Jewelry mishaps. Share and commiserate.

Feb 26, 2006
I nearly had a heart attack while out shopping yesterday. I was wearing my big, bold Ippolita Wicked Cascade earrings. It was a bit warm in the shop I was browsing, and I reached up to tuck my hair behind my ear. My hair must have gotten twisted around my earring, because tucking pulled the earring right off my ear! It fell a good five feet to the floor below. Somehow, the earring managed to survive the fall without a scratch, but I think the experience took a couple of years off my life. :P It got me thinking. I can't be the only one who has had a jewelry mishap, so let's talk about them!

Here's a stock pic of the earrings in my story:

Attachments

• ippolitawickedcascadeearrings.jpg
    ippolitawickedcascadeearrings.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,541
Wow, I'm glad you didn't lose it! (Big Ippolita fan here. :P) I think her stone earrings can take a beating, though.

My dog chewed my watch once. She was a new puppy at the time. The watch was lost for several days, then I found it in the back yard. It still worked! At least for a couple of years after that, I think.

Wow, I'm glad you didn't lose it! (Big Ippolita fan here. :P) I think her stone earrings can take a beating, though.

My dog chewed my watch once. She was a new puppy at the time. The watch was lost for several days, then I found it in the back yard. It still worked! At least for a couple of years after that, I think.

I felt it pop off and saw it fall to the floor, so I wasn't worried so much about it being lost as much as I was worried about it being damaged. You better believe I inspected the earring carefully, and I didn't find so much as a scratch. Even though the I agree that Ippolita makes very sturdy jewelry, I had my doubts about a five foot drop to a hard floor. I am impressed.

I lost a gold Cartier Panthere earring at Whole Foods! I didn't realize it until hours later. Someone found it and turned it in. I was so lucky!!

Glad you got it back. A similar thing happened to my mother. She was lucky an employee of the shop who knew her as a frequent customer found the earring and put it aside for her.

My mom gave me a diamond ring when I was in high school. During my first year of college, I lost it and never found it. I think it slipped off my finger. I was so, SO sad and looked all over the dorms, the bathroom, the street... I think someone pocketed it and kept it.

I was probably around 10 and I went to the beach with my 18k gold happy face earrings.

Of course, one of them fell into the ocean...... I still remember I cried a lot and my parents just said not to worry, haha.

I think I still have that single earring somewhere.

Was visiting a friend over the summer. There were a few pieces of jewellery I wore every day I was there that I kept in a dish in my underwear drawer including a pair of identical design diamond rings, one in white and the other in yellow gold that could be worn together or separately. They are the perfect stacking rings and so comfortable. I always wore them together. On the day before I left I went to pack my jewellery and only found the yellow gold ring. I searched everywhere. I mean, everywhere. I have never lost a piece of jewellery and always know where my pieces are. Also, I never will wear just one of the rings. They will either be worn together or side by side on the same hand. My friend had a cleaner that came twice a week and and she suspected she may have taken it. I said no, I didn't think she would. Let me search my thingsmore thoroughly. I got back home, emptied my suitcase, checked all my pockets. Nothing. I reluctantly tell my friend but told her I still didn't think it was the cleaner but it's starting to look like the only possible explanation. Weeks after I go into a shoe bag and the ring falls out. To this day I have no idea how the ring got there because it's not a place I would ever put my jewellery and I never separated the rings. I'm still confused over it but so glad my friend didn't say anything to the cleaner. I would have felt so horrible if she had.

Was visiting a friend over the summer. There were a few pieces of jewellery I wore every day I was there that I kept in a dish in my underwear drawer including a pair of identical design diamond rings, one in white and the other in yellow gold that could be worn together or separately. They are the perfect stacking rings and so comfortable. I always wore them together. On the day before I left I went to pack my jewellery and only found the yellow gold ring. I searched everywhere. I mean, everywhere. I have never lost a piece of jewellery and always know where my pieces are. Also, I never will wear just one of the rings. They will either be worn together or side by side on the same hand. My friend had a cleaner that came twice a week and and she suspected she may have taken it. I said no, I didn't think she would. Let me search my thingsmore thoroughly. I got back home, emptied my suitcase, checked all my pockets. Nothing. I reluctantly tell my friend but told her I still didn't think it was the cleaner but it's starting to look like the only possible explanation. Weeks after I go into a shoe bag and the ring falls out. To this day I have no idea how the ring got there because it's not a place I would ever put my jewellery and I never separated the rings. I'm still confused over it but so glad my friend didn't say anything to the cleaner. I would have felt so horrible if she had.

