just got a really rude message from buyer

livii

Mar 5, 2011
so i'm a new seller on ebay and i haven't had any problems so far. There was an international bidder and since i was new, i decided how hard could it be and decided to ship to their country. what i didn't count on was that the customs would be more than the shipping charge and so i emailed the buyer after shipping the item. now they're blaming me and saying that i shouldn't fool them and that there's no seller like me. i replied back that they should have expected custom charges and stuff but that means i paid for all the shipping and customs because they refuse to pay me back. what should i do?

Wait...so you gave the buyer money to cover the customs charges? Or she hadn't paid you before you shipped out the item, so now she's withholding the amount that customs charged her?

Everyone knows that the BUYER is the one responsible for customs charges, and if you ship internationally, you might want to note that prominently on all your listings. Meanwhile, please let us know her username so we can block her a**!

Wait...so you gave the buyer money to cover the customs charges? Or she hadn't paid you before you shipped out the item, so now she's withholding the amount that customs charged her?

Everyone knows that the BUYER is the one responsible for customs charges, and if you ship internationally, you might want to note that prominently on all your listings. Meanwhile, please let us know her username so we can block her a**!
she had already paid kind of late so i knew she was a bit of trouble. but after she paid, i quickly shipped out the item but i hadn't known that the custom charge was going to be 30 bucks and i shipped it because i was going on holiday, i explained it to her and she ignored my first email then after i emailed her a second time, she told me really rudely that i was fooling her and stuff. her username is
wltjs7177

so i'm a new seller on ebay and i haven't had any problems so far. There was an international bidder and since i was new, i decided how hard could it be and decided to ship to their country. what i didn't count on was that the customs would be more than the shipping charge and so i emailed the buyer after shipping the item. now they're blaming me and saying that i shouldn't fool them and that there's no seller like me. i replied back that they should have expected custom charges and stuff but that means i paid for all the shipping and customs because they refuse to pay me back. what should i do?

I'm not sure I understand this either.

I'm not sure I understand this either.
the shipping charge was 40+ and since it was finals week, i decided to just ship the item all at one go because of the schedule, i thought that the buyer would understand that there are custom charges but now she's mad at me because i should have done a quotation but i have never shipped internationally before and she refuses to pay because "its unfair and nonsense"

In the future put a line in your ad that says "buyer is responsible for all customs charges and fees". How people who buy internationally don't know there are customs charges is beyond me.

Sorry I am still a bit confused...buyer was late but still paid (full amount including shipping) before you shipped out the item, which means there's no way she can refuse to pay now, right? Or did you mean she refuses to pay for custom charge and is now wanting to return the goods?

the shipping charge was 40+ and since it was finals week, i decided to just ship the item all at one go because of the schedule, i thought that the buyer would understand that there are custom charges but now she's mad at me because i should have done a quotation but i have never shipped internationally before and she refuses to pay because "its unfair and nonsense"

But what do you mean 'pay you back'? Did the buyer pay you for the item and shipping, before you shipped it out?

If she's letting the bag sit there and refusing to pay customs to accept it it will come back to you eventually. If she leaves you negative feedback that mentions customs charges they will remove it.

Please clarify.

You said you paid $40 to ship but that amount doesn't include any customs fees. Customs fees are assessed when the item gets to her in her country and they collect it from her.

The $40 you paid is the shipping charge and I assume your listing stated x-amount for shipping. Plus, I assume she paid the amount of the item.

If she made her payment of the bid amount plus shipping charge before you shipped, she doesn't owe you anything, nor do you owe her anything.

ETA: Now I'm thinking you may have shipped prematurely. If you shipped the item without receiving payment, file a dispute for non-payment. She might not pay anyway, in which case, it might be an important lesson. You should never ship without receiving cleared payment.

People who live in one country and shop in another know good and well that there are customs fees. I don't believe it.
Like others I am a bit confused about the "pay back" part.

she had already paid kind of late so i knew she was a bit of trouble. but after she paid, i quickly shipped out the item but i hadn't known that the custom charge was going to be 30 bucks and i shipped it because i was going on holiday, i explained it to her and she ignored my first email then after i emailed her a second time, she told me really rudely that i was fooling her and stuff. her username is
wltjs7177

YOU paid the customs? How is that possible? Customs fees are assessed by her country when the parcel arrives there, and she is required to pay them there. Where are you shipping from?

Update: yea, it was the actual shipping that was 40 bucks and the buyer just sent me another message where it says that there is no other seller like me as i wasn't sure about the shipping charges. she then said she won't pay me the $30 that came out of my own pocket for her shipping and that the transaction is over.

^Well, if you quoted one shipping price and ended up having to pay another--indeed you're stuck eating the difference. Lesson learned--calculate the shipping costs before agreeing to ship international :s