job interview shoes

^Hmmm. Maybe I am insane, but I was in charge of hiring as the director of my department and I think image has a lot to do with landing a job. Clearly skill comes first, but a well put together person speaks volumes. I wouldn't wear Mad Marys, but I think a professional suit with a funky closed toe heel is just fine. I would stay in the 4" range or lower and wear a simple, neutral suit (black, brown, beige, etc.). Often times, employers are looking for a consummate professional who is warm and fun (especially in education). Just my humble opinion...

Environment is everything! Were I work I can mostly wear anything I want. If I have meetings with new clients or a big event to tend to I mostly wear a black dress and heels (the safe choice) but I do wear peep toes for work!! - I think maybe it is a bit more casual where I come from ?

I think the CLs posted are very suitable for at job interview. For those who knows the brand it equals quality and good taste. For those who don't it is just a pretty shoe - nice and simple.

^ I wear peep-toe shoes to work too, all the time (and I work in a conservative field). That doesn't mean that they're appropriate for an interview. I wear many, many things to work that I would not wear to an interview. The general rule of thumb for an interview is that you want to be as conservative as possible, and that goes for everything -- clothes, shoes, hair, nails, makeup, fragrance (don't wear any), etc. (Of course, there are exceptions to every rule -- if you're interviewing at a fashion magazine, for example, you might not want to wear the standard black suit. I wouldn't know :smile:.)

I honestly think that the fact that we're even having this discussion and that people are coming down on both sides indicates that wearing CLs to an interview would be risky...so why take the risk? I'd play it safe, and wear them once I got the job :smile:.

^ I wear peep-toe shoes to work too, all the time (and I work in a conservative field). That doesn't mean that they're appropriate for an interview. I wear many, many things to work that I would not wear to an interview. The general rule of thumb for an interview is that you want to be as conservative as possible, and that goes for everything -- clothes, shoes, hair, nails, makeup, fragrance (don't wear any), etc. (Of course, there are exceptions to every rule -- if you're interviewing at a fashion magazine, for example, you might not want to wear the standard black suit. I wouldn't know :smile:.)

I honestly think that the fact that we're even having this discussion and that people are coming down on both sides indicates that wearing CLs to an interview would be risky...so why take the risk? I'd play it safe, and wear them once I got the job :smile:.

exactly. unless, of course, you are interviewing in fashion or something along those lines.

ITA that it depends on the job you're interviewing for. When I was interviewing at different firms, I was familiar with the industry standard. While most firms will allow you an open toe (mine has an open toe/closed back, open back/closed toe rule), I personally didn't wear them on my interviews over the summer. I just stuck with my black simple 85's, which are my go-to conservative shoe. To be honest, I don't think anyone noticed they were CL's!
That being said, I wouldn't go out and buy a pair of CL's just for an interview. Save them to celebrate when you land the job! :yahoo:

^Hmmm. Maybe I am insane, but I was in charge of hiring as the director of my department and I think image has a lot to do with landing a job. Clearly skill comes first, but a well put together person speaks volumes. I wouldn't wear Mad Marys, but I think a professional suit with a funky closed toe heel is just fine. I would stay in the 4" range or lower and wear a simple, neutral suit (black, brown, beige, etc.). Often times, employers are looking for a consummate professional who is warm and fun (especially in education). Just my humble opinion...

I think you're right and I have a personal experience to back it up.

Once, I was brought in for a second interview at a job I was really excited for. I was in such a rush, that I got a snag in my panty-hoes on my way to the interview. The CEO saw me and asked me various questions. At the end of the interview, he asked me if I was a detail oriented person. I told him I like to think so, and he looked down at my snagged panty-hoes as he said "I'm not so sure."

I never heard from them again! :tdown:

I would have loved that job, but that guy was an a$$.

Once, I was brought in for a second interview at a job I was really excited for. I was in such a rush, that I got a snag in my panty-hoes on my way to the interview. The CEO saw me and asked me various questions. At the end of the interview, he asked me if I was a detail oriented person. I told him I like to think so, and he looked down at my snagged panty-hoes as he said "I'm not so sure."

So sorry that happened to you...what a jerk. I would never deny someone a job because of ripped hose...ashy ankles...maybe. lol!!

Girls, I personally feel that when you work in engineering there should be no expectations whatsoever regarding how you look. Your performance should be all that matters. But I guess in the real world that's simply not true. Too bad too: I've always wanted blue hair. Maybe someday when I retire!

that's so silly! NOBODY would knowingly go out with snagged panty hose.. except maybe amy winehouse, but i don't think she'd be interviewing for a job so she doesn't have to worry about that.. so he was an idiot for making such a comment.. clearly it happened after u left ur house!

My boss (a woman) is of the mindset if you aren't smart enough to always have a back up pair of panty hose (or pants to change into if a run does happen) you aren't smart enough to work for her. I always though that was funny and I chalked it up to her qurkiness. How horrible it happened to you! :tdown:

I hate panty hose. If I wear any 'hose' now it's usually tights in winter.

In my old job, I kept a spare pair of nude hose in my desk.

Hose never failed to run or snag. I've bought pairs, opened the package, and lo and behold, they came with their own hole. You pay $10-20 for them now and may get one wear. Just a way for women to throw out money.