'Jeopardy!' host Alex Trebek diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer

bag-mania

O.G.
Apr 6, 2007
Aw man, I can't think of Jeopardy without Alex Trebek.:sad:

'Jeopardy!' host Alex Trebek announces he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer

Alex Trebek, the longtime host of "Jeopardy!" announced he has stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

The 78-year-old appeared to be in good spirits as he revealed the devastating diagnosis on the game show's YouTube channel Wednesday, adding, "I wanted to be the one to pass along this information."

"Just like 50,000 other people in the United States each year, this week I was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer," he said. "Now normally, the prognosis for this is not very encouraging, but I’m going to fight this, and I’m going to keep working."

Trebek vowed to take on the disease with "with the love and support of my family and friends and with the help of your prayers."

"I plan to beat the low survival rate statistics for this disease," he said. "Truth told, I have to! Because under the terms of my contract, I have to host 'Jeopardy!' for three more years!"

Although Trebek took medical leave from the show in January 2018, following surgery to remove blood clots from his brain after a fall, and hinted at retirement during an interview with TMZ's Harvey Levin on Fox News Channel's "OBJECTified" in July 2018, the beloved host put viewers at ease by renewing his contract through 2022.

Trebek has been at the helm of "Jeopardy!" since 1984.

He continued: "So help me. Keep the faith and we’ll win. We’ll get it done."

The legendary game-show host decided to share the news himself to follow his "longtime policy of being open and transparent with our 'Jeopardy!' fan base."

"I also wanted to prevent you from reading or hearing some overblown or inaccurate reports regarding my health," he said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...-he-has-stage-4-pancreatic-cancer/3085275002/

• Sad
Reactions: CarryOn2020
Dh recently lost an uncle to pancreatic cancer. Stage 4 isn't curable; palliative care is about all there is. Sometimes chemo or other treatments might be tried to shrink a tumor that's causing other issues, but the cancer has already spread, and the median survival is between two and six months. Five year survival is less than 1%. My heart goes out to him and his family.

No matter how advanced the cancer is, after a certain age, all cancers are considered stage 4. That is because the stages are based on the 5 year survival rate. At age 78, his chances of living 5 more years, even without cancer, aren't very good. I know this because when my mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, she told me not to worry about it being stage 4. She lived many years after that.

I never met Alex Trebek but he had a horse ranch not far from us. Maybe he still does; we moved.

Reactions: Julide
[emoji22] so sad. It’s the one show my family and I love watching when we come home from work each night. I think he’s such a great character and has such a good sense of humour.

No matter how advanced the cancer is, after a certain age, all cancers are considered stage 4. That is because the stages are based on the 5 year survival rate. At age 78, his chances of living 5 more years, even without cancer, aren't very good. I know this because when my mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, she told me not to worry about it being stage 4. She lived many years after that.

I never met Alex Trebek but he had a horse ranch not far from us. Maybe he still does; we moved.

I'm sorry about your Mum, but that's not true about cancer stages. Cancer after a certain age is not considered Stage 4. Staging takes in many factors and is medically graded regardless of age.

Staging takes into account TNM and the number systems
TNM is Tumour(size and how far it has spread to nearby tissue), Nodes (if it is in the lymph nodes) and Metastasis(if it's spread to another part of the body)

Number system
Stage 1: small and hasn't spread
Stage 2: larger than stage 1 but probaby hasn't spread to other organs.
Stage 3: larger and probably in the lymph nodes
Stage 4: the worst and the cancer has spread to other organs - secondary cancer.