Just a sad rant from an int'l buyer :(

hazeru

Ninja
Mar 26, 2007
www.hazeru.com
Hello. I just wanted to rant. Hehe.

I'm from the Philippines and have bought on eBay.com numerous times, and I've always had my purchases shipped to relatives or mail forwarders in the US to save on customs fees here, and because I do not trust our PO system. :P

I used to not be aware that sellers can block international buyers, but I learned my lesson and now check item descriptions to see if they accept int'l buyers.

This one bag I was eyeing said nothing at all about not catering to int'l buyers, so I decided I would bid on it at the last minute because I am cheap that way. Long story short, I won the bag at a price that was very easy on my pocket.

Minutes later I received an email from the seller, saying that she did not accept international buyers and that she has immediately canceled my bid. Needless to say, I was shell-shocked. I had not seen anything in her auction that stated she did not accept international buyers.

I immediately replied and said that I wanted it shipped within US, so would she please reconsider? Still, the answer was no and she had already offered the bag to the 2nd highest bidder.

A few more hours later, I got an email from ebay asking me to cancel the transaction. I admit I wanted to be a little snarky, so in the Additional Information field, I told her: "You know, you can block international bidders from bidding. It's on Account > Site Preferences > Buyer Requirements."

Now that I think about it, since the seller had not stated in her auction description that she did not accept international buyers, maybe I could have chosen not to cancel the transaction? I wasn't thinking too clearly at the time and hadn't thought that I might have other options.

It was a nice bag. :sad:

crazzee_shopper

Now a Mrs.
Jan 13, 2010
I might be wrong so others please correct me if the below is inaccurate:

The seller does not have to sell you the bag regardless whether or not you accept the cancellation or not. The cancellation acceptance will enable seller to get back his/her final fees. You could have filed a NPS strike again the seller (Non Performing Seller). I believe that by accepting the cancellation, you no longer can file the strike.

What you are able to do is leave feedback.

Also, most sellers will not ship to a non-paypal confirmed address.

thithi

::pretty:tough::
O.G.
I dunno.... I don't have an international buyer block on my auctions, nor do I list that I don't ship to international buyers... but out of courtesy, I think an international buyer should msg me if they are interested. I say this because I advertise the site within the USA ebay, not the global, nor do I check off that I ship to Asia or elsewhere, but only within the US. I have shipped internationally, but mostly to buyers who ask prior to bidding... there are some countries I don't ship to or are too much a hassle. I don't have a international block on my auctions for that reason(or else I'll forget to take it off if I tell a int'l buyer it's ok to bid).

If you are browsing the US ebay website, I think it's safe to say that those auctions are targeted toward US buyers only unless noted otherwise in the auction.

Last edited:

Jaime

O.G.
Jul 4, 2006
I agree, unless the shipping instructions note shipping charges to other countries you should assume they don't ship outside the country of the eBay you are looking at and if you're interested in the item and it doesn't state shipping for your country then you should email them to ask if they would ship to you and request costs. Otherwise even if they will ship to you if it's not stated or you haven checked what's to stop them charging whatever they want for shipping?

hazeru

Ninja
Mar 26, 2007
www.hazeru.com
Thanks for the responses. I had apparently been looking at it the wrong way. ^^

What I used to do was PM the seller if they specifically stated they don't ship out of US. On other auctions I would just bid straightaway. I hadn't had any problems so far so I figured I was doing it right. Well, I've learned my lesson: PM first. :smile:

ebay is so complicated :sad:

hposnm

Sep 10, 2008
W.A., Australia
I'm with OP on this one.

I understand the problems associated with international shipping. But for some reason, my US-denominated Paypal funds don't seem to be good enough for many sellers to ship within the US.

I often write to them to inform them that I'm requesting for it to be shipped to another add within the US and there's a long paper trail with me requesting for package to be redirected to another add. So if for some reason the package does go missing, the seller is protected since it was a request on my behalf. Not to mention, there was once I really wanted to send my friend a little surprise but was turned down.

But my rant is more specific to those who already do explicitly state no-international shipping. OP, in your case, you should have raised it with eBay as NPS.

thithi

::pretty:tough::
O.G.
I don't think the OP could have won a NPS case, because the auction didn't state they ship to international locations. On the other hand, if the auction did state that the seller shipped to Asia/international locations, then the OP would have a case.