Jewelry cleaning thread

Mar 27, 2009
I did a search but didn’t see a thread for this, so I thought I would start one. If there is one, please feel free to delete (but give me the link first lol)!
I have quite a bit of silver and gold pieces and I am looking for feedback from everyone about cleaning their jewelry.
What I usually do is soak my jewelry in warm water with some Dawn dish soap, scrub with a soft toothbrush, rinse, and then use a polishing cloth. I am currently using a Mayflower polishing cloth to remove tarnish.
However, I have always read that polishing cloths wear away the metal. I looked into that and realized that there are micro abrasives in most polishing cloths!
I honestly didn’t know this. I just thought the cloths were impregnated with a chemical that simply removes the tarnish.
Are there any cloths that simply have something to remove tarnish or does it always have micro abrasives?
I am also looking into either an ultrasonic cleaner or a steam cleaner. My husband is worried that the ultrasonic cleaner might loosen the diamonds in my wedding set. I have read that one must be careful with certain settings in an ultrasonic cleaner so I would love some feedback.

I use an ultrasonic for gold only now, after I lost a few diamonds on a pair of vintage diamond hoop earrings. I honestly did put them in for 20 minutes so it was completely my bad. I used to put other diamond pieces there as well, but after that incident, I am a little reluctant, although they all were fine. For diamonds and gemstones, I use your method.

This is what it says for an ultrasonic… Never put: Heavily included gemstones and diamonds (this includes salt and pepper diamonds) Amber, emeralds, fluorite, iolite, jade, kunzite, kyanite, labradorite, lapis lazuli, moonstone, opals, pearls, sunstone, tanzanite, topaz, tourmaline, turquoise and zircon.

I have this ultrasonic machine from Amazon which I use on gold only and have brought tarnished gold to bright yellow again…

I usually boil water in a cup in the microwave, because I read people clean gold and diamonds by throwing it in boiling water and put it in the ultrasonic with 2 drops of dishwater soap. I then rinse it with water. Others say steaming also helps clean jewelry.

I use these polishing cloths which I carry with me…

Reactions: darkangel07760
I use an ultrasonic for gold only now, after I lost a few diamonds on a pair of vintage diamond hoop earrings. I honestly did put them in for 20 minutes so it was completely my bad. I used to put other diamond pieces there as well, but after that incident, I am a little reluctant, although they all were fine. For diamonds and gemstones, I use your method.

This is what it says for an ultrasonic… Never put: Heavily included gemstones and diamonds (this includes salt and pepper diamonds) Amber, emeralds, fluorite, iolite, jade, kunzite, kyanite, labradorite, lapis lazuli, moonstone, opals, pearls, sunstone, tanzanite, topaz, tourmaline, turquoise and zircon.

I have this ultrasonic machine from Amazon which I use on gold only and have brought tarnished gold to bright yellow again…

I usually boil water in a cup in the microwave, because I read people clean gold and diamonds by throwing it in boiling water and put it in the ultrasonic with 2 drops of dishwater soap. I then rinse it with water. Others say steaming also helps clean jewelry.

I use these polishing cloths which I carry with me…

Thank you so much! I am really hesitant about the polishing cloths with abrasives. I don’t mind using them occasionally but I don’t want to make it a frequent thing because it appears that over time, it would polish off a layer of gold or silver. I am going to look into the steamer for my jewelry with stones.

I also use an ultrasonic machine. I'ved used for gold and silver and it works much better on fine jewelry than silver.
Silver needs to be dried immediately afterwards so that the moisture won't cause tarnishing.
I don't mind putting gemstones (sapphires, rubies, emeralds) and diamonds, but may hesitate on softer stones and would not put in things like pearls.

I usually use distilled water in the machine, which I think works great if you're going to clean often.

There are those jewelry cleaning solutions and I've gotten them from my SAs at Cartier and David Yurman, which work wonderfully well but honestly I don't bother to use them lol.

I'm not great at cleaning my jewelry in general but most of them are rings and bracelets and usually get cleaned when I wash my hands or in the shower. :P

I use an ultrasonic I got from Amazon, pretty cheap. And a foaming cleaner with a little brush for quick cleans. The steam cleaner at my jewelers (a big professional model) does the best job on my diamonds & gold though. They come out so sparkly!

This is my go to cleaning routine. Use a ceramic dish. Place on stove and add a mixture of 25% ammonia and 75% water. Place the jewelry carefully in the dish and heat on low temperature. Leave on low heat for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and then use a very soft toothbrush to clean.

This has been copied from my upcoming book and 50 years of retail experience:
The simplest approach to cleaning diamonds:

1. Add a dash of ammonia and dish washing detergent to a third of a cup of boiling or very hot water. Adding the ammonia and detergent will drop the temperature enough to not cause damage to any natural untreated diamonds. First put a plug in the sink as sometimes a claw has worn or broken off and dirt is the only thing holding a diamond in its setting. Large diamonds can suffer heat shock and can break, so slowly lower the back of the band in over several seconds so the diamond warms up. Very long diamonds and long crystal gems like tourmaline can snap in half when heat expands one end faster than the other end.

