Just doing the math on LV prices between Italy and France

meeh16

O.G.
Sep 8, 2011
and based on my calculation, it is cheaper to buy LV in Italy than France for people who resides outside the EU countries and planning to get VAT refund.

VAT refund in Italy is 17% while in France, it is only 12%.

I just realized it when I was looking at my VAT refund calculation. The papillon in France is 20 euro cheaper but if you factor in the vat refund, it is still cheaper to buy in Italy than France

i.e France price is 690 - 12% (82.80) = 607.20 Euro
Italy price is 710 - 17% (120.70) = 589.30 Euro
I know it is just a few euro difference but it is worth it if you are buying high price ticket item.

For those who are visiting both countries and planning on buying LV, know your prices and compare before buying.

Thanks

and based on my calculation, it is cheaper to buy LV in Italy than France for people who resides outside the EU countries and planning to get VAT refund.

VAT refund in Italy is 17% while in France, it is only 12%.

I just realized it when I was looking at my VAT refund calculation. The papillon in France is 20 euro cheaper but if you factor in the vat refund, it is still cheaper to buy in Italy than France

i.e France price is 690 - 12% (82.80) = 607.20 Euro
Italy price is 710 - 17% (120.70) = 589.30 Euro
I know it is just a few euro difference but it is worth it if you are buying high price ticket item.

For those who are visiting both countries and planning on buying LV, know your prices and compare before buying.

Thanks

I have my fingers crossed on going to Korea this summer...I'm excited and scared, there is a duty free Louis Vuitton in the airport! :nuts::happydance::shocked:

^I don't think you could get the full 17% refund in Italy. you will only get 12% because they have like service charge when you do Tax refund. Tax in France is actually 17% but the refund is just 12% because of the service charge. I made a tax a refund from Italy when I went to the outlet in Firenze, and they only gave 12%

^I don't think you could get the full 17% refund in Italy. you will only get 12% because they have like service charge when you do Tax refund. Tax in France is actually 17% but the refund is just 12% because of the service charge. I made a tax a refund from Italy when I went to the outlet in Firenze, and they only gave 12%

Italian tax is 21% since late 2011 or early 2012 so if they deduct 5% as a fee, you should have gotten back 16%.

Can someone please confirm the current vat refund for Rome? In Paris I was able to claim back 12%. Is it the same or higher than that? We're heading to Rome next month and i want to buy my next lv bag. Thanks!

Hi Guys ,

I have always wondered about VAT refunds, any advice on how they work? I am going to Italy in a few weeks time for a holiday and this may have just twisted my arm to go and buy a LV!

Thanks in advance x

Hi Guys ,

I have always wondered about VAT refunds, any advice on how they work? I am going to Italy in a few weeks time for a holiday and this may have just twisted my arm to go and buy a LV!

Thanks in advance x

From my experience in LV Paris, bring your passport when you make your purchase and they will assist with giving you the appropriate paperwork to fill out. I know the rule of thumb is not to use any of the items you've purchased, and you must bring them with you to the customs counter in case the agent asks to see/inspect the merchandise. Then upon approval they stamp your docs and you put them in an envelope and drop it in the mail slot that's located near the counter. Hope this helps! I started a new thread inquiring about one's experience with Italy in particular as I've heard the process can be more confusing at their airports and I want to be prepared. Hopefully it will go seamlessly :smile: