Jewelry Authentication Resources

iusen

Mar 1, 2018
Hi, apologies if this has peen posted before but I didn’t see anything like this! Does anyone know of reliable places for jewelry authentication or secondhand platforms that are known to only sell authentic? I know pretty much every secondhand platform like TheRealReal. Tradesey, etc. will say they guarantee authenticity but I’ve heard of fakes slipping through the cracks. Thanks in advance!

Hi, apologies if this has peen posted before but I didn’t see anything like this! Does anyone know of reliable places for jewelry authentication or secondhand platforms that are known to only sell authentic? I know pretty much every secondhand platform like TheRealReal. Tradesey, etc. will say they guarantee authenticity but I’ve heard of fakes slipping through the cracks. Thanks in advance!

Do you mean that can vouch for their brand authenticity or the precious metal/gem breakdown/quality/quotient?

Do you mean that can vouch for their brand authenticity or the precious metal/gem breakdown/quality/quotient?
Sorry, I mean brand authenticity! I think I saw some names like Authenticate4U but it seems that their reputation is built more on bags. I suppose for the most part the metal content goes hand in hand with brand authenticity as a lower gold % mix would indicate a fake since the brands I’m thinking of only do 18k gold.

Reactions: papertiger
Sorry, I mean brand authenticity! I think I saw some names like Authenticate4U but it seems that their reputation is built more on bags. I suppose for the most part the metal content goes hand in hand with brand authenticity as a lower gold % mix would indicate a fake since the brands I’m thinking of only do 18k gold.

Totally, I don't think most counterfeiters would want to create their wares with precious metal, after all it's all about the bottom line. However some of these sights sell non-branded jewellery, 1.5 ct diamond rings or estate sale emerald earrings etc.

Thanks for the clarification.

Totally, I don't think most counterfeiters would want to create their wares with precious metal, after all it's all about the bottom line. However some of these sights sell non-branded jewellery, 1.5 ct diamond rings or estate sale emerald earrings etc.

Thanks for the clarification.

I actually have heard of high quality 18k jewelry fakes which is why I’m so wary! And I know there’s a lot of non-branded jewelry on such websites but I’m actually looking for a specific Bulgari necklace.

On that topic, I’m also wondering if Bulgari will (un?)officially authenticate if the piece is brought in store. I’ve read here that some stores like Tiffany will service the piece if it’s real, providing a roundabout method of authentication. But I don’t have a lot of knowledge here and would love to here more educated opinions!

I actually have heard of high quality 18k jewelry fakes which is why I’m so wary! And I know there’s a lot of non-branded jewelry on such websites but I’m actually looking for a specific Bulgari necklace.

On that topic, I’m also wondering if Bulgari will (un?)officially authenticate if the piece is brought in store. I’ve read here that some stores like Tiffany will service the piece if it’s real, providing a roundabout method of authentication. But I don’t have a lot of knowledge here and would love to here more educated opinions!

Well, if you took the necklace in to Bvlgari and they refused to clean/repair it you'd def have your answer.

Hi, hoping to get some advice. I am very interested in purchasing a pair of De Beers earrings from a seller on vestiaire collective - however I have heard bad things about their authenticity process. The seller has provided me with a photo of the Authenticity Card and seems legit. De Beers said they will not authenticate anything not purchased through them. Any advice on how to check the details on the card/tell tell signs on the packaging etc would be greatly appreciated!