Workplace Job search frustration!

jp23

jeska2333
O.G.
Jan 6, 2012
So for those who read my last couple of posts I've been on the hunt for a new job in the area I'm planning to move to. After a couple of weeks of no phone calls, ignored emails, and "we aren't hiring" responses I've finally got some call backs and offers! The only problem is the offers I'm receiving are A LOT less than what I'm making now. Right now I'm currently working at a high end department store and doing very well, I make good commission that usually doubles my hourly and have a great group of people I work with and an amazing discount! It is just very far from where I need to be. And even if I transfer to a different branch of the same department store my hourly and commission rate won't be any better than my current offers from other places. With the offers I'm currently receiving it would only leave me about $300 a month after rent for gas (but I have a Prius c and school is 5 min away and work at my best offer is 20min) groceries and school supplies which I'm afraid would be cutting it pretty close. I'm in the process of trying to negotiate but a lot of the boutiques said they wouldn't be able to do much. I have to be moved in by September 1st so time is running out. Should I accept one of the offers? Or go ahead and move in and commute to my current job (2.5 hours away but only $4 a trip) until I can find a better offer? Any advice would be appreciated!

That's a personal decision. If the total current salary covers the travel expense to get there and then some, then it becomes a matter of how valuable is your time? Or can you cut expenses in other areas at the new place (cable/internet/phone etc) to make the other jobs more financially worthwhile? It's a tradeoff with certain things but if you are single and have only yourself to take care of, it's amazing what is really a "necessity" and what really isn't and can be downgraded substantially.

I personally would not give up 5 hours a day to travel to job that is not career based. But if it doesn't bother you to make the trips up and back and you can stash away some funds and it's a temporary situation until you get yourself through school, then that's a good decision too. It all depends on what's more important right now: money or your free time.

Those 5 hours commuting are going to eat away at you. If it were me, I'd find ways to economize (cheaper apartment, getting a roommate, no cable tv, etc...).

Can you increase your salary by increasing your sales?

5 hrs commute daily is crazy. You may be ok for a few months before it eats away at your life and energy. Definitely not worth it. Like above post, cut out extra expense, shop less and bide your budget until you find something better.

Oh my word, I commute 2 hours a day worst case and just that little bit gets to me, definitely don't make the commute. I'm trying to imagine if I had to drive to San Diego and back on a daily basis which for me would be the same distance you're looking at and I can't even fathom! Do you have to stay in retail? I only ask because you may be able to find something in another field that would pay more, unless based on your school schedule retail is the only field that will cooperate with your schedule... I agree with other posters though, you may need to re-evaluate your budget and whatnot. Take on a roommate or do without certain amenities for the time being.

To paraphrase a quote, the cost of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. Think about those five hours a day in terms of your hourly rate and compare the wages then. Is that still worth it? Twenty five hours a week is another job in and of itself.

Right now I'm looking at a back house apartment where cable and internet are included because the front house has it. Right now my retail situation is sticky one of my higher hourly offers is no commission two of my other offers are on draw commission which means I probably won't be making much if any and my best offer so far is my What I get paid hourly now but with only 2% commission and a lower priced point items to sell. Unfortunately my schedule with school and my resume are more retail friendly! The roommate situation is something I've tried to work out but is a huge issue with my parents . If my parents like the house they are more willing to help ( the house I'm looking at now they love and volunteered to pay my utilities). When I was wanting to live with a roommate my parents said they thought it was a terrible idea ( I have a lot of expensive equipment and handbags lol) and they said if I did that they were unwilling to help me with anything also some of the rooms in area are almost as much as some of the studios I'm looking at lol! But thanks for your input ladies I have two more interviews on Tuesday!

Hey OP, I just read the other thread that mentioned where you live and where school is. Without saying exactly where, I live extremely close to Pasadena! Have you perhaps tried the stores at the Americana or Glendale Galleria?? The Galleria just opened a Bloomingdale's not long ago and may be looking, especially with holidays approaching. Or the Nordstrom at The Americana... PM me if you'd like, maybe I can help broaden your search.

Hey OP, I just read the other thread that mentioned where you live and where school is. Without saying exactly where, I live extremely close to Pasadena! Have you perhaps tried the stores at the Americana or Glendale Galleria?? The Galleria just opened a Bloomingdale's not long ago and may be looking, especially with holidays approaching. Or the Nordstrom at The Americana... PM me if you'd like, maybe I can help broaden your search.

Thanks I Barney's but they aren't hiring and bloomies and nordies gave me not so good offers :/ I just interviewed with saks Beverly Hills it's a bit of a drive but I work there now and love it it went really well I interviewed with like 5 people lol let's see how their offer turns out!

I just read in Yahoo Business that The Container Store and Costco pays $20.00 an hour. That is better than some temp jobs that require a BA. Looking in West LA and the Agencies have the corner on the job market! Good Luck

Costco definitely does not pay $20/hour. They start you at around $11 per hour and you slowly get paid more and more. And you have to start at the bottom (cash hours, must be available from around 5 in the morning till 11 at night) and work your way up. Personally know people who went to interviews with Costco in Canada and this was what they were offered.

^ it really depends.. biggest secret in the industry? there is no such thing as equalization across board

I've been promoted within months when others were told minimum one year in the position

I've seen friends get hefty raises so that they make about 17-18$ easily processing paperwork AND the same person whose been there even longer..her mom works full time during the week btw..gets mere 13$ a hour

really really big differences sometimes. sometimes not.

I remember a friend b***h to me that she got paid 50 cents less then another girl whose also finishing degree but she has more experience working retail..well..maybe she argued for more? maybe that recruiter liked her more and thought she was worth the extra 1/2$?

either way I've longed stopped believing in the whole, we can only do this..or only do that..no, it's only they are willing to go so far and if you accept it, that's cool, but if not then it's a good time to job hunt or go and further skills while you're trucking away at the job

^ it really depends.. biggest secret in the industry? there is no such thing as equalization across board

I've been promoted within months when others were told minimum one year in the position

I've seen friends get hefty raises so that they make about 17-18$ easily processing paperwork AND the same person whose been there even longer..her mom works full time during the week btw..gets mere 13$ a hour

really really big differences sometimes. sometimes not.

I remember a friend b***h to me that she got paid 50 cents less then another girl whose also finishing degree but she has more experience working retail..well..maybe she argued for more? maybe that recruiter liked her more and thought she was worth the extra 1/2$?

either way I've longed stopped believing in the whole, we can only do this..or only do that..no, it's only they are willing to go so far and if you accept it, that's cool, but if not then it's a good time to job hunt or go and further skills while you're trucking away at the job

My friend who worked at Costco got paid $20 an hour as well lol

Could be that Costco pays a lot better in the States than they do here in Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case to be honest. I even know people that have been working at Costco 20+ years that still don't make $20 per hour.