jet set saffiano zip top tote or hamilton east west satchel

Sassyjgm

Nov 13, 2013
Help!

I am stuck between two styles of handbags. I love satchels- so lady like and elegant. (Hamilton) However, I like the practicality of a tote. (jet set zip top) I'm 30, tall and lean at 5"7' so both styles work well. As a school teacher I carry my bag everyday, but have a safe place to stash it in my classroom. I don't carry a ton is stuff, but extra space is always a plus for weekend running with my 3 year old in tow, but I don't want to look to much like a mommy. Both bags will fit my tablet when I occasionally take it out the house.

What oh what to pick? I buy one handbag a year, as I'm on an elementary school teacher's budget. Any suggestions are welcome.

Are you trying to decide between the e/w Hamilton and the Jet Set zip top tote OR the larger n/s Hamilton tote and the Jet Set zip top tote?

OK, I just read your thread title more closely. If it's between the e/w Hamilton and the jet set zip top, for your purposes, I would go with the jet set zip top...more room for your work and child's stuff.

Last edited:
I vote for the jet set tote. I think it will be more practical as an everyday bag, especially if you have a little one. And the saffiano leather is so durable!

Good luck deciding! :biggrin:

We are very close in age and height/lean (29, 5'6 and lean). I actually would suggest the hamilton since you only purchase once a year. I purchased the jet set top zip and am returning b/c its not as versatile. You can use the Hamilton with any outfit in my opinion, or if you aren't a hamilton fan I think the sutton is to die for as well. Good luck

Since you said only one bag per year, I would pick the Hamilton or Sutton. Although, I have and like the zip top tote, it has no "wow" factor. The other two bags are beautiful and practical...... :biggrin:

That is what is so hard about this purchase....I usually purchase my practical neutrals, but I promised myself that my next bag would be colorful. A statement piece. My practical side wants to win. But let's face it, $200+ handbags are not practical. It's just something I really want...

That is what is so hard about this purchase....I usually purchase my practical neutrals, but I promised myself that my next bag would be colorful. A statement piece. My practical side wants to win. But let's face it, $200+ handbags are not practical. It's just something I really want...
The main reason I suggested the Jet Set zip top tote is because it has a zip top. Both the e/w Hamilton and Sutton have open tops. Even stashing the bag away in your classroom, I would be concerned with an open top bag being left unattended, especially when you have your tablet with you. I would also be concerned with some of your child's smaller things falling out when using it on the weekend. The Sutton does mitigate this a bit with its separate zipper sections, but it still has a large open center section where most of your things will be placed. Have you considered the Selma?

I personally wasn't crazy about the jet set tote, and my fiancee said it looked like it was for a older lady, not that I agree with that statement but just his opinion. But if you do decide to get the jet set tote right now they have it for $173.59 at lordandtaylor.com in scarlet and aqua, I say hurry so you can take advantage of the clearance price.

I have two jet set zip top totes (Sapphire and Summer Blue) and one e/w Hamilton (Raspberry). The jet set zip top totes are more comfortable to carry and more practical. They hold a lot and are more secure. They do not look like "older lady" bags in my opinion and I have received tons of compliments on both of them (more than my raspberry Hamilton). The Hamilton is heavier and since I have a bad shoulder, that is no fun for me personally. The Hamilton is more for going out in my opinion while the jet set zip top totes are more for running errands and going to work. Just my two cents.

I don't have a Hamilton, but I do have two Jet Set zip top totes. The Jet Set tote is so easy to carry, lightweight, holds a lot and has a secure opening. I also love that you can see everything in the bag when you unzip it. Its just an all around great bag, and I consider it to be very practical while still being attractive.

I have two jet set zip top totes (Sapphire and Summer Blue) and one e/w Hamilton (Raspberry). The jet set zip top totes are more comfortable to carry and more practical. They hold a lot and are more secure. They do not look like "older lady" bags in my opinion and I have received tons of compliments on both of them (more than my raspberry Hamilton). The Hamilton is heavier and since I have a bad shoulder, that is no fun for me personally. The Hamilton is more for going out in my opinion while the jet set zip top totes are more for running errands and going to work. Just my two cents.
I agree I don't think it looks like a "older lady" bag, however I was on the fence when it arrived in the mail so I asked him and I'm sure him saying that didn't bring me closer to keeping it. I saw a lot of woman on Youtube of all ages with it, maybe it just wasn't right for me, b/c it looked great when they were modeling it.....

I personally wasn't crazy about the jet set tote, and my fiancee said it looked like it was for a older lady, not that I agree with that statement but just his opinion. But if you do decide to get the jet set tote right now they have it for $173.59 at lordandtaylor.com in scarlet and aqua, I say hurry so you can take advantage of the clearance price.
Thanks for the tip!