John Hughes Passes Away

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b138124_john_hughes_bard_of_teen_angst_dead_59.html?utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

John Hughes, Bard of Teen Angst, Dead at 59

Odds are you didn't go to high school with John Hughes. Odds are it sure seemed like you did.

Hughes, the popular, almost-mythic filmmaker who made teen angst hurt so good in biting comedies such as Sixteen Candles only to leave Generation Xers largely on their own as the Molly Ringwald-ruled 1980s ended, died after suffering a sudden heart attack during a walk this morning in Manhattan. He was 59.

"Bueller? Bueller?…Anyone? Anyone?"
—Ferris Bueller's Day Off

"John Hughes wrote some of the great outsider characters of all time," Judd Apatow, the currently hot filmmaker from the Hughes mold, told the Los Angeles Times last year.

It probably would be quicker to list the 1980s movies Hughes wasn't responsible for as either a writer, director or producer.

His credits included: Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink, all starring Ringwald; Weird Science, Some Kind of Wonderful and She's Having a Baby, all quotable—and quoted—in their own right; and, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, the signature Matthew Broderick, if not Hughes, comedy.

Though most associated with the 1980s, the 1990s brought Hughes his biggest box-office hits via the Home Alone franchise.

Hughes' quick mind and evidently even quicker typing fingers also produced the Michael Keaton hit Mr. Mom, the John Candy-Steve Martin hit Planes, Trains & Automobiles and the Chevy Chase blockbuster National Lampoon's Vacation.

"They think he's a righteous dude."

The secret to Hughes' success, especially in the 1980s, might have been as simple as his novel outlook on an oft-maligned species: the American teenager.

''I don't think of kids as a lower form of the human species,'' Hughes said in the New York Times in 1986.

Born in 1950 in Michigan, Hughes' writing career began in Chicago, the leafy suburbs of which served as future home to the Buellers, the Saturday-morning detention gang at Shermer High and nearly all his screenplay characters.

In 1979, the former ad copywriter and National Lampoon magazine staffer scored his first Hollywood credit on a short-lived sitcom spinoff of Animal House. Within five years, Hughes was in the director's chair on Sixteen Candles.

''I stumbled into this business, I didn't train for it," Hughes told Entertainment Weekly in 1994. "I yelled 'Action!' on my first two movies before the camera was turned on."

Actors whose careers were helped mightily by Hughes' allegedly accidental one include Jon Cryer, Anthony Michael Hall, Emilio Estevez, Ally Sheedy, Judd Nelson and Home Alone revelation Macaulay Culkin. Some, like Sheedy, Estevez and Nelson, became members of the unofficial 1980s film society known as the Brat Pack. Some, like Culkin, featured in the Candy-starring Uncle Buck, worked on multiple Hughes films.

No Hughes actor was more associated with Hughes than Ringwald.

"I can't believe this. They f--king forgot my birthday."
—Sixteen Candles

Ringwald was the teen queen to Hughes' king; the fresh-faced sayer of his tough truths. The two made three movies from 1984 to 1986. Some 25 years later, audiences were still waiting to attend their reunion. A Sixteen Candles sequel was talked about but never made.

"I would ordinarily not want to do something like that, but I think that Sixteen Candles lends itself to [a sequel]," Ringwald told AOL this year. "I mean, Breakfast Club is just so perfect as is. I guess Pretty in Pink is possible, but Sixteen Candles is really the one…It was such a Cinderella story. And I was interested to see what happened to this girl."

"Demented and sad, but social."
—The Breakfast Club

Hughes walked away from directing after the 1991 family film Curly Sue. And while he continued to produce and write (occasionally as Edmond Dantés, a pen name used on the Beethoven movies, Jennifer Lopez's Maid in Manhattan and the Apatow-produced Drillbit Tayor), he abdicated his angsty crown.

Wrote Variety of Hughes in 2008: He "doesn't give interviews, has no publicist and lives in Wisconsin."

Kevin Smith, one of the numerous writers and directors raised under the influence of the classic Hughes teen comedies, once called the filmmaker his generation's J.D. Salinger, after the reclusive Catcher in the Rye author.

