Judge Orders Paternity Test for Anna Nicole's Baby

Jan 23, 2006
annanicole_smith180.jpg

A Los Angeles judge has ordered a paternity test to determine the father of Anna Nicole Smith's 3-month-old daughter Dannielynn Hope, PEOPLE has learned.

The ruling, which was revealed on Thursday, came in a lawsuit filed by freelance photographer Larry Birkhead, who claims that he – and not Smith's fiancé Howard K. Stern – is the father of the infant.

"If I was on anybody's Christmas list, they can scratch me off because this is the best Christmas present I could have ever received," Birkhead told PEOPLE. "I'm one step closer to beginning a relationship with my daughter."

Smith's lawyer, Ron Rale, declined to comment on the details of the ruling, but claimed the judge "threw out 80 percent of their case.

"This isn't nearly the end of the story," said Rale.

Smith, 39, has been residing with Stern, 38, in the Bahamas, where she gave birth to Dannielynn on Sept. 7. Three days later, her 20-year-old son Daniel died in Smith's hospital room.

The former Playboy pinup and Stern returned to the U.S. last week for a hearing in San Francisco in her effort to collect an inheritance from her late husband, oilman J. Howard Marshall II. It's not known whether the baby was with them.

Smith and Stern, who is Smith's longtime lawyer, exchanged vows in a Sept. 28 commitment ceremony. Stern has claimed to be the girl's father, which he revealed that month on Larry King Live.

Smith's ex-flame Birkhead, 33, countered by filing suit demanding that Smith and the child return to the United States to submit to genetic testing.

According to sources, Superior Court Judge Robert A. Schnider ruled that the parties in the case will have to work out whether the tests will be done in the United States or in the Bahamas.

The whereabouts of Smith and Stern are unclear.

Come on now! We all know this is going to be a Maury Moment.

In the matter of 3 month old Dannielynn Hope, Larry...

You are NOT the father!

Larry is shocked. The tears boil in his eye and he runs off the stage. Anna Nicole is screaming at him, 'See, I told you she ain't your daughter'.

Maury urges Anna to sit down so he can tell her whether Howard is the father of Dannielynn.

In the matter of 3 month old Dannielynn Hope, Howard....

You are NOT the father!

Audience gasps as Anna Nicole runs off the stage looking like a fool. She falls to the floor when she realizes Maury's set is a locked circle of doors. She sits in the green room and the camera follows her with Howard and Maury on their trail.

'Anna, how could you do this to our family?'
'I swear Howard, I didn't know.'
'I don't know if I can trust you anymore, but I'll always be there for Dannielynn.'

Maury: Anna as you know we'll be here waiting when you come up with another man as the father of your child. Just let us know when you're ready.

Anna: There is no other father. Your test is wrong. Howard IS the father! I swear.

Can you tell I watch a lot of Maury? :yes:

Just genetically speaking.... It's really hard to have a blond haired baby when you have one dark haired parent. I think it's way more likely Larry is the daddy.

Come on now! We all know this is going to be a Maury Moment.

In the matter of 3 month old Dannielynn Hope, Larry...

You are NOT the father!

Larry is shocked. The tears boil in his eye and he runs off the stage. Anna Nicole is screaming at him, 'See, I told you she ain't your daughter'.

Maury urges Anna to sit down so he can tell her whether Howard is the father of Dannielynn.

In the matter of 3 month old Dannielynn Hope, Howard....

You are NOT the father!

Audience gasps as Anna Nicole runs off the stage looking like a fool. She falls to the floor when she realizes Maury's set is a locked circle of doors. She sits in the green room and the camera follows her with Howard and Maury on their trail.

'Anna, how could you do this to our family?'
'I swear Howard, I didn't know.'
'I don't know if I can trust you anymore, but I'll always be there for Dannielynn.'

Maury: Anna as you know we'll be here waiting when you come up with another man as the father of your child. Just let us know when you're ready.

Anna: There is no other father. Your test is wrong. Howard IS the father! I swear.

Can you tell I watch a lot of Maury? :yes:
:roflmfao: :roflmfao: :roflmfao: you're too funny elongreach.