Just A Funny Story

It's so fun reading these stories. DH now has a purse-radar too and notices other people looking or he himself checks out bags and points them out to me.

In WA at a major dept. store: The SA proclaimed that the Birkin was an urban purse legend in Seattle and that she's never seen one IRL. She immediately ran her hand down the front. It was pretty funny even though I let out a silent gasp inside.

At MJ in SF: Getting asked about the leather on my Togo Birkin. They were very fascinated when I whipped out my raincoat when there was a sudden downpour.

In LA--an SA at a dept. store came up to me asking to see the hippo cadena on my bag; when I obliged, her eyes immediately roved to the Hermes stamp and didn't even head to the hippo. It was pretty funny---not very interested in the hippo after all!

In NY at Bergdorfs--another customer in the fragrance dept. looked very suspiciously at my bag asking what size it was. I told her it was a 35cm, and she said that she had one too and it looked a lot bigger than mine. Um, okay...what am I supposed to say after that???

These are fun - I love reading everyone's stories - orchid's: all of yours are too funny.

Mine lately have been more like gazoo's unfortunately - kind of nasty. I've always worn whatever makes me happy and never given a thought to what anyone else thinks, but something about these bags brings out weirdness in people. I spend an extraordinary amount of time defending their honor - my 30's are attacked for "being too small to be a Birkin", my 32 HAC's are "the wrong shape to be a Birkin", my 35 "looks like I'm about to topple over from the size", my Kellys are "too bright". All have been subject to manhandling I assume has been to check for authenticity, but I'm betting they don't know what they're looking for! Actually, the nastiest people I've encountered are those who should be the most in the know: handbag department SA's at Neiman's, Saks's and other high-end boutiques. It seems that if you are no longer interested in buying their latest "it" bag, you're of no use to them and they get snippy. "I've heard there's a 2 year waiting list - how did YOU get one"......"You paid thousands of dollars for THAT?"......

Makes it REALLY fun to carry my poor babies - it's a good thing I have a thick skin and that I truly love them.:upsidedown: :lol:

These are fun - I love reading everyone's stories - orchid's: all of yours are too funny.

Actually, the nastiest people I've encountered are those who should be the most in the know: handbag department SA's at Neiman's, Saks's and other high-end boutiques. It seems that if you are no longer interested in buying their latest "it" bag, you're of no use to them and they get snippy. "I've heard there's a 2 year waiting list - how did YOU get one"......"You paid thousands of dollars for THAT?"......

Makes it REALLY fun to carry my poor babies - it's a good thing I have a thick skin and that I truly love them.:upsidedown: :lol:

I've had that happen to me before, and I just am happy I have Hermes and that's that. I changed SAs recently, and LOVE HER, b/c she appreciates my items, and is happy for me.:heart:

It's so fun reading these stories. DH now has a purse-radar too and notices other people looking or he himself checks out bags and points them out to me.

In WA at a major dept. store: The SA proclaimed that the Birkin was an urban purse legend in Seattle and that she's never seen one IRL. She immediately ran her hand down the front. It was pretty funny even though I let out a silent gasp inside.

At MJ in SF: Getting asked about the leather on my Togo Birkin. They were very fascinated when I whipped out my raincoat when there was a sudden downpour.

In LA--an SA at a dept. store came up to me asking to see the hippo cadena on my bag; when I obliged, her eyes immediately roved to the Hermes stamp and didn't even head to the hippo. It was pretty funny---not very interested in the hippo after all!

In NY at Bergdorfs--another customer in the fragrance dept. looked very suspiciously at my bag asking what size it was. I told her it was a 35cm, and she said that she had one too and it looked a lot bigger than mine. Um, okay...what am I supposed to say after that???

SO FUNNY! i bet the Bergdorf b**ch was trying to insinuate that yours was a fake. Little does she know. I find women like this to be very insecure and it's disheartening.
Gazoo, i know exactly what you mean. whenever you're anywhere NEAR Rodeo dr. people notice H. i know i do. i saw this one pretty, young asian girl with an etoupe ostrich Birkin walking down the street and i stared at her, probably drooling. lol
And i see many at Barney's and stare and stare. i find i get some nasty looks too. i dont know whats up with that!? most people will just admire outloud but then there are some snoots who simply stare and just give me a cold look.
i find i feel more "powerhouse" when im wearing more than 1 H item. it feels as if i am really invested in Hermes as opposed to "oh, somehow this chick got herself a Birkin. I bet you its not even real! hmm..ok, maybe it is, but so what?" anyway, who cares what people think but i do feel like im treated better with it. same with my car. When i first learned to drive i beat up an old Ford as a starter car. its amazing how much nicer people are and how they actually let you pass them when you have a Mercedes.

