sense. I thought it was interesting how it is framed as an exclusive event with limited seating despite being over a week long. Still nice of her to offer though!

It sounds like there is some expectation to buy, but it also seems like a mass invitation. The SA invited you because your financial situation might change in the future (you never know). The invitation is enough, if you are interested, go check them out without worrying about buying, $$$, fitting in ... We are all awkward, most people don't feel that they fit in at these events. The trick is not to compare yourself with others. It's also unnecessary to be self-deprecating about your finances, I pointed this out because you are worried about fitting in.

When I was a student (and even younger), SAs always invited me to boutique events even though I wasn't buying that often, and it never was an issue if I just wanted to admire. If you buy, say, once a year, it's still more than many people who will feel perfectly justified attending the same event.

I had received an invitation to a Mother’s Day event, which I thought the customers could look around freely. Instead, it was one-on-one with an assigned SA who followed the customers around like a hawk. I definitely felt a strong unspoken pressure to buy something. However, be confident and go enjoy yourself if you are interested.

Yes, that just sounds like an appointment for you to be shown items from their fine jewelry line. If you aren't interested, I wouldn't go. This honestly sounds like they are contacting everyone.

Definitely sounds different from their usual events but I’m not so sure they’re contacting just everyone. OP might not buy very often but when they do they seem to be purchasing things that CAs would find very attractive when scouting clientele.

Don’t go if you feel like you’ll succumb easily to pressure to buy OP, but I wouldn’t feel so insecure if I were you. You’ve definitely got some purchases under your belt that would outprice the average customer and even a lot of ladies in this forum. Chin up and have fun!

Since it sounds like 1:1 time with an SA, I'd probably avoid it if I know I'm not going to purchase anything (I usually have a few small pieces I'm eyeing and pick up what's available if I go), but if you want to attend, know that plenty of people go and don't buy anything. While they appreciate a sale, most SAs also like building a rapport with their clients and use this opportunity to see how you get along with the SA. Are they pushing you to buy a piece of jewelry despite your objections or are you just chatting about life and style preferences while you look at nice jewelry? If the former, run, but if the latter, it sounds like you've found a great SA I'd consider working with in the future.

Honestly, I wouldn’t go if it’s going to be an SA showing me items that I know I won’t be buying. Not to say that you couldn’t or shouldn’t go if you have an interest in these items, even if you don’t intend to buy them there and then. Of course they want everyone to make a purchase, but people go “window shopping” all the time, they have to expect that not everyone’s going to buy. I wouldn’t worry at all about not “fitting in”.