Jumbo Carried like "Gabriel"

Vanana

I could give up shopping, but I'm not a quitter.
Jun 28, 2015
Hello fellow Chanel enthusiasts :wave:

I own 5 jumbos (3 single flaps - less boxy; 2 double flaps - boxy/structured CFs). I use the jumbos very rarely compared to my M/Ls, reissues, OM boy, or various mini sized bags. Especially the structured double flap CFs.

Key reasons:
  • Especially double flap ones - heavy and look big visually because they look more boxy due to the structure.
  • The chain is so long that even on my height of 5'8" they hang so low that they kept banging against my upper thigh when carried single chain or cross body. I feel that it looks frumpy as a result.
Seeing the hype Chanel marketing genius has created by dangling a simple bag on a longer chain - e.g., Gabriel bag - I truly appreciate the creativity on an interesting way to carry a bag. However, I haven't rewarded Chanel's genius in creating this hype via a longer chain with a Gabriel purchase myself :P

But, I realize that I do already have bags with a chain that is too long. :idea:

I tried carrying my caviar dark silver jumbo CF today that way. I don't think it looked too bad. It definitely helped distribute the weight a bit as well. The thing is, because this CF is so structured, it looked a bit big still when I turned the face of the bag to the front. Now that said, lets remember that when we wear it double chained on one shoulder, same situation applies.

I do think that with the less structured/bulky single flap jumbos I have, it will look MUCH BETTER as it would look much more sleek and less frumpy/big visually and won't "stick out" as much against my body!

However, I'm in my PJ's and too lazy to pull one of those out for photos tonight so I'll update this thread tomorrow with that. (but I feel pretty good about that one :tup: We shall see :biggrin:

Here're some photos of how the bulkier double flap dark silver CF bag looks like carried this way. One thing that I was thinking about is that the dark silver color is sort of perfect for carrying this way because it's sort of a "cool/edgy" bag vs. for example a beige Claire jumbo which I feel like might look weird with the vibe carried this way... just how I feel :shrugs:

So, honest opinion please... what do you think? Does it work? sort of work? doesn't work well at all?

front.jpg

side.jpg

side3.jpg

back.jpg

Very different!! I think it looks a bit awkward with the jumbo though :sad: it looks a bit uncomfortable? But kudos to you for being so creative!! If you like it wear it out and I'm sure you'll turn some heads [emoji1598]
It does give off a cool edgy vibe though!! Try wearing it to a boutique and see what they say!!!
It is an interesting look, but I think if I tried it, I would get choked.
haha thought so... it sort of work but not love. I'll try the less structured single flap tomorrow. I have a good feeling about that style/size. Ideally it's like M/L size though probably :P
But at least it's not uncomfortable nor feel awkward carrying the double flap jumbo this way. :smile:

Reactions: Gabs007
LOL! You are so creative. :giggle: It does look a little awkward. I am one of those who raved about the Gabrielle Hobo until you pointed out that it's not something that couldn't be done with other bags, including the Jumbo and now you've undeniably demonstrated it.

I own 5 jumbos (3 single flaps - less boxy; 2 double flaps - boxy/structured CFs). I use the jumbos very rarely compared to my M/Ls, reissues, OM boy, or various mini sized bags. Especially the structured double flap CFs.

Key reasons:
  • Especially double flap ones - heavy and look big visually because they look more boxy due to the structure.
  • The chain is so long that even on my height of 5'8" they hang so low that they kept banging against my upper thigh when carried single chain or cross body. I feel that it looks frumpy as a result.
Seeing the hype Chanel marketing genius has created by dangling a simple bag on a longer chain - e.g., Gabriel bag - I truly appreciate the creativity on an interesting way to carry a bag. However, I haven't rewarded Chanel's genius in creating this hype via a longer chain with a Gabriel purchase myself :P

But, I realize that I do already have bags with a chain that is too long. :idea:

I tried carrying my caviar dark silver jumbo CF today that way. I don't think it looked too bad. It definitely helped distribute the weight a bit as well. The thing is, because this CF is so structured, it looked a bit big still when I turned the face of the bag to the front. Now that said, lets remember that when we wear it double chained on one shoulder, same situation applies.

I do think that with the less structured/bulky single flap jumbos I have, it will look MUCH BETTER as it would look much more sleek and less frumpy/big visually and won't "stick out" as much against my body!

However, I'm in my PJ's and too lazy to pull one of those out for photos tonight so I'll update this thread tomorrow with that. (but I feel pretty good about that one :tup: We shall see :biggrin:

Here're some photos of how the bulkier double flap dark silver CF bag looks like carried this way. One thing that I was thinking about is that the dark silver color is sort of perfect for carrying this way because it's sort of a "cool/edgy" bag vs. for example a beige Claire jumbo which I feel like might look weird with the vibe carried this way... just how I feel :shrugs:

So, honest opinion please... what do you think? Does it work? sort of work? doesn't work well at all?

