Jumbo double-flaps - more structured? Who's actually excited?

It would be best if they could add the double flap but also give ppl an option on whether they want a double flap or not.. Personally, I'm fine with double or without, BUT not at all with the price.

Spoke with an SA yesterday about this as I am contemplating another Maxi before the double flap and corresponding price increase (can't believe I'm writing this because the whole reason why I bought my first Maxi in July was to avoid the August price increase, which clearly I wouldn't be avoiding if I bought a second one now). Anyhow, he said that Chanel was trying to go back to being "really classic" by instituting the double flap. Not sure what that means as I am not well educated on Chanel styles throughout time. He did mention that most people do not like the double flap because everything inside the bag is harder to access. But maybe that's a good thing! I need to stop being so easily able to pull out my wallet for things like second Maxis! ;)

I was never opposed to the idea of a double flap for the jumbo and maxi since I own a reissue 227, which has the double flap, and is like my everyday bag. The extra compartments (in front of the main compartment, the space behind the interior flap, the zip compartment, 2 card size slots, and lipstick holder slot) make organizing my things easier than with one big compartment with only a zip compartment and an open slot. This is assuming the new jumbo and maxi will share the same interior characteristics of the 227 and 228, which remains to be seen.

As for keeping its shape with the double flap, hmmm, I've seen some reissues that are slouchy and winged. If you're constantly opening and closing the flap, it will eventually wing slightly due to Sir Isaac Newton's Law of Gravity. On the other hand, seasons after seasons, Chanel makes changes to material, giving varieties to those who prefer softer leather and a slouchy look available. Keep i mind that leather softens over time due to use, because leather is a natural organ, and, as such, stretches. I am more convinced that it is the underlying thickness of the cardboard used in making these bags more structured. The sides of both the jumbo and maxi will always be more squashed, as this is the look; otherwise, the bag will be very boxy and bulky to my liking. Other factors, such as humidity, also play a role as well, breaking down the cardboard and softenng the leather . Proper storage is important to maintain the bag's shape. There is a section on proper storage of bags, please read it as it contains many valuable information.

The reason the medium/large is more structured is due to its size, putting less weight and support of the cardboard; thus, reducing the likelihood of wings to develop under the flap. Look-wise, I prefer the medium/large, but in terms of practicality, it barely fits anything to suit my everyday needs. This is where I prefer the reissue 226, much bigger to fit my essentials; yet small enough for evenings out.

As for weight, I don't find the reissue 227 heavy by all means, unless I overstuff it, and that's painful for my poor shoulders. I guess I am looking forward to the new double flap icon bags, Chanel changed the classics to icon bags btw. I am certainly not thrilled about the price though.

very well said :tup:

I don't mind double flaps on the medium flap because I wear it as a dressier bag so it isn't such a big deal to deal with the second flap always being in my way. However, I love that I can just pop open my jumbo and everything is there. No other flap to move out of the way. I like it the way it is. I'm an "if it isn't broke don't fix it" person. I like the single flap. It worked for me. I wouldn't have minded a front pocket, because that's useful, but I never really understood the NEED for the second flap, I just respected it being there because it was part of the design Coco Chanel came up with and allowed for the secret compartment I never use!

OKAY SO.... my regular SA (who never pressures me to purchase because she knows I will buy/not buy what I want :P) said that she THINKS (but is not 100% positive) that Chanel is placing the double flaps on maxi's and jumbo's for only a season (cruise) to a couple seasons (cruise/spring etc.) only. She thinks they (are planning) to revert to the back to the single flap style.

^ I wonder if this is a way for them to test the market? If sales go down, then they wouldn't feel embarassed about introducing it and can always say that it was might to be for only 1-2 seasons.

for the new price along with double flaps will release in Nov, I do not think they will change back to single flap.

to me, big company will not play game as referred here "testing water". They change from season to permanent line but not permanent to season and then reverse back to permanent.

probably because they read this web site :smile:

OKAY SO.... my regular SA (who never pressures me to purchase because she knows I will buy/not buy what I want :P) said that she THINKS (but is not 100% positive) that Chanel is placing the double flaps on maxi's and jumbo's for only a season (cruise) to a couple seasons (cruise/spring etc.) only. She thinks they (are planning) to revert to the back to the single flap style.

Then the SA is mis-informed?

pls5, I'm sure there are some SAs lurking around here. I know of several that have heard of tpf and other sites. Maybe instead of reading the company's memo they come on here for the latest news? :P

Last edited:
for the new price along with double flaps will release in Nov, I do not think they will change back to single flap.

to me, big company will not play game as referred here "testing water". They change from season to permanent line but not permanent to season and then reverse back to permanent.

We don't know that. If there are too many complaints, they may change again, like the original maxi with wing problems (not vintage XL). The original maxi only survived one season.

I agree that they could be testing the waters. Afterall, Coke changed their flavor profile to a new Coke...it failed miserably then they went back and marketed the old tried and true as "Classic Coke"...big companies will always do what makes them the most money. If the double flaps sell well for Chanel...they may stick with it...if not...I won't be surprised if they went back to the original "classic".