Julie & Julia

Have you seen "The Lord of the Rings" movies? The different sizes of the characters in a single shot was amazing! The magic of CGI makes everything possible - and in such a way that it doesn't seem obvious that any trickery is going on!
I am waiting for a few friends to finish the "Julie/Julia" book so we can go see the movie together. I loved the book so much that I could do nothing else but read and I finished it in three days, though I really slowed down as I went along cause I didn't want it to end! Went off and picked up Julia Child's "My Life In France" which was fantastic - hoping to see the movie next week. Have loved Meryl since "The Deerhunter"!!

Last edited:
I saw it today and really enjoyed it. Meryl Streep was amazing as usual. I loved seein the relationship between Julia and her husband.

Amy Adams was really great although I was getting a little tired of here whiny character. I was also disappointed that she never met Julia Child and the call with Juila's opinion was depressing.

I saw this with DH on Saturday - we are "foodies" and The Food Network is on our TV all the time!

We both loved it - Meryl Streep was fabulous, and the portrayal of her relationship with her husband (S. Tucci) was wonderful. I highly recommend it!

The thing that struck me about the way that Meryl played Julia is how much I would have loved to have been her friend. She just seemed like an extraordinary, full of life person! Like someone who would bring the energy of a group up!

I wanted to see Julie and Julia the first time I heard of it.

Now that I finally have, I think the writers of all those bad reviews just didn't get it.

Maybe they were expecting to see a different movie, one that was "about" something else.

Julie and Julia is "about" 2 people, at different times in history, who each finds that her life has somehow gotten toxically entangled in the implementation of international business decisions over which they had no control, until they are ass-deep in the alligators of a completely different swamp than either had started out with the intention to drain.

This is hardly a unique situation, or even an unusual one, and the story the movie tells is very simple. The key ingredient that makes Julie and Julia a story is the way each woman actively saves herself.

Rather than taking the road more traveled and contenting themselves with swaddling their wounds with the proffered blankets woven from thread of the venomous strain of belief Voltaire warned about, insidiously impregnated with the very poison from which they sought to save themselves, both women experience a similar kicking-in of a fundamental self-preservation instinct - active vs passive!

Each is irresistibly driven to immerse themselves in the most basic antithesis of those business decisions: the simultaneous sustenance and celebration of human life that is food.

This, too is actually pretty common. It's the whole idea behind everything from "comfort food," to people who actually do harm to themselves as a result of "self-medicating" with food.

What sets both Julia and Julie apart is that they don't just plant themselves on the couch and passively consume food - active vs passive again - they take it to the next level, beyond mere self-medication into the land of self-therapy, seizing the reins of a horse they can control, and throw themselves body and soul, into every aspect of the active preparation of food.

One of the most popular criticisms of Julie and Julia is that the roles of the husbands are not fleshed out, that both Paul Child and Eric Powell are portrayed as one-dimensional simpletons.

Yet the stories of Julie and Julia emerge as also very much the stories of the men who love them.

Like the preparation of food, love is also an active expression of the celebration and sustenance of life and hope. Some love stories are simple, happy ones. What's so terrible about that?

Anyway, I liked Julie and Julia, and of course, watching Meryl Streep "being" Julia Child is a joy all unto itself, and reason enough to see this movie if you get a chance.

I'm dying to see this movie. I hope it comes out on Video/DVD before Christmas so I can rent it with my mom, but it probably won't be out for awhile. SIGH... maybe they'll want to make it to the christmas sales because of the economy!