Mine lately have been more like gazoo's unfortunately - kind of nasty. I've always worn whatever makes me happy and never given a thought to what anyone else thinks, but something about these bags brings out weirdness in people. I spend an extraordinary amount of time defending their honor - my 30's are attacked for "being too small to be a Birkin", my 32 HAC's are "the wrong shape to be a Birkin", my 35 "looks like I'm about to topple over from the size", my Kellys are "too bright". All have been subject to manhandling I assume has been to check for authenticity, but I'm betting they don't know what they're looking for! Actually, the nastiest people I've encountered are those who should be the most in the know: handbag department SA's at Neiman's, Saks's and other high-end boutiques. It seems that if you are no longer interested in buying their latest "it" bag, you're of no use to them and they get snippy. "I've heard there's a 2 year waiting list - how did YOU get one"......"You paid thousands of dollars for THAT?"......

i find SA's to be nicer AT FIRST. they think you're rolling in dough and want you to be a good customer. then they try to stick some Fendi Spy bag in metallic green in your face, and you cringe, and they immediately think you're a deadbeat.

When I carry a black box anything it seems to get attention. Well, one day I walked into the store with my black box Birkin and a Japanese tourist just kept staring. She didn't speak English but signalled that she would like to try it on for size. I nodded my head. She picked up my bag.......................but I forgot to tell her I was carrying about 25 pounds of stuff in my bag. When She picked my back off the counter I thought she was going to dislocate her shoulder!!!!!!!:wtf:

Yeah my SA told me the Japanese ladies really love Box, I think due to the more classic amd polished look. Personally I've seen quite a few classic Japanese ladies carrying their Box birkins and they look great!

I have so much fun everytime I take my kelly out when she has a handle wrap. Everyone seems to love it. SAs (including Hermes SAs) come up and compliment me. So I know now that on days when I need a little extra loving, I just have to handle wrap by Kelly with my Bohu Tohu- never fails!

I must be the only person who carries her Hermes bag and never gets stared at like everyone else.

I can only think of remotely one time I had my bag at a Thai restaurant. I saw an older woman staring at it while she was dining, but she gave me that snub kind of look. (that made me mumble something to myself that wasn't the kindest...shame on me)

Later, as I was about to leave the establishment about three staff members that worked the counter/welcome area kept smiling. They spoke loudly and told me I looked lovely and they mentioned my dress. Silly me...I thought they were going to say my Kelly. No one ever says anything to me about my bags! Maybe it is just me...I am looking like an old bag!!!

I just got around to reading this and trust me - I can say with complete authority that KB is not looking like an old anything! She's as absolutely gorgeous as she is sweet and that's saying a lot. The nutsy ladies were probably paying more attention to her whole outfit than poor Kelly.

At what point does one just not let people handle the bag? I find myself caught in the middle. I've not had anyone touch my bags, yet. But other items like a new coat, jewelry, etc have been pulled at by strangers and I just don't understand it. What is wrong with people? Can't they just say something nice or nothing at all? I'd rather have the dirty looks than to be scratched or have something scratched by people. I actually had a new watch scratched once by someone wanting to see it on my wrist. I know damn well it was on purpose and though I sublimely smiled that I was so lucky to have found it, inside I was screaming and sobbing tears of blood.

At what point does one just not let people handle the bag? I find myself caught in the middle. I've not had anyone touch my bags, yet. But other items like a new coat, jewelry, etc have been pulled at by strangers and I just don't understand it. What is wrong with people? Can't they just say something nice or nothing at all? I'd rather have the dirty looks than to be scratched or have something scratched by people. I actually had a new watch scratched once by someone wanting to see it on my wrist. I know damn well it was on purpose and though I sublimely smiled that I was so lucky to have found it, inside I was screaming and sobbing tears of blood.

in my experience, some people do these things on purpose for obvious reasons [jealousy] or because they dont have any respect for your purchase and want you to know that. i find both reasons deplorable.

I actually had a new watch scratched once by someone wanting to see it on my wrist. I know damn well it was on purpose and though I sublimely smiled that I was so lucky to have found it, inside I was screaming and sobbing tears of blood.

Oh dear, gazoo. Sorry to hear this. This person is evil. :crybaby:

Oh wow - that's awful - what IS wrong with people anyway? And I don't know about you, but I've never been able to comfortably tell strangers anything - usually just have to sit there silently cringing. I think you're right - the dirty looks are better.......:lol:

I've been so incredibly busy at work lately, so when I've been going shopping, it's been during my lunch lately and I drop into Neimans or somewhere else, so I'm in my uniform suit (because I work for a DIFFERENT french luxury brand ;) ) and so mostly all the comments I've been getting is, "Is that allowed?! You work there but you carry Hermes?!" and I just reply, "Even I know Hermes is the best"...

Luckily I haven't experienced any obvious disdain or suspicious looks. I haven't had my Kelly long, but I'm young and I'll admit my wardrobe doesn't quite suit the bag I picked out (it's like an inspirational bag, I need to start dressing around it :smile: ), so I'm sure there will be soon to be coming..