Job Interview Follow Up Protocol?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. My friend has been out of work for 8 months. She just interviewed for a job with an individual who needs an assistant. They got along well and she feels the interview went well and she would take the job if offered. She is going to send a thank you note and wait till tuesday
    to call and follow up because she says that is how it is done.
    I told her she should call today and say blah blah blah and how she would really like the job or whatever one says. I have not worked in over 14 years so I do not know what is right or wrong, but I would think in this competitive market, isn't it better to let someone know you want the job right away?
    Please let me know what you all think. TIA

2. Well, my workplace must be out of the ordinary. Where I work, if you follow up on a job AT ALL, interview or not, your resume goes in the trash pile automatically.

3. I think a thank you card is appropriate. Calling the very next day seems too pushy, IMO.

4. I always sent a thank you card to the person who interviewed me...normally had it and mailed it right after the interview so they would receive it the next day...but I generally did not follow up with a call....

Normally the place called me back by the time they said, or I would have gotten the form rejection letter via mail.

Granted...I have not interviewed for 8 years...so who knows!

5. IMO a thank you email is better. Calling to follow up is definitely too much. They would think u're desperate. My recruiter suggests me to write thank you emails to the ones that interviewed you. It's just a nice gesture since they took the time to see you.

6. I would send a thank you email to everyone I interviewed with. Snail mail can take too long, even if you're in the same city as where you interviewed. Most hiring managers I've worked with are too busy and buried to find time to grab lunch much less go check their snail mailslots, LOL.

Did they mention a timeframe on when they would make a decision?

Sending happy thoughts to your friend, shanam!

7. I usually call the next day and ask them what time they want me to start on Monday. ;)

Ok, not really. I'd send the email. Thank them for their time, explain you feel the company would be a great match, and let them know that if they have any questions, feel free to call/email.

8. Send a thank you email immediately and even though it seems redundant, I strongly recommend she mail a hand written thank you note too. She's interviewing for an assistant position and I know this extra effort will be noted and appreciated by the interviewer. Wouldn't you want an assistant who shows she is on top of things and goes the extra mile?

If she does not hear anything within 5 business days, she should feel comfortable to call her contact (whether that's an HR person or the hiring manager) to inquire about the status of her candidacy for the position and reiterate her interest in it.

Good luck to your friend!

9. Thank you all for your advice. She is going to send a note and wait till tuesday. of course if it was me i would do exactly as charles suggested:lol:

10. Definitely send a thank you email/card, but no phone call just yet. If I haven't heard back in a few days, I prefer email to follow up rather than the phone. You want to be interested but not TOO interested that you're desperate--otherwise, you'd have no negotiating power over salary!

A thank you email is probably better, but I like more traditional thank you cards. They show that you've taken the time to buy a card, write something, and mail it. However, I've come to realize I rarely check the mail at work myself. At my last job, it wasn't until I started working that someone checked the mail and found my thank you card still in there, unopened!

Good luck to your friend!

11. Honestly, I think it is cute when someone sends me a thank you email or card after an interview, but I don't base my hiring decisions on it. I usually know if I'm going to hire someone before they leave the building. I then have to wrangle through an internal process to get the offer approved. Sometimes the process takes a few days. I get kind of annoyed with the process so it bugs me when someone keeps checking back, especially if they are checking with me and not our recruiting department. I'm usually hiring for highly technical software engineer positions though, not assistants, maybe that's a different story. When I'm hiring admin staff for the department my process doesn't change though. The last time I hired a coordinator it was a joint decision and we had 2 final candidates. One sent a note and one did not. We hired the one that did not because his personality matched the department better.

12. I went for a job with one of the big 5 a few years ago, I got a call to say it had been close out of myself and another chick. In the end neither of us got the job.
    A few days after that call, I rang the manager as i thought we got on extremely well. I wanted to know where i fell short etc, would i be well placed to apply for a job in the future etc. I really wanted to work there.
    He was happy to chat with me about this and in the end he was actually giving me an impromptu interview without me knowing. He tells me at the end after we have chatted for about 30 mins that he's very impressed and the job is mine. Im still there 9 years later.

We dont do thank you cards in Australia. I have never heard of this practice before. We do emails. Alot of our job placements are handled by recruitment companies actually, so they are our main contacts.

13. A thank you note or email - courteous. A phone call - pushy and wasting the time of the person you want to hire you.

I always have one person in a candidate pool who calls (one person called me three times after the interview!) - they never get hired.

14. I always try to send handwritten thank you cards if I know I have time. If I am at the beginning of the process and will not hear anything for 2 to 3 weeks (I always ask this) then I know I have time for handwritten. I went to a nice stationary store and got some locally handmade thank you cards that were both unique and professional for the position I have now.

15. I agree with this, and I used to work in HR/recruiting. A thank you e-mail is a nice gesture and should not backfire in any instance. I don't know of anyone who mails thank you notes.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't recommend a phone call follow-up... It's rough for an interviewee to put an interviewer on the spot if a decision hasn't been made yet, or if the interviewer is planning on rejecting the candidate. If you interviewed with more than one person or if your candidacy is being handled by a recruiter, it normally wouldn't help to call any of the interviewers because the recruiter will be the one to either extend an offer or to let you know it didn't work out.

In rare cases, if a team is on the fence or equally divided between two candidates, ect... a note or a call may help edge you in.

But usually, if you're the right person for the job, they WILL let you know without you needing to follow up, because they want you to start ASAP! It's surprisingly expensive to have open reqs and to hire someone and get them started.