2. Scrub with a stiff toothbrush (keep one with your ammonia). Ignore internet advice to use a soft brush, the stiff bristles soften when hot and plastic can never scratch or damage metals or gems! Scrub underneath the setting and behind gems as well as through the sides of the settings; the dirt and grease on pavilions is the main culprit in reducing the brilliance and sparkle.

3. Add rubies and sapphires next when the temperature has dropped and the cleaning solution has cooled enough for you to just leave your finger in. It’s best to remove any diamonds beforehand to reduce the chance of softer gems being scratched.
  1. Clean chains and tennis bracelets regularly as the dirt is the abrasive that causes the wear with lots of tiny links rubbing on each other.

2. Add other gems later when the temperature decreases, making sure you can leave your finger in the warm solution.

3. Emeralds are very often dipped in oils or waxes to fill cracks and improve both appearance and durability (practiced since Roman times). So no swimming and no very hot solvent solutions. It’s best to use the toothbrush dipped in the lukewarm cleaning solution, scrub and warm water rinse.

4. Pearls and opals should not be subjected to heat. Both love water but do not get the string in a strand of pearls wet. Rub gently with a warm damp cloth.

5. Peridot and glass-filled gems (like cheap tourist rubies) should not be left in the solution for an extended time as they will react chemically.
1684114173236.png

The peridot on the left has been attacked by mild cleaning chemicals. One of the two fracture filled rubies has had lemon juice applied overnight which has etched the lead glass filler. Before they were a matched pair.
Diamonds, rubies, and sapphires transfer heat very rapidly and are the least likely to crack suffer heat shock. Dry with a tissue or soft, clean, lint free cloth. You can then safely use a hair dryer on a warm setting for diamonds, rubies and sapphires.

Never use toothpaste! It will leave a white film on the pavilions of your diamonds and has no cleaning benefit at all other than being an abrasive that can polish the band slightly.

Gin and other alcoholic spirits will dissolve grease and oils but not as well as a hot ammonia and detergent solution.

Paint sticks to diamonds really well and you may need a paint solvent after DIY renovations.

Never put the cleaning solution in a saucepan and heat on the stove. I have seen far too many destroyed jewels because your best friend called you for a chat. Bring the boiling water to the cup!

If you have an ultrasonic cleaner, use the same process but with just a bearably finger hot solution. The transducer that makes the buzzing sound is glued on and excessive heat will unstick it and make your cleaner lose its effectiveness. Even the little cheap vibrating ones for les than $15 work really well.

A steam cleaner is great for a final rinse and also for removing grime between tight spaces of a setting and the gems. This is often a problem with tapered Tiffany style settings where the prongs are in direct contact with the diamond pavilion. After the previous process a blast of steam behind the gems does wonders. Some espresso coffee maker milk steamers will even do the trick.

From time to time have your jewels professionally cleaned and the prongs and settings checked. A good jeweler will have a powerful ultrasonic and steam cleaner and will also alert you to any damage to diamonds and gems.

Finally my personal HUSBAND advice tip. Rather than sit in the car honking the horn while she is adding makeup or whatever takes that long before heading out to dinner with friends, go and clean her jewels.

I recently started using the Dawn Powerwash (with the spray pump), and I'm super impressed. Jewelry that's been recklessly subject to sunscreen + 1 pump of the Dawn directly on it + super hot water in the ultrasonic (and I use RO water) -- 2 cycles and everything is sparkling! The only thing I've recently changed is the soap.

I recently started using the Dawn Powerwash (with the spray pump), and I'm super impressed. Jewelry that's been recklessly subject to sunscreen + 1 pump of the Dawn directly on it + super hot water in the ultrasonic (and I use RO water) -- 2 cycles and everything is sparkling! The only thing I've recently changed is the soap.
That works, but it will work better if you add a dash of cloudy ammonia you should be able to get at a supermarket. That raises the grease cutting power (but is tough on the nose and should not be inhailed too much, however it is not toxic).

I did a search but didn’t see a thread for this, so I thought I would start one. If there is one, please feel free to delete (but give me the link first lol)!
I have quite a bit of silver and gold pieces and I am looking for feedback from everyone about cleaning their jewelry.
What I usually do is soak my jewelry in warm water with some Dawn dish soap, scrub with a soft toothbrush, rinse, and then use a polishing cloth. I am currently using a Mayflower polishing cloth to remove tarnish.
However, I have always read that polishing cloths wear away the metal. I looked into that and realized that there are micro abrasives in most polishing cloths!
I honestly didn’t know this. I just thought the cloths were impregnated with a chemical that simply removes the tarnish.
Are there any cloths that simply have something to remove tarnish or does it always have micro abrasives?
I am also looking into either an ultrasonic cleaner or a steam cleaner. My husband is worried that the ultrasonic cleaner might loosen the diamonds in my wedding set. I have read that one must be careful with certain settings in an ultrasonic cleaner so I would love some feedback.
I suddenly remember I haven’t got back to you on my ultrasonic cleaner pic! Sorry about it. I haven’t dug it out from my store room. It’s stuffed right deep inside (my husband kept it for me). I will dig it out soon and show you as it’s time to clean mine.

