Jennifer Lopez & Ben Affleck

When I was referring to her genes, I was thinking of how youthful she looks overall, not just her body, and I absolutely believe that genes play a big part in that. Surely you know people who smoke or binge drink or lay in the sun or don't sleep properly and still somehow look good, and others with the same bad habits which clearly show in their face and body. I'm not sure what's bothersome about that, isn't that just common sense?
Obviously genetics play a role in maintaining a youthful appearance, how your body distributes fat, your physical bone structure, etc. You're not the only person to mention genetics which is why I did not quote you directly. But since you're bothered....what genetics doesn't do is make you fit and it's obvious from my post and the preceding posts that her physical body was the subject. There are many women who believe that having/maintaining a fit body at 40+ has to do with genetics and that is what's bothersome because it's simply a projection of their own physical laziness/lack of discipline to be blunt. But to answer your question, no it's not common sense to many people....that whole common sense isn't common thing.

Obviously genetics play a role in maintaining a youthful appearance, how your body distributes fat, your physical bone structure, etc. You're not the only person to mention genetics which is why I did not quote you directly. But since you're bothered....what genetics doesn't do is make you fit and it's obvious from my post and the preceding posts that her physical body was the subject. There are many women who believe that having/maintaining a fit body at 40+ has to do with genetics and that is what's bothersome because it's simply a projection of their own physical laziness/lack of discipline to be blunt. But to answer your question, no it's not common sense to many people....that whole common sense isn't common thing.
Oh I didn't realize women thought that genetics can make you fit, of course I agree with you on that, hard work, discipline and exercise is what makes you fit. However when it comes to JLo specifically, I don't think of her as just having a fit body, I think she is a freak of nature that looks amazing overall, I mean the woman doesn't age, and genetics have to play part in that. So the only thing that bothers me is if women are looking at JLo and thinking "I could look like that too if only I wasn't lazy." Well no, you can be fit too but you will look as good as your genetics will allow. And chances are, if you go crazy at the gym and are almost 50, you are going to get that hard harsh look to your face and the only explanation I have for JLo avoiding that is she must have some amazing genetics on her side. That's where I was coming from.

I remember JLo saying she went grey in her 20s. That reminds me of my mom's side of the family who got white hairs in their 30s but look about 15 years younger than their actual age. When my mom's younger sister asks for the senior's discount, even with ID they still don't believe her! Makes me feel not so bad about my white hairs!

Genetics / nature definitely have something to do with how she looks. I don't know why people got all defensive. Of course it takes a LOT of hard work (dirt+training) to look like that at any age and she clearly puts in the effort, no one's taking that from her.

It's the whole package, her body shape and proportions, hair, gorgeous skin, etc. not all that can be achieved with just training and hard work.

Oh I didn't realize women thought that genetics can make you fit, of course I agree with you on that, hard work, discipline and exercise is what makes you fit. However when it comes to JLo specifically, I don't think of her as just having a fit body, I think she is a freak of nature that looks amazing overall, I mean the woman doesn't age, and genetics have to play part in that. So the only thing that bothers me is if women are looking at JLo and thinking "I could look like that too if only I wasn't lazy." Well no, you can be fit too but you will look as good as your genetics will allow. And chances are, if you go crazy at the gym and are almost 50, you are going to get that hard harsh look to your face and the only explanation I have for JLo avoiding that is she must have some amazing genetics on her side. That's where I was coming from.
No they don't think genetics makes your fit. What I said was "There are many women who believe that having/maintaining a fit body at 40+ has to do with genetics". JLo is hardly a freak of nature....she looks good for her age but is that really all that surprising with her being Latina? Women of color generally age pretty well. Plus it helps that her diet is free of alcohol, caffeine and other foods that age you. She's very disciplined and it's commendable because I probably could never give up my coffee.

Last edited: