Jewelry Store Lost My Ring

mcb100

O.G.
Jan 8, 2007
Hi, all. I am very upset. I don't mean to bash anybody's company and have the upmost respect for retail workers, but this is my true story of what just happened. SO and me picked out a very pretty diamond promise ring for me for our anniversary at the beginning of February last month from Zales. Since we couldn't find anything we liked in store, we bought it online from their website. It arrived way over the scheduled due date, I think it took like over 4 weeks to come in, and that was fine.

It needed to be resized a half size down, as I have tiny fingers. So we took in to the Zales store to be resized. Customer service was terrible. The sales associate who rung up our resizing sale just didn't know anything. First, she handed it back to me and told me it couldn't be resized. Then, she took it away from me and said "oh yes it can be resized." Ok. Then it was the same with the protection plan "This doesn't qualify for it" "oh wait, yes it does.". But she could not answer basic questions. Could not tell me how the protection plan worked at all (if i needed to bring my ring in for cleaning once every six months for the plan to be valid, if I could bring it in whenever.). So now we bought this protection plan with no clue how it works, still. (I'm not a typical customer at Zales, but at other jewelry stores.). That was fine. We walked out and they told us it would be ready in two weeks.

Two weeks passed by, and no ring. I called and they simply said it's not in yet, it will be in no longer than 3 weeks. 3 weeks passed by, and nothing. Fine, maybe it's just taking a little while. Then I call and am told that it will most definitely be here no later than March 7th. (It is now the 11th.) SO calls the store 5 times on a mid weekday (not a busy weekend) and nobody answers. Then I call 7 times and nobody answers?? Fast forward to today, we get a phone call stating that our ring has been lost in transit and that they are sorry but there is not much they can do. Manager cannot answer any questions or give me the name of where they send the rings to, to be resized. She says loss prevention will call us on Tuesday and that is all that they can do.

Manager says that we can keep on waiting for the ring but there is no guarantee that we will get it. (I guess the other rings all came back and ours didn't.) The only thing she says we can do is wait for a call four days from now from security/loss prevention and then they will refund us everything and we will have to repurchase everything. I said, "Because we ordered it online and that took weeks to arrive, and then you guys had us wait many weeks to be resized, (over a month) and now to do it all over again will take another month, is there any compensation for this?" But she only said that no, she doesn't know.
So now I'm feeling kind of disappointed and hopeless about it, but I really do want the ring.

Sorry. What a nightmare!

My engagement ring came from zales.
(absolutely nothing else did or will)
With that cleaning/protection plan.
At some point in regular cleanings, they announced ring was old enough to require "prong work." Though none were loose or problematic.
Watched clerk twirl my expensive ring on her finger. And explain "being X years old" was sole reason it "probably needs repairing." At off-site location. Which involved wait, extra cost. To do nothing, imo.
I never went back. Had no faith in their guarantee, etc. afterwards.

As hard as it is to lose "the" ring--suggest get refund promised.
Be grateful for lesson early in ring ownership.
And either buy online again--have actual jeweler resize.
Or buy something with better situation/service attached.
Best luck.

I think you are getting the run around & Zales is not handling you in a professional & respectful manner.
The ring is now lost "in transit".. Zales should take responsibility for this.
I would consider contacting my credit card company & file a dispute ( if this is how you funded your purchase)
This is so wrong so very wrong.
I'd go elsewhere & have an open mind & look for another ring.
Good luck

Reactions: Shopgirl1996
I'm so sorry this happened to you.

I recall there was a very similar thread posted awhile back; it scares me how often items get "lost" by them or stories of them switching stones. Definitely disconcerting to say the least.

There have been a couple threads about Zales losing rings. The most recent one is this:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/zales-lost-my-wedding-ring-during-polishing.953235/

An older thread about misadventures of TPFers with Zales can be found here:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...tory-my-engagement-ring-a-big-warning.205095/
And here:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/zales-what-you-must-know-help.703861/

There have been stories in the mainstream media about Zales customers having their stones switched out of their rings when Zales ships them off for cleaning.

There have been a couple threads about Zales losing rings. The most recent one is this:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/zales-lost-my-wedding-ring-during-polishing.953235/

An older thread about misadventures of TPFers with Zales can be found here:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads...tory-my-engagement-ring-a-big-warning.205095/
And here:
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/zales-what-you-must-know-help.703861/

There have been stories in the mainstream media about Zales customers having their stones switched out of their rings when Zales ships them off for cleaning.
Wow!:shocked:
Did not choose my engagement ring.
But like it very much.
Service at zales gave me creepy willies--glad I refused to send away ring!
Note: in 21+ years, diamond still tight & prongs fine.:doh:

Reactions: skyqueen
Wow!:shocked:
Did not choose my engagement ring.
But like it very much.
Service at zales gave me creepy willies--glad I refused to send away ring!
Note: in 21+ years, diamond still tight & prongs fine.:doh:

My mother always told me never to buy "mall jewelry" that cost more than $100.
I think she was prolly right.

My mother always told me never to buy "mall jewelry" that cost more than $100.
I think she was prolly right.
Time past, young men wandered free through world & chose engagement rings.
Then proposed.
To surprised women. Who screamed & flailed hands about. Then spilled things in panicked joy.

Probably man in my life would make different choice for ring, decades later.
But it still means great deal to me. And find beautiful.:flowers:

Time past, young men wandered free through world & chose engagement rings.
Then proposed.
To surprised women. Who screamed & flailed hands about. Then spilled things in panicked joy.

Probably man in my life would make different choice for ring, decades later.
But it still means great deal to me. And find beautiful.:flowers:

This is so true!
My husband knows now to go to real reputable jeweler. So many young men don't.
Do you still LIKE your ring? So many women don't years later. I think that's why the couple goes together now days.

Reactions: remainsilly
This is so true!
My husband knows now to go to real reputable jeweler. So many young men don't.
Do you still LIKE your ring? So many women don't years later. I think that's why the couple goes together now days.
Yes, still like.:hbeat:
I chose wedding band(from another jeweler)--to fit around solitaire.
rings.jpg
Honestly, we usually wear matching sterling silver bands.:giggle:
Bought together, few years into marriage.
And wear diamonds to events, etc.

Guess not so crucial for me.
Did not care much about wedding cake, dress, etc. either.
Tragic.:blush:

Yes, still like.:hbeat:
I chose wedding band(from another jeweler)--to fit around solitaire.
View attachment 3631272
Honestly, we usually wear matching sterling silver bands.:giggle:
Bought together, few years into marriage.
And wear diamonds to events, etc.

Guess not so crucial for me.
Did not care much about wedding cake, dress, etc. either.
Tragic.:blush:

Not tragic at all.
Not everyone wants to be princess for a day. Personally, I prefer to be queen EVERYDAY.
My hubbie and I have matching bands for everyday.
I only wear wedding set for out to dinner or "dressy" things.