This has been copied from my upcoming book and 50 years of retail experience:
The simplest approach to cleaning diamonds:

1. Add a dash of ammonia and dish washing detergent to a third of a cup of boiling or very hot water. Adding the ammonia and detergent will drop the temperature enough to not cause damage to any natural untreated diamonds. First put a plug in the sink as sometimes a claw has worn or broken off and dirt is the only thing holding a diamond in its setting. Large diamonds can suffer heat shock and can break, so slowly lower the back of the band in over several seconds so the diamond warms up. Very long diamonds and long crystal gems like tourmaline can snap in half when heat expands one end faster than the other end.

2. Scrub with a stiff toothbrush (keep one with your ammonia). Ignore internet advice to use a soft brush, the stiff bristles soften when hot and plastic can never scratch or damage metals or gems! Scrub underneath the setting and behind gems as well as through the sides of the settings; the dirt and grease on pavilions is the main culprit in reducing the brilliance and sparkle.

3. Add rubies and sapphires next when the temperature has dropped and the cleaning solution has cooled enough for you to just leave your finger in. It’s best to remove any diamonds beforehand to reduce the chance of softer gems being scratched.
  1. Clean chains and tennis bracelets regularly as the dirt is the abrasive that causes the wear with lots of tiny links rubbing on each other.

2. Add other gems later when the temperature decreases, making sure you can leave your finger in the warm solution.

3. Emeralds are very often dipped in oils or waxes to fill cracks and improve both appearance and durability (practiced since Roman times). So no swimming and no very hot solvent solutions. It’s best to use the toothbrush dipped in the lukewarm cleaning solution, scrub and warm water rinse.

4. Pearls and opals should not be subjected to heat. Both love water but do not get the string in a strand of pearls wet. Rub gently with a warm damp cloth.

5. Peridot and glass-filled gems (like cheap tourist rubies) should not be left in the solution for an extended time as they will react chemically.
View attachment 5782960

The peridot on the left has been attacked by mild cleaning chemicals. One of the two fracture filled rubies has had lemon juice applied overnight which has etched the lead glass filler. Before they were a matched pair.
Diamonds, rubies, and sapphires transfer heat very rapidly and are the least likely to crack suffer heat shock. Dry with a tissue or soft, clean, lint free cloth. You can then safely use a hair dryer on a warm setting for diamonds, rubies and sapphires.

Never use toothpaste! It will leave a white film on the pavilions of your diamonds and has no cleaning benefit at all other than being an abrasive that can polish the band slightly.

Gin and other alcoholic spirits will dissolve grease and oils but not as well as a hot ammonia and detergent solution.

Paint sticks to diamonds really well and you may need a paint solvent after DIY renovations.

Never put the cleaning solution in a saucepan and heat on the stove. I have seen far too many destroyed jewels because your best friend called you for a chat. Bring the boiling water to the cup!

If you have an ultrasonic cleaner, use the same process but with just a bearably finger hot solution. The transducer that makes the buzzing sound is glued on and excessive heat will unstick it and make your cleaner lose its effectiveness. Even the little cheap vibrating ones for les than $15 work really well.

A steam cleaner is great for a final rinse and also for removing grime between tight spaces of a setting and the gems. This is often a problem with tapered Tiffany style settings where the prongs are in direct contact with the diamond pavilion. After the previous process a blast of steam behind the gems does wonders. Some espresso coffee maker milk steamers will even do the trick.

From time to time have your jewels professionally cleaned and the prongs and settings checked. A good jeweler will have a powerful ultrasonic and steam cleaner and will also alert you to any damage to diamonds and gems.

Finally my personal HUSBAND advice tip. Rather than sit in the car honking the horn while she is adding makeup or whatever takes that long before heading out to dinner with friends, go and clean her jewels.
Wonderful advice thank you!

I might have to get some of that Dawn!

I suddenly remember I haven’t got back to you on my ultrasonic cleaner pic! Sorry about it. I haven’t dug it out from my store room. It’s stuffed right deep inside (my husband kept it for me). I will dig it out soon and show you as it’s time to clean mine.
Wonderful thank you!

@darkangel07760
I finally got it out from the storeroom. Sorry for taking so long!

It’s a China brand. Haven’t been cleaning my pieces for many months. I’m going to clean my Clash soon and see what gunk I can get.
IMG_5739.jpegIMG_5740.jpeg