Job Hunt: US Expats in London--Reveal yourselves!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I've been in London for just over a year studying marketing and I would like to stay. I've been getting a little interest from some companies, but nothing sticks. I need a visa to stay and I'm seriously running out of time.

Any help/suggestions/tips would be so appreciated!
    :smile:

2. Sorry I don't really have any tips, but my guess is that these companies aren't willing to sponsor you because of the hassle and costs involved. When I was looking into jobs in foreign countries, all of the postings made it very clear that you must already be able to work/live there- they weren't interested in having to sponsor someone.

Perhaps your school would have some connections to employers who are willing to sponsor foreigners who are well qualified for their open positions.

3. #3 May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    I don't have specific experience with London, but I do with being an expat in Scandinavia. I don't know what your nationality is, but depending on that, and your age, you could qualify for a youth work/holiday visa which would let you stay a year with the right to work for 6 months. (Although these are usually most useful if you are Canadian, Australian, or NZ). (Edit: woops, just read your thread title. I don't htink there is a youth visa program for Americans)

When you say you're been getting some interest from companies..what does that mean? You had an interview?

My suggestions are:
    -Focus on larger companies that are more familiar with hiring expats (it takes time and resources that smaller firms might not be willing to commit).
    -Know your visa/work options. If the company is on the verge of hiring you and the topic of your visa situation comes up, you need to be knowledgable about what has to be done. Don't assume the company HR will know the procedure or do it right. You need to research your visa options (what forms do you need, where do you apply, who needs to sponsor you, how long will it take, can you work during that time the visa is in process, do you need to leave the country to apply...so many things). But the more serious you take the visa process, the more likely a company will see you are serious about staying.

Don't give up! At least not after one rejection. If a company rejects you three times, then give up (maybe).