In typical shrug-it-off fashion, Hughes refused to make his absence from directing, if not Hollywood, sound like a big deal, and certainly not like a mysterious deal.

"I don't like getting up early, and it takes a long time," Hughes told Ink 19 when asked if he'd direct again.

Survivors include Hughes' wife of 39 years, Nancy, and two sons, including the music producer John Hughes III.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

(Originally published Aug. 6, 2009 at 1:57 p.m. PT)

Last edited:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090807/en_nm/us_hughes_5

"Brat Pack" director John Hughes dies of heart attack

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Filmmaker John Hughes, who made some of the most memorable teen comedies of the 1980s and turned Macaulay Culkin into a major star, died suddenly of a heart attack in New York on Thursday. He was 59.

Hughes, who had largely turned his back on Hollywood in the past decade to become a farmer in the Midwestern state of Illinois, collapsed while strolling in Manhattan, where he was visiting family.

His films, such as "Sixteen Candles," "The Breakfast Club" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," are considered standard-bearers of the teen genre, exploring American adolescent behavior with warmth and affection. He supplied his awkward characters with natural dialogue, allowing audiences to empathize with their travails.

Hughes worked with Molly Ringwald on both "Sixteen Candles" and "The Breakfast Club," as well as 1986's "Pretty in Pink," which he wrote and produced. He also made a star out of Matthew Broderick, the fearless hero of "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" who makes good on his determination to miss a day of school.

"Many filmmakers portray teenagers as immoral and ignorant with pursuits that are pretty base," Hughes told the Chicago Tribune in 1985 as he was about to release "The Breakfast Club," his second directing effort.

"They seem to think that teenagers aren't very bright. But I haven't found that to be the case. I listen to kids. I respect them. I don't discount anything they have to say just because they're only 16 years-old."

'HOME ALONE' SAVED STUDIO

In 1990, Hughes struck gold by writing and producing "Home Alone," in which Culkin played an 8-year-old left to fend for himself against hapless burglars. The film grossed almost $500 million worldwide, a timely savior for 20th Century Fox's owner, News Corp, which was strapped for cash and struggling to pay its creditors at the time. Chris Columbus directed the film and its 1992 sequel.

"The Breakfast Club," a rare drama in the Hughes canon, helped give birth to the term "Brat Pack," which described the fresh-faced, attractive stars cropping up in a rash of coming-of-age movies.

Ringwald and fellow "Sixteen Candles" alumnus Anthony Michael Hall starred with Ally Sheedy, Emilio Estevez and Judd Nelson in the film, which depicted five, troubled high school youths confronting one another and their deepest secrets during one long day at a high school detention hall.

In all, Hughes wrote, produced and directed eight films through his last effort, "Curly Sue," in 1991. He worked with the late John Candy on two hits, 1987's "Planes, Trains & Automobiles" and 1989's "Uncle Buck."

In the 1990s, he focused on writing largely family-friendly fare, such as the "Beethoven" canine franchise and the remake of "101 Dalmatians."

"I am truly shocked and saddened by the news about my old friend John Hughes," Broderick said in a statement following the director's death. "He was a wonderful, very talented guy and my heart goes out to his family."

Hughes withdrew from Hollywood in the past decade, in part to maintain a farm in northern Illinois and to support independent arts, his spokesman said.

John Wilden Hughes, Jr., was born on February 18, 1950, in Michigan, and based himself in the Chicago suburbs throughout his career, where many of his films were based. He started out as an advertising copywriter before trying his hand at script writing.

He recalled that his early efforts were inspired by the teenage children of his older colleagues. One such youngster warmed to his idea for "Sixteen Candles" and encouraged him to write it, while her brother came up with the title of "The Breakfast Club."

Hughes is survived by his wife of 39 years, Nancy, two sons, John and James, and four grandchildren.

(Reporting by Dean Goodman and Alex Dobuzinskis; Editing by Bob Tourtellotte and Peter Cooney)

So sad -- he was still pretty young!!
Who doesn't love at least ONE John Hughes movie?!
I grew up w/so many of them and members of "The Brat Pack" were my age!!!

this is really sad, I loved his Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and The Breakfast Club. I was in my teens when he made those. Too young to die, sad sad news,

thanks for the article mooks,

Kat