Glad to hear it wasn't stolen. I had a necklace that I wore all the time, and I took it off and told my husband to put it in my purse after I was in a car accident (I needed to remove my jewelry for a CT scan). When I got home, I looked for it in my purse and I couldn't find it. My bag wasn't zipped all the way, so I thought it was lost somewhere on the way home from the hospital. I ended up cutting my losses and replacing it. Almost a year later, I was cleaning out the same purse I used that day, and I felt something in the lining. I pulled it out, and it was my necklace! The necklace had blood on it, and I think the blood had "glued" it to the lining of the bag in the bottom of a pocket.

I was probably around 10 and I went to the beach with my 18k gold happy face earrings.

Of course, one of them fell into the ocean...... I still remember I cried a lot and my parents just said not to worry, haha.

I think I still have that single earring somewhere.

I lost a heart-shaped CZ earring from a pair my mom bought me when I was about 12. I kept that single earring for years.

I lost/misplaced a beautiful Roberto Coin bracelet, I've searched everywhere and to this day I still hope it will turn up, its been missing for 5 years now. It's the first piece of jewelry to ever go missing. Luckily my husband has never noticed.

My diamond stud earrings were stolen when I had a nose bleed at my dorm. We had a shared bathroom with two more people who enjoyed entertaining... Not so proper people if you catch my drift. No one ever turned it in and I had a lazy RA who didn't want to do the police report write up. I don't think I'll have earrings of that color and clarity and size for until my late 20s or most likely 30s. :sad:

My Tiffany arrow pendant fell off days later, I was sold a faulty piece with a broken clasp. I'm sure the sales associate knew bc I had trouble with the clasp. That was hell to deal with.

I was forced to loan a distant cousin my Tiffany bee necklace and have yet to have it returned... I've had other family mishaps of jewelry I was supposed to inherit too.

It sickens me to think of the total amount of money lost over the years... :sad:

My diamond stud earrings were stolen when I had a nose bleed at my dorm. We had a shared bathroom with two more people who enjoyed entertaining... Not so proper people if you catch my drift. No one ever turned it in and I had a lazy RA who didn't want to do the police report write up. I don't think I'll have earrings of that color and clarity and size for until my late 20s or most likely 30s. :sad:

My Tiffany arrow pendant fell off days later, I was sold a faulty piece with a broken clasp. I'm sure the sales associate knew bc I had trouble with the clasp. That was hell to deal with.

I was forced to loan a distant cousin my Tiffany bee necklace and have yet to have it returned... I've had other family mishaps of jewelry I was supposed to inherit too.

It sickens me to think of the total amount of money lost over the years... :sad:
Oh my God. All those stories are bad but the diamond studs! How horrible!

I lost/misplaced a beautiful Roberto Coin bracelet, I've searched everywhere and to this day I still hope it will turn up, its been missing for 5 years now. It's the first piece of jewelry to ever go missing. Luckily my husband has never noticed.
I've told this story before...so I'll keep it short.
I lost a Michael Bondanza locket for 12 YEARS in my horse paddock. When my thoroughbred died and was buried in the backyard the locket must have been dislodged from the dirt and came to the surface. Found it in the spring. Had the dents banged out, cleaned, monogrammed...better then new!
Miracles do happen!

Attachments

• michael bondanza locket 2.jpg
    michael bondanza locket 2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,315
  • Michael Bondanza locket.jpg
    Michael Bondanza locket.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1,323
I've told this story before...so I'll keep it short.
I lost a Michael Bondanza locket for 12 YEARS in my horse paddock. When my thoroughbred died and was buried in the backyard the locket must have been dislodged from the dirt and came to the surface. Found it in the spring. Had the dents banged out, cleaned, monogrammed...better then new!
Miracles do happen!

Wow! It's almost like your horse gave you one last gift. :crybaby: