Just curious

Good Q

I think it is several factors, imo

Firstly the manners displayed by the staff in the store and that is really the responsibility of the managers, if they can't train or manage their staff to be polite, courteous and helpful whether you are going to buy something or not, that is poor on their part. I have seen managers fawning over customers who are buying truckloads (or the SA's hope they are) of china, rtw etc and of course the Birkins/Kellys are then always available (shaking my head)

Imo, dress, age and what you are carrying also does make a difference, but perhaps that is just the stores I have visited.

I think in retail so much of it has to do with the people who are working. I've been a SA and an Asst. Mgr. in retail and so much of the attitude of the store is determined by the manager on duty. You also have those stores that feel they will make their sales quota for the day whether they work or not, so many times they don't put forth the effort.

I do think that no matter how much people want to say that appearance doesn't matter, it will come into play on some visits. Of course, you have those wonderful SAs that are going to help you no matter what and those are truly a joy to work with.

I used to hyperventilate before walking in LV or Hermes. Hermes has been a recent hurdle I've tackled. I still don't feel that I am as comfortable in there as I am in LV, but I'm working on it. I think if you walk in a store and feel out of place, it does show. But nine times out of ten, it depends on the people working and what their mood is at the time.

There are also good points in all posts, but I think Flossy has it right about the managers..the better the manager, the better the sales staff. A good manager would not put up with a salesperson treating a customer poorly.

The SA's at the Chicago Hermes are okay. I was there today (carrying a Kelly) with my mother and there was an EXTREMELY rude and snobby male SA. My SA, Caroline, is just overall wonderful.

I actually think that Flossy hit the nail on the head...the way one dresses, your attitude walking in ("I'm here ready to spend some dough, break out the Birkins!") and also age I'm afraid. From what I've observed in San Fran, the well groomed ladies of a certain age toting their kellys or birkins always seem to be catered to. Less so the gals with their hubby's or boyfriends in shorts, jeans with flip-flops, carrying plastic sacks from H&M. Seriously, I witnessed it first hand a few Saturday's ago....And if your wearing a shirt with a hawaiian print and carrying a camera? Fuggedaboutit!

I agree with KellyBag..it' really depends on the personality of each SA, as well as their age and their own background. Sad thing is.. prejudging is almost unavoidable.. it is human nature.
I am at my 30s but I do look like a kid. (It's not cool! age discrimination is sooo out there..)..and I actually do not expect any kind of service when I walk into any higher end store. So..when I meet a plesant/ helpful SA..it's almost a treat. And of course.. most of the time the younger SAs warm up to me a lot easier than the ones that are more mature. Honestly..all I ask for is not to make a purchase and leave the store with a bitter taste in my mouth because of SA's attitude. :yucky:

i think it just really matters how you carry yourself. aside fr. one not so pleasant instance, i've always been treated w/ the upmost respect at my local boutique regardless of my state of attire or choice of accessories.

I agree with flossy on her comments on how store managers are. At my local H store, the manager is always there serving customers. He is very friendly and in turn all SAs are also friendly.

I think the atmosphere at my store is also more relaxed and it feels very comfortable to shop there.

Nine years ago when I first entered the Hermes boutique in Chicago I was with my brother and I was wearing a t-shirt, blue jean shorts and white keds. A lot of the SA were snooty and I didn't think I'd ever get helped. Well, one SA took her chances and helped me a lot. Ever since then I've bought many bags and scarves and shoes from her until she left a few months ago.

venezia said:
There are also good points in all posts, but I think Flossy has it right about the managers..the better the manager, the better the sales staff. A good manager would not put up with a salesperson treating a customer poorly.

Oh, I so agree whole-heartedly on this one! I have said this time and time again about the management. Great point Venezia.