Workplace Job Interview

BTBF

O.G.
Feb 11, 2006
I just learned that I will have a job interview next week. I am so excitied yet nervous at the same time. It's very important that I do well.

Please give me some advices. Thanks!!!

Be yourself! Also, try to visualize yourself working at this place. It is important to remember that the interview works both ways.

Congrats! I went on tons of job interviews, I'm preparing for interviewing again, since I might be moving. My advice - dress nice, smile a lot, act interested in what the person you meet with is telling you (even if it is boring!), be confident and be yourself :nuts:

I would practice in giving your answers. Generic questions like: Where would you like to be in 5 years, why should I hire you, What are your strengths/weaknesses? Make sure you stress that you love to learn and you're more concerned with growing (through learning) rather than climbing up the ladder.

Dress professionally, no perfume..., no big jewelry, nothing loud. Make them pay attention to what you say, not what you're wearing!

Good luck!

i guess the only thing i can suggest is look nice and well groomed and make sure to have lots of questions prepared that you can ask the interviewers (because i've found some interviewers are really lazy and the entire interview is......so do you have any questions for me?).......other than that just act confident and be personable....after all if you get hired these ppl are stuck working with you, so they wanna hire somebody they can get along with

^^^ I agree. Be prepared!! Educate yourself about the job and the company. You should always have some well-thought out questions, Pradasmeadow's right, its a 2-way endeavor. Also be prepared to give specific examples of how/why you're right for the job, many companies are moving away from that "where do you see yourself in 5 years" general question type and asking very specific, targeted questions, so be ready. Best of Luck and Congrats on the interview!!

Great advice here. I'd add: Dress professionally (I know some of you are saying "duh", but you can't believe what I see), maintain eye contact, be ready to explain what value you would bring to them.

Don't be nervous. They're just people just like you. Worst case, it'll be learning experience. Best case, you've got a new job. Either way, you're okay.

Good luck!

Also, find out who will be your interviewer and dig up his/her background history. If the interviewer graduated from the same college or grad school as you, be sure to mention it and start talking about the good o' days. I notice you'll bond faster and easier with the interviewer after that.

I have interviewed A LOT of people. I can say that for 99% of the questions I ask, there is no right or wrong answer. I'm looking more at how you answer: Were you flustered? Willing to ask for clarification? Wishy-washy or willing to take a stand? Were your answers intelligent (and intelligible)?

Sherri S. said:
I have interviewed A LOT of people. I can say that for 99% of the questions I ask, there is no right or wrong answer. I'm looking more at how you answer: Were you flustered? Willing to ask for clarification? Wishy-washy or willing to take a stand? Were your answers intelligent (and intelligible)?

I agree here. It is how you answer. This is probably why I still ask the "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" I'm looking for people who can talk through the question and not get flustered.