Just got a long hair chihuahua - training tips?

He's pretty big for a chihuahua right? He's 3 pounds already!

Where can I get those housebreaking aid drops??

Hey guys,

I too have a long hair chi, I'll post photos tomorrow, glad to know we love our bags and our chis!

The housebreaking aid drops, I've never seen these r they like at petsmart and I am overlooking them? Let me know my Payton is 4months, I tried litter box, it works w/ cavs, but he isn't going for it at all.

Appreciate your help!

OMg how exciting! I love animals and puppies are the best. This might sound strange, but I heard that some small dogs can learn how to use a litter box, like cats do. Digging isn't an instinct as much as it is with cats, but it can be taught. I trained all my pets to pee outside by putting them outside about 10-15 mins after they eat or drink, so they will eventually get the idea. After they "go" they get a treat.

I have a chihuahua and i have no yard so I litterbox trained her like a cat! I started with the potty pads in her german shepherd sized wire kennel/crate then i bought the doggie litter box and put the potty pads in there. Gradually I moved up to putting dog litter in the box and it worked. She has only had a few "number 1" mishaps since i got her a year ago. Now, she can be at one end of the house and she runs to the box, does her thing and comes running back. It is great!:nuts:

I thought of 1 more thing. do u have a Petsmart or PetCo near where u live? I think one of them, or both, offer doggie training schools and have experts on staff to give you advice about how to deal with each pet's issues. Sometimes pets cannot control themselves, due to lack of wilpower or lack of incentive to follow poo poo etiqueete, or whatever else, and the vets and/or pet experts can help you find a suitable training technique. It is worth a try! I hope this helps!

He's adorable. I also have a chihuahua.. smooth coat though.. here's Pepsi..

smallpep.jpg

I know this is an old thread, but for others who will read, please don't be discouraged; it took us 10 MONTHS to fully train my toy poodle ...it would go well for 2-3 months and BAM one day he'd go back to doing Number 2 all over the house...Number 1 took a month to get straight, it was always Number 2!! I'm so glad to be over that, my baby will be turning 2 on Friday:heart: Stay positive!