View attachment 3628715

View attachment 3628716

View attachment 3628717

View attachment 3628718
This is very interesting to see! Thank you for the mod pics :tup:
You're so creative :yes:
Love to see how a single flap jumbo would look like :smile:

How funny. We were just talking about the chain length of the jumbos in the single flap thread. :smile:

Hmmm...I'm having a different experience. I'm 5'8", size 2/4 and my jumbos (all SF) hit me right at the hip joint when I wear them crossbody. (Which I rarely do). They don't get to my thigh. Maybe because I'm busty?? IDK. :oh: That being said for this large of a bag I prefer carrying them with the chain doubled.

That being said, I've seen the jumbos carried this way once before in a photo. I love innovation in fashion but honestly, I'm not a fan. It looks a little bit "hung over morning after" to me. LOL! I'd vote for traditional double chain. :amuse:

Key reasons:

View attachment 3628715

View attachment 3628716

View attachment 3628717

View attachment 3628718
You are so darn smart & creative Van....I love how your mind works!! You seriously could wear that proverbial paper bag & you'd still look gorgeous!
My NM SA text me a pic the day that got their first Gabrielle bag in saying "here's the hottest 'it' bag, what do you think"...for me I wasn't loving it (no offense to anyone who does) Often times it takes me quite some time to warm up to a bag...I can dislike it at first & then be obsessed & love it much later on after my eyes have gotten used to it. I'm weird though!

Reactions: Stratford
so creative! i love the look from the back ...I thought it was an edgy interesting take on a classic.
However when i looked at the upfront picture and the side, I didn´t like it apologies!
I am around 5.8 as well and have the same problem that it hits my thigh on a single chain when i tried it in store (I don´t own a jumbo)

Reactions: kkfiregirl
You are rock :tup:
It’s ok (quite chic) but need sometime to adjust to it visually:P
I have a double flap jumbo ... I decide to let you go.
I’m 5’6”. Wear it on side with double chain is ok for the length (around my hips) but I cannot wear it crossbody as the single chain is too long. That’s why I only used it once.
I need to free both hands to hold / carry my boys, and the my woc, mini & old medium boy give me that freedom.

Thats very creative of you Vanana! Thanks for sharing with us on your idea & your modelling pictures! Does the chain sits comfortably on both of your shoulders or does it feel a bit strained? Its great that the weight is somewhat distributed on both sholders.

I love jumbos but the weight is an issue for me especially when carried crossbody, i find it not comfortable with the chain strap on my collarbone. Most of my crossbody bags are either light/minis. :biggrin:

Alrighty... I totally forgot that I said I would post photos with a single flap in jumbo size! :P But as I roam around in my PJ I quickly change into a shirt and jeans to snap some photos :biggrin:

A promise is a promise!

Here we go - single flap jumbo lambskin - for those who knows it - the like-a-chevron bag.

So... I definitely know that with a smaller size bag it would probably look better, but seriously, I tried on the Gabriel bag. The larger bags would have similar visual issue (to me at least) that said it looked easier on the eyes because it's bucket style so more of a "north/south" vs. the jumbo which is "east/west". However, I think for some body proportions, it really isn't that bad in person. I think how long or short your torso is, height and frame would make it slightly less or more appealing. I think this is purely a trend thing.

Honestly, I think regardless of Gabriel or this or any other bag, the way to carry it like this is ok/fun/novelty now but not a true practical frequent thing because pulling it over your head for on/off is a bit silly. However, from now on, if I want to distribute the weight on a jumbo and still hands free comfortably, I know there's another option and it looks fun with the right outfit (like i'm not going to put on a Chanel tweed suit with heels and put my bag on me like this :shrugs: from a comfort/does it feel awkward perspective: at least for me, it felt totally comfortable. Another plus is that it's quite "secure" as the straps don't slip off my shoulders when carried this way.

Well this was fun... :P a little Chanel experiment :lol:
20170310_180115.jpg 20170310_180237.jpg 20170310_180933.jpg 20170310_180946.jpg

Very different!! I think it looks a bit awkward with the jumbo though :sad: it looks a bit uncomfortable? But kudos to you for being so creative!! If you like it wear it out and I'm sure you'll turn some heads [emoji1598]
It does give off a cool edgy vibe though!! Try wearing it to a boutique and see what they say!!!
Funny enough it's not uncomfortable! in fact it's more comfortable to me than having it swing around. the double flap less comfy than single flap but honestly because it's not that high under my armpit area (I realize in the photos it looks like it hangs higher but IRL it didn't more like high waist where my waist curve in naturally? so it doesn't feel bad at all). It's probably not the ideal way to carry a jumbo, but I actually decided I like it more than single chain (HATE that).