Just a quick vent re: copycats

Schientist

Schientist
O.G.
Oct 5, 2009
I'm just venting.

I work really hard on my listings, trying to word things carefully and in a not-too-salesy-but-still-inviting way, describing features in detail, using proper grammar and spelling, etc.

So... it really annoys me when I find listing after listing of items that have just copied and pasted my text. I have fewer photos stolen since I watermark them, but you can't really watermark text. Sometimes they don't even bother to change my unique font!

I found and reported three just tonight. And I only had like 25 items listed. Sheesh.

:rtr:

Talk about damning with faint praise! They aren't copycats, they are thieves. :mad:
ITA!! I hate when they tell you "imitation is the sincerest forum of flattery."
eBay does not do jack about it either. I reported 2 items this past week and got no where.
It's a heckuva PITA to get ebay to remove description theft but they will do it if you get very specific in your proof of how the listings are plagiarized. If you use a "unique" wording to describe (even though factual), you'll tend to have better success in getting them to see it.

ITA!! I hate when they tell you "imitation is the sincerest forum of flattery."

It's a heckuva PITA to get ebay to remove description theft but they will do it if you get very specific in your proof of how the listings are plagiarized. If you use a "unique" wording to describe (even though factual), you'll tend to have better success in getting them to see it.

I've gotten one or two removed. A couple weeks ago, I reported one that turned up missing the next day. When the seller relisted, they'd randomly deleted and inserted a few words here and there to make it not "exactly" the same. Kinda reminded me of the way cheaters used to write papers in high school. ;)