Jury Duty

msleex3

Sep 28, 2006
I was scheduled to go in today for jury duty, but in the middle of the night last night, my brother became ill with something, and I have to take him to the doctor's today. I have to miss jury duty and I called this morning to try and postpone it, but the automated message said that I wasn't eligible for postponement. What should I do? Has this happened to anyone else? I'm so nervous :s

Did you get in contact with someone? There is a way to find someone through the automated service. Otherwise they could put out a warrant if you miss jury duty I believe.

Every jurisdiction is different, I would try to get somebody on the phone who can tell you how much the fine is and where to send it, or they might let you pay by phone with a credit card.

Did you get in contact with someone? There is a way to find someone through the automated service. Otherwise they could put out a warrant if you miss jury duty I believe.

I tried, but no one was available on the automated system (to personally take my call) until 10 AM. I'm definitely going to try again then, but ahh... I hope they understand, because I can't leave my brother when he has stomach pains to stand as a jury member..:sad:

I don't want to sound mean so don't take it that way, but people try to get over on jury duty all the time. People come up with all kinds of excuses to get out of jury duty. So you can't take it on yourself to not show up without a penalty. The worst they can do is put a warrant out. I would have proof that I went to the hospital that day so they know it's a valid reason.

I don't want to sound mean so don't take it that way, but people try to get over on jury duty all the time. People come up with all kinds of excuses to get out of jury duty. So you can't take it on yourself to not show up without a penalty. The worst they can do is put a warrant out. I would have proof that I went to the hospital that day so they know it's a valid reason.

Oh no, I understand, thank you!

i know this is not what you want to hear, but i doubt they'll buy it unless you have doctor's proof of your brother's illness and then legal proof that he is under 18 and you are his only caretaker. i was a superior court intern in high school and we held people to a very high burden of proof for missing jury duty. i don't know what they'll do since every jurisdiction has different, but be prepared for some unpleasantness. in any case, good luck!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help! I called the office and was relieved to find out that I have a 2-week window before/after my date to be called in. So I could go in anytime, as early as 2 weeks before my date to 2 weeks after my date. I'll be going in tomorrow--thank you all so much for your help!