Julie & Julia

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Save 25% off all Jeans at Nordstrom. Sale ends Sunday at noon EST. Click or tap to shop the sale!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
    The movie, Julie & Julia, isn't out in theaters until August 7, but I was luckily invited to an private advance screening of it yesterday. I must say that this movie is just so cute and funny and its a great movie to bring your family with you. Its very inspiring that I feel like watching a few episodes from Julia's cooking show and attempting to cook something myself...lol!

Meryl Streep is just beyond talented and she did a wonderful portrayal of Julia Child with her unique way of speaking and joking (there were some slightly dirty jokes in this movie...lol!). Also, I don't know how they were able to make Meryl Streep appear so much taller and broader than the other people in the movie; she seemed like a giant! :biggrin:

Edit: Julia Child's height was 6'2" and Meryl Streep's height is 5'6". How did they manage to pull that off in the movie?! :confused1:

[​IMG]

2. i want to see this! it looks so cute plus i love the soundtrack, major Jem fan! Thanks for the super review.

3. This does look super cute - I think I am going to try to do a girls day with my mom and sister to see it.

4. I have seen the previews and as always am wowed by Meryl Strep. I don't know how she does it! Can't wait for the movie to come out!

5. The book was really cute too in case anyone might not know about it.

6. I just saw the preview at the theatre and it looks great! Love Meryl...

7. I am SO looking foward to seeing this! I wish it opened NOW! :biggrin:

8. The book was great, and I love Amy Adams. Can't wait for the movie!!

9. M. Streep and S. Tucci are just fab as the Childs couple living in Paris !
    Amy Adams plays a bit of a woman-child, but was good I thought.
    Worth Seeing.

10. The book kept me thoroughly entertained during a flight delay at LeGuardia. . . I'm looking forward to the movie! One of my friends also had an advance screening and thought it was great!

11. I always see the preview, but still don't really get what this movie is about, lol.

12. ^It's a dual story about Julia Child and how she became a chef/cook, and then the other story is about Julie Powell who took a year and cooked every recipe in Julia Child's cookbook and wrote a blog about it as she did so.

It was actually a cute movie, my parents went to see it last night, I wasn't going to but then decided to at the last minute. I love Meryl Streep, she's so cute in the role.

13. I just finished reading the book, so now I'm ready to see the movie! Hoping to do so within the next week. I wonder how similar it is to the book or does it take only certain excerpts? Movies are always a disappointment after reading the book because you have a certain image in my head that will likely differ from the movie directors. Anyone seen the movie that also read the book?

14. I saw this on Friday with my dad...I LOVE Meryl Streep's portrayal of Julia Child!! She is such an amazing actress! I liked Amy Adam's role as Julie also, but I pictured her character a little different. Like, talking to a picture of Julia for inspiration...she was much more of a complainer than I thought she would be. I mean, I get it, your life kinda sucks so, of course it's a path to self discovery but her getting all worked up over some things was just a little much at times. I was also surprised that she never got to meet Julia in the movie! I thought for sure that they would have met, but I guess not! after watching this movie thought I felt the urge to watch some old Julia Child cooking shows (which I didn't lol) but I am such a bad cook that I didn't lol. I thought the movie was very cute though, I'd watch it again when it came on HBO or something like that.

15. Saw it tonight and loved it. Meryl